Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does DofE in anyway help in getting admission in medicine uni.?
    My son is completing his bronze this april and starting his silver. He is in Year 10.
    Will be giving GCSE next year.He is thinking of doing gold but i am not sure if he can??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeeVee1)
    Does DofE in anyway help in getting admission in medicine uni.?
    My son is completing his bronze this april and starting his silver. He is in Year 10.
    Will be giving GCSE next year.He is thinking of doing gold but i am not sure if he can??
    Duke of Edinburgh I have found to be an amazing gateway for opportunities. For instance for my gold residential I went to Tanzania for a month on some charity work. For a medicine application you need to come across well rounded; sporty, volunteering, intelligent etc etc and I found DofE was a great structure that allowed me to show those attributes. It is by no means necessary. Simply stating "I have done Gold DofE" on your PS will not give you any upper hand in addmission, (it does count as a formal qualification which some unis look at what they mark PS) and if you feel you can do all the sport and the volunteering and the skills outside of the structure of DofE and you have enough to say in your PS then no, DofE isn't worth it.

Why do you feel your son couldn't not complete gold?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has bronze, most people have silver and both are waste of time.
    Gold would help at interview as they could talk about situations they come across e.g good leadership/teamwork and the volunteering they did as part of it. Gold is achievable, even if your son is physically or mentally impaired the organisers would help him achieve it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap yaaah)
    Everyone has bronze, most people have silver and both are waste of time.
    Gold would help at interview as they could talk about situations they come across e.g good leadership/teamwork and the volunteering they did as part of it. Gold is achievable, even if your son is physically or mentally impaired the organisers would help him achieve it.
    You use the exact same skills in both Bronze and Silver as you do in Gold, so I wouldn't call them a waste of time...

The DoE award generally is something I would encourage people applying to medicine to do - it's a very organised way to show lots of important skills that you can reflect upon in the personal statement and at interview. It isn't the only way to gain and practice these skills, but it is a very good way. Plus, you get an award at the end of it - this obviously doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but it provides credit that you've done all the leadership, teamwork, etc. stuff to a high level.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the answers.
    Reason I thought he will struggle to do gold was because he will be in A levels by the time he finishes his silver and he will have to do work placement and other extracurricular along with his studies and have to get excellent grades, so it might be too much.....i dont know ??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.