The Student Room Group

HCA post

Hi

I am currently in first year and have some time to work before clinical rotations in third year.
I have a job interview at the hospital for HCA coming up.

I want to work as a HCA because I feel as though this will give me exposure to working with patients and in a multidisciplinary team. It will allow me to build upon the communication skills learnt in the medical school but also understand the role of everyone in the hospital. Similarly I feel as though after having placements in the hospital that the skills I already have from previous jobs would really help the hospital out as I know how busy they are.

I'm not quite sure how to prepare for the interview
Any tips or questions I should prepare for.
Reply 1
Depending on what kind of interview process it is there might be some variation.

My first HCA interview was part of a large intake for the trust. So there were many other interviewees, and there was one or two group tasks and discussions - but nothing anywhere as intense as what you would do for med school. Alternatively, it may just be an informal interview with usually 2 members of staff (my other 2 interviews were my future Ward Manager and Matron for that department).

In my experience nursing staff are overjoyed when med students, or future med students want to experience nursing and more hands on care. If you mention your motives as you have above I am sure you will have absolutely no problem in attaining a HCA post. The interviews are usually really relaxed, quite short, and the nurses are usually incredibly friendly and laid back. Don't worry about it! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Marathi
Depending on what kind of interview process it is there might be some variation.

My first HCA interview was part of a large intake for the trust. So there were many other interviewees, and there was one or two group tasks and discussions - but nothing anywhere as intense as what you would do for med school. Alternatively, it may just be an informal interview with usually 2 members of staff (my other 2 interviews were my future Ward Manager and Matron for that department).

In my experience nursing staff are overjoyed when med students, or future med students want to experience nursing and more hands on care. If you mention your motives as you have above I am sure you will have absolutely no problem in attaining a HCA post. The interviews are usually really relaxed, quite short, and the nurses are usually incredibly friendly and laid back. Don't worry about it! :smile:

Aw that's lovely to hear.
The interview is with two staff member so I hope it laid back.
So you're a first year med student?

If you're doing this for extra money or because you want to then that's fine go for it. Just... don't feel you need to do this, is all i wanted to say. You will learn all of those things in clinical years. Focusing on your current studies will probably be the best way to make yourself a better doctor, and getting prizes/getting involved in research will be the best way to improve a CV. Being understanding to nurses/other staff doesn't require years of penance in a HCA role alongside full time medical studies. It just requires you to be a nice person.

But like i say, if its just something you want to do then go for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Med students are lower than staff on the rank scale in hospitals, you'll have plenty of time to gain an appreciation during clinical placements.
Original post by nexttime
If you're doing this for extra money or because you want to then that's fine go for it. Just... don't feel you need to do this, is all i wanted to say.

Nexttime is right as usual. That said, if you do need a job for financial reasons, then work as a HCA probably isn't a bad choice. You should be able to pick up as many (or as few) shifts as you want on the bank and might find the hospital setting less odd/intimidating during your clinical years if you have already worked there as staff.

It is also useful to see how more senior staff (e.g. doctors and senior nurses) come across as interacting with, or simply ignoring, HCAs/cleaners/porters/etc.

I'd expect to be asked (1) how you will fit HCA shifts around your studies and (2) how you would separate the two roles (should you apply your developing clinical knowledge or not?)

I still get the occasional email asking me to work bank shifts as a theatre porter but haven't yet found time away from my day job as a trauma SpR to take up the opportunity...

Quick Reply

Latest