Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Finance (N300) at both Unis, only difference is Queens gives me a year in industry. I've received an offer from Heriot Watt and haven't heard back from Queens yet but if I do get an offer I'm not sure of where I should put as my insurance as I would love to go to Edinburgh but wonder if it would be a mistake to not take Queens considering it's a Russell Group and is giving me an industry year?

Which do you think I should go for assuming I get an offer, entry requirements will be similar.. would I be disadvantaged to pick The Heriot Watt course over Queens or would employers still find me equally as attractive? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O999)
    I've applied for Finance (N300) at both Unis, only difference is Queens gives me a year in industry. I've received an offer from Heriot Watt and haven't heard back from Queens yet but if I do get an offer I'm not sure of where I should put as my insurance as I would love to go to Edinburgh but wonder if it would be a mistake to not take Queens considering it's a Russell Group and is giving me an industry year?

Which do you think I should go for assuming I get an offer, entry requirements will be similar.. would I be disadvantaged to pick The Heriot Watt course over Queens or would employers still find me equally as attractive? Thanks

Hi 0999!

First of all, huge congratulations on receiving an offer from us! :congrats:

Hopefully someone else can give you a response from a different perspective but I’m happy to talk about Finance at Heriot-Watt.

I’ll let you know about our industry links seeing as that is an area of interest for you. We have loads of links with major financial companies and this is really helped by our location in Edinburgh - the UK’s second largest financial hub and Scotland’s capital. We have guest lectures from industry on lots of our courses on the finance programme and our proactive students (like yourself ) regularly secure summer internships through these links or our excellent careers service which you can check out here: http://www.careers.hw.ac.uk/index.php

Our Accountancy and Finance degrees are accredited by all the leading professional bodies in the UK and our other degrees within the department give graduates a number of exemptions from professional exams as you progress through your career. This is maybe why 90% of our students who are in work within six months of graduating are doing so in a professional/managerial position.

You may already know but we have a really good reputation at subject level for Finance across the whole of the UK. We were ranked 1st best in Scotland and 3rd best in the UK for Accountancy and Finance in this year’s Guardian University Guide.

Our Finance students also give us great reviews in the National Student Survey which is a really good sign cause it shows their overall experience is positive with our Finance programme and the university itself!

As you mentioned, on top of the degree itself we do have the huge benefit of Edinburgh. It is an amazing place to live, very affordable with a great student population and nightlife and obviously loads of history, culture and shopping. There are international festivals (like the fringe) that are held throughout the year which means the city is always changing and offering something new!

If you’d like to know more, and hear specifics about our industry links get in touch at [email protected] and say Daniel from the School of Social Sciences sent you!

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your reply, it was really helpful! Hoping to get over to one of the Applicant days but haven't got an invitation yet.
    Thanks again Daniel!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O999)
    Thank you so much for your reply, it was really helpful! Hoping to get over to one of the Applicant days but haven't got an invitation yet.
    Thanks again Daniel!!
    Great, happy to help!

We're just finalising the invites for applicant visit days so we will be sending them out in the next 2 weeks! I can tell you that they are held on Fridays and Saturdays throughout March and April.

See you on campus!

Daniel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.