Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    Sounds awesome! :teeth:

It is not that they are smarter, it is just that the educational system they come from is more difficult.

How many languages do you speak and which ones?

I want to learn a lot of languages too! :five: I only know two (Romanian and English) at the moment, though... :ashamed: Hoping to become fluent in at least two more languages before summer 2024.
    I can only speak English fluently, German is advanced (also have an A level in it), I have a NVQ Level 2 French award (but I don't really like French), and obviously I'm studying Mandarin as part of my degree (Intermediate, as mentioned beforehand.

I want to become fluent in German, and I'd like to be well versed in either Italian or Spanish, or maybe even Swedish. Perhaps Japanese since characters are sometimes used from Chinese strokes, but I'm not sure if I want to study anymore Asian languages due to its difficulty. Whereas, I find european languages, understandably.

Woo polyglots!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valyrian)
    How did you know?

I was in Sardinia.
    Cause it's classic Valyrian
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Cause it's classic Valyrian
    I'll try to break out the classic Valyrian trend this time
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak English fluently, German is advanced (also have an A level in it), I have a NVQ Level 2 French award (but I don't really like French), and obviously I'm studying Mandarin as part of my degree (Intermediate, as mentioned beforehand.

I want to become fluent in German, and I'd like to be well versed in either Italian or Spanish, or maybe even Swedish. Perhaps Japanese since characters are sometimes used from Chinese strokes, but I'm not sure if I want to study anymore Asian languages due to its difficulty. Whereas, I find european languages, understandably.

Woo polyglots!
    I am only fluent in Romanian and English, as I said, even though I studied French and Latin in school. I hated French with a passion, so I feel you :five: Sooo I am just going to aim to become fluent in Japanese and Russian :laugh:

I actually made a summer schedule with five different languages on it! I am not sure if I will keep it the way it is now, change the languages or choose to focus on Japanese and Russian, but I still have until the end of my exams to decide :rolleyes:

I am only an aspiring polyglot with extremely little knowledge of languages outside of the two languages I am fluent in. But yes, WOOO LANGUAGES!!!! :woo:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I am only fluent in Romanian and English, as I said, even though I studied French and Latin in school. I hated French with a passion, so I feel you :five: Sooo I am just going to aim to become fluent in Japanese and Russian :laugh:

I actually made a summer schedule with five different languages on it! I am not sure if I will keep it the way it is now, change the languages or choose to focus on Japanese and Russian, but I still have until the end of my exams to decide :rolleyes:

I am only an aspiring polyglot with extremely little knowledge of languages outside of the two languages I am fluent in. But yes, WOOO LANGUAGES!!!! :woo:
    I think the study of languages is so beautiful. It's nice to see native speakers be shocked and happy when you speak their own language. That keeps me going haha.

I ****ing love Russian. I'd learn it but it seems pretty impossible but I'd love to give it a go.

I'm trying as hard as I can to keep Mandarin fresh in my mind so I'm not struggling in September to remember basic things :lol:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think the study of languages is so beautiful. It's nice to see native speakers be shocked and happy when you speak their own language. That keeps me going haha.

I ****ing love Russian. I'd learn it but it seems pretty impossible but I'd love to give it a go.

I'm trying as hard as I can to keep Mandarin fresh in my mind so I'm not struggling in September to remember basic things :lol:
    Agreed :yep: I never had the chance to see that since I am not passable in anything but Romanian and English :sad:

Russian is not that bad. I have already learnt the alphabet (both print letters and handwritten letters) and some basic things. Then again, Romanian does share a few elements with Russian, which is probably why I found it not to be impossible :laugh:

That is a good idea
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Agreed :yep: I never had the chance to see that since I am not passable in anything but Romanian and English :sad:

Russian is not that bad. I have already learnt the alphabet (both print letters and handwritten letters) and some basic things. Then again, Romanian does share a few elements with Russian, which is probably why I found it not to be impossible :laugh:

That is a good idea
    I have an obsession with Vladimir Putin (I have posters of him winking, him being whipped by Harley Quinn, multiple t shirts, Russian dolls of Russian leaders, replica medals from the USSR and biographies about him and numerous books about the USSR) so learning Russian is on my checklist. I do know some words from playing CSGO online with Russians but it's only a swear (Cyka Bylat) haha :lol:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I have an obsession with Vladimir Putin (I have posters of him winking, him being whipped by Harley Quinn, multiple t shirts, Russian dolls of Russian leaders, replica medals from the USSR and biographies about him and numerous books about the USSR) so learning Russian is on my checklist. I do know some words from playing CSGO online with Russians but it's only a swear (Cyka Bylat) haha :lol:
    Why are you obsessed with him? :toofunny:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Why are you obsessed with him? :toofunny:
    I'm not sure, just one of those things I think...ever since I studied Russia from 1924 to 1991 I just became very interested in Russia/Slavic history...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, just one of those things I think...ever since I studied Russia from 1924 to 1991 I just became very interested in Russia/Slavic history...
    Are you a communist, though? :teehee:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

he's more of a dictator than a communist :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not, I'm very anti-Communism to be honest.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know, but since she mentioned Russian history from 1924 to 1991, I was just checking :ahee:

I'm not, I'm very anti-Communism to be honest.
    Good, because I am the same! :five:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's a beautiful dictator in a pseduo-democratic world

I know, but since she mentioned Russian history from 1924 to 1991, I was just checking :ahee:

Good, because I am the same! :five:
    Haha, how is the government/politics in Romania?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Everyone hates the government by default and all the parties suck so much I did not even vote in December, when we had the elections
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Everyone hates the government by default and all the parties suck so much I did not even vote in December, when we had the elections
    You should never not vote

He's a beautiful dictator in a pseduo-democratic world

:rofl::rofl:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there's much electoral apathy in comparison to the UK by young voters (18 - 25 )
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You should never not vote
    What am I supposed to do if everyone sucks so much that there would be no difference if any of them came to power, then? There was no lesser of multiple evils.

Do you think there's much electoral apathy in comparison to the UK by young voters (18 - 25 )
    Yes. Both apathy and ignorance in regards to politics is rampant. Not even I know all the parties that exist in Romania and a lot of people are under the impression that we operate under FPTP (we do not; we operate under the party list system and only use FPTP for presidential elections :erm: ).
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Both apathy and ignorance in regards to politics is rampant. Not even I know all the parties that exist in Romania and a lot of people are under the impression that we operate under FPTP (we do not; we operate under the party list system and only use FPTP for presidential elections :erm: ).
    Do you reckon that the implementation of political awareness in the education system would make a great deal of difference or not really?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon that the implementation of political awareness in the education system would make a great deal of difference or not really?
    To an extent.

Youth in general could not care less about politics. Even if we studied about it, chances are most people would just learn that the basics (see the electoral system point mentioned in my previous point) and not care about it. Kind of how GCSE Citizenship students are like when that GCSE is compulsory (in my secondary school, it was compulsory, but I did not do it because I am not a British citizen). A few might become more interested in politics, but overall, I feel as if it will only make a marginal difference, and that difference will mostly show in general knowledge, with just a slight increase in the number of young people voting.

This makes me question if spending so much on increasing political awareness in schools would be worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.