Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Genital warts treatment experiences Watch

Hey guys, I just got the news that I had HPV this week. I was pretty shocked as although I've had quite a few sexual partners, I've always been super careful and used protection with oral and penetration sex. Not going to lie I felt ashamed and kind of disgusted like my dating life was over, and kind of thinking "why me ?" Plus all the stories I read online people had supportive partners that helped it through it. I don't have anyone. So I kind of was feeling that I wouldn't be seeing anyone anytime soon now because of the warts.:

Anyways I was wondering though what people's experiences with treatment are like? I've just been given this warticon thing and told to apply it? Did people's go away after 4 weeks? Or did they need freezing off, if so how was that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey guys, I just got the news that I had HPV this week. I was pretty shocked as although I've had quite a few sexual partners, I've always been super careful and used protection with oral and penetration sex. Not going to lie I felt ashamed and kind of disgusted like my dating life was over, and kind of thinking "why me ?" Plus all the stories I read online people had supportive partners that helped it through it. I don't have anyone. So I kind of was feeling that I wouldn't be seeing anyone anytime soon now because of the warts.:

Anyways I was wondering though what people's experiences with treatment are like? I've just been given this warticon thing and told to apply it? Did people's go away after 4 weeks? Or did they need freezing off, if so how was that?
    Sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I've heard of people getting on pretty well with the treatment you describe, and have known others who have had to have further treatment. They all ended up sorted in the end. Don't worry, it's not the end of your dating life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    HPV is extremely common (although getting less so thanks to the vaccination programmes) and most people end up with at least one strain at least once in their lives. Some cause warts, and one of the joys of warts is whatever you do - including nothing - they get better, they get worse or they stay the same.

One reason the 'nothing' option can work is that in most cases, the immune system will get rid of the infection within about two years. If you don't wait that long, assorted treatments may or may not work.

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I've heard of people getting on pretty well with the treatment you describe, and have known others who have had to have further treatment. They all ended up sorted in the end. Don't worry, it's not the end of your dating life
    Thanks, yeh am just worried as the doctor said my case was quite severe and idk I just can't see how this cream is gonna help?? I don't fancy them being frozen off much but I guess if it helps anything ! It may not be forever but it puts it off until I can
    Get rid of them which could be anywhere between 4 weeks to 6 months :/ thanks anyway though

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you think the cream will work? It's been confirmed as a genuine course of treatment.

If your warts were that severe you would have been sent to have them frozen straight off. That's what happened when I caught them from a sexual assault. Given that background they would have given me the cream if they could have. Believe me, it is really not pleasant at all so use the cream properly and try to do it as effectively as you can. The frozen option is not a single treatment, it takes multiple treatments and any array of people looking at your parts over that time. I'm pretty sure I had an sti urethra check every time too and that is bloody painful

ReputationRep:
    Aldara didn't clear all my warts after the 16 weeks of treatment, although a few disappeared I believe this is due to the natural spontaneous process anyway because I got no side effects or skin irritation from my treatment. Swapped to warticon now and hopefully this will yield better results. Don't worry about catching them btw, my friend has slept with 70+ people and never caught anything, I turned single for the first time and caught them a couple months after. Crap luck I guess.

(Original post by lauralo1001)
    Aldara didn't clear all my warts after the 16 weeks of treatment, although a few disappeared I believe this is due to the natural spontaneous process anyway because I got no side effects or skin irritation from my treatment. Swapped to warticon now and hopefully this will yield better results. Don't worry about catching them btw, my friend has slept with 70+ people and never caught anything, I turned single for the first time and caught them a couple months after. Crap luck I guess.
    70+ people? Jesus christ. :eek:

Is that a girl or a boy your talking about (not that it matters lol)?

As others have mentioned HPV is very common and goes away by itself over time (about 2 years tops), some get symptoms others don't. The only thing to worry about is (if your female) the cervical cancer risk. The strain that causes symptoms is less likely to cause cancer. I'm not trying to scare you but just giving the facts so you can be a bit more careful next time.

ReputationRep:
    Female, and nope doesn't matter at all. Only takes one person whether that be your first or 101st haha.

This virus doesn't scare me at all, don't worry I'm well informed I've been vaccinated too which helps deplete most of the cancer risk. Unfortunately 'being careful' is pretty empty advice, this virus is ubiquitous and it's naive to think you can have a sex life without coming into contact with it. Staying informed, keeping healthy and also not hating yourself if you're unfortunate enough to get a physical symptom-causing strain is what I recommend. Let's fight the stigma guys.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to add, relevant to my last post, I caught this virus using condoms. There's no approved HPV test for males and for females the intent of smear tests are to look for cancer precursors. You could be in a long term relationship with someone who has the cancer causing strain, and you both could've cleared it without a moments notice because the only true indication we have is either manifestation of genital warts or cervical cancer. There's no feasible way of mitigating HPV transmission other than prophylactic vaccines. Do not beat yourselves up for catching this prevelant and, in the majority of cases, harmless virus x

(Original post by lauralo1001)
    I'd also like to add, relevant to my last post, I caught this virus using condoms. There's no approved HPV test for males and for females the intent of smear tests are to look for cancer precursors. You could be in a long term relationship with someone who has the cancer causing strain, and you both could've cleared it without a moments notice because the only true indication we have is either manifestation of genital warts or cervical cancer. There's no feasible way of mitigating HPV transmission other than prophylactic vaccines. Do not beat yourselves up for catching this prevelant and, in the majority of cases, harmless virus x
    Yeh the virus is pretty much harmless in the majority. Unfortunately, as with herpes, HPV can be transferred by skin contact so even just hugging and cuddling naked can transfer it. Condoms will only protect what is covered. In a way it is just like the flu virus, you may get future infections which your body will fight off and you'll be fine until the next time. This mainly applies to herpes, I don't think HPV recurs unless your infected by another strain.

HSV and HPV should be classified as skin conditions rather than STDs.

ReputationRep:
    I suffered with this same terrible problem for nearly 8 years. It was like being imprisoned within my own body. After exhausting all treatment options several times over, I accepted the fact that they would always return and I'd be alone for the rest of my life. After living this way for nearly a decade I recently read about a new treatment derived from frog eggs called Ranpirnase. I was able to get my hands on 10 mg through a scientific supply company. I mixed it into 10 ml of ky lubricant as described in the experiments online, and began applying it daily. Within several weeks nearly all evidence of the disease had vanished from my body. That was 4 months ago and not even so much as one imperfection has appeared on my skin.When I was a child my mother would warn me not to touch frogs or I'd get warts, who would have ever thought that these amazing little amphibians actually cure them. Reality is truly stranger than fiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLove)
    I suffered with this same terrible problem for nearly 8 years. It was like being imprisoned within my own body. After exhausting all treatment options several times over, I accepted the fact that they would always return and I'd be alone for the rest of my life. After living this way for nearly a decade I recently read about a new treatment derived from frog eggs called Ranpirnase. I was able to get my hands on 10 mg through a scientific supply company. I mixed it into 10 ml of ky lubricant as described in the experiments online, and began applying it daily. Within several weeks nearly all evidence of the disease had vanished from my body. That was 4 months ago and not even so much as one imperfection has appeared on my skin.When I was a child my mother would warn me not to touch frogs or I'd get warts, who would have ever thought that these amazing little amphibians actually cure them. Reality is truly stranger than fiction.
    Chris,
    Thats great that it worked out for you. I'm very happy for you. Can you please tell me the name of the scientific supply company you got the Ranpirnase from? I have been researching this and it sounds very promising. Any additional info you can provide would be truly appreciated.

Thank you,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.