Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I believe myself to be a bright and ambitious student, and for as long as i can remember, as hard as it was, i wanted to take medicine; however after my year 10 exam results i'm getting extremely worried about these GCSE's and would like to know if, so far, my grades are good enough:
    1) Science B - 1 Mark off A
    2) English Lang. B - 1 Mark off A
    3) Maths - B
    4) T&T - Distinction/Distinction*
    I was very disappointed with these grades and further frustrated at myself and examiners for ludicrous remarks.
    My predicted grades for the remaining 6 subjects are:
    History - A/A*
    Add. Science - A
    French - A*
    MS- A
    ICT - A
    English Lit - A
    I have been accepted into sixth forms for Biology, Chemistry and History -
    I Would like to know if those B's will affect my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar_)
    I believe myself to be a bright and ambitious student, and for as long as i can remember, as hard as it was, i wanted to take medicine; however after my year 10 exam results i'm getting extremely worried about these GCSE's and would like to know if, so far, my grades are good enough:
    1) Science B - 1 Mark off A
    2) English Lang. B - 1 Mark off A
    3) Maths - B
    4) T&T - Distinction/Distinction*
    I was very disappointed with these grades and further frustrated at myself and examiners for ludicrous remarks.
    My predicted grades for the remaining 6 subjects are:
    History - A/A*
    Add. Science - A
    French - A*
    MS- A
    ICT - A
    English Lit - A
    I have been accepted into sixth forms for Biology, Chemistry and History -
    I Would like to know if those B's will affect my chances?
    Maths, English and the Sciences are core subjects and some med schools require an A/A* in them, so you shouldn't apply to those ones. Also it doesn't look like your GCSE's will be competitive at GCSE heavy med schools, so you will have to work and hard and make other parts of your application strong ( UKCAT/BMAT, PS and A2 predictions) so you can apply to uni's which focus on these.

You still have a good chance but there's a long way to go. Focus on getting as many A*/As in your remaining GCSE's and also look into work experience and voluntary work which is essential.

ReputationRep:
    Entirely depends on what medical schools you plan on applying to. Some are very particular about GCSEs and having A*s in certain subjects, but as long as you avoid those few, your chances of getting a place are still very much in your own hands.
    Focus on getting your A/A*s in the rest of your subjects, then knuckle down to do as well as your can in your A levels and UKCAT/BMAT. On top of the academic, make sure you start thinking about getting work experience at a range of places (nursing homes, hospice, hospital, GP surgery, school, charities for disadvantaged/disabled) as that will strengthen your application and improve your chances at interview.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    It's very dependant on your choice of medical school.

It's clear you haven't researched medicine enough to understand the steps to getting there so I strongly suggest you do that if medicine is what you really REALLY want to do. Medicine is no joke and no 'Oh that job that sounds cool, lets do that'. You need to research.

Otherwise, an example of requirements for medicine are here, bearing in mind this is only one University but it is a very prestigious one.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...course-profile

My advice is at the moment is to honestly try your hardest and use medicine as an inspiration point to study and revise hard to get as many A*s as possible. Yes that's right, get as many A*s as possible. You know you can do it so don't let yourself drag yourself down into the pit of regret. If it's what you truly want to do it will motivate you a lot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.