The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michiyo
To an extent.

Youth in general could not care less about politics. Even if we studied about it, chances are most people would just learn that the basics (see the electoral system point mentioned in my previous point) and not care about it. Kind of how GCSE Citizenship students are like when that GCSE is compulsory (in my secondary school, it was compulsory, but I did not do it because I am not a British citizen). A few might become more interested in politics, but overall, I feel as if it will only make a marginal difference, and that difference will mostly show in general knowledge, with just a slight increase in the number of young people voting.

This makes me question if spending so much on increasing political awareness in schools would be worth it.

I totally understand that. When I did GCSE Citizenship I learnt almost zilch about my country, but my interest in politics has been due to my own investigation and expansion of knowledge.
Original post by Valyrian
I totally understand that. When I did GCSE Citizenship I learnt almost zilch about my country, but my interest in politics has been due to my own investigation and expansion of knowledge.

Indeed. Just like with other topics, interest cannot be imposed with education; it has to start within the person themselves.
Original post by Michiyo
Indeed. Just like with other topics, interest cannot be imposed with education; it has to start within the person themselves.

That's quite deep, Michiyo.
That's quite deep, Michiyo.

I am quite deep and/or philosophical sometimes :h:
Original post by Michiyo
I am quite deep and/or philosophical sometimes :h:

The best way to be. :h:
The best way to be. :h:

True :yep:

However, according to others, I am not usually deep/philosophical, but a sweet, kind, and weird hug lover with no sense of direction :ahee:
Original post by Michiyo
True :yep:

However, according to others, I am not usually deep/philosophical, but a sweet, kind, and weird hug lover with no sense of direction :ahee:

You sound like a man after my own heart.
You sound like a man after my own heart.

Thank you :hat2: You are a formidable lady as well :hugs:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
Thank you :hat2: You are a formidable lady as well :hugs:

Spoiler

**You are a woman after my own heart**

Spoiler

Original post by Michiyo
How? :rofl:

Australia has compulsory voting, as far as I know, that is why I said Australia :lol:

*flashback to how communists imposed their regime in Romania* :moon: :angry:

:frown: :console:

exercising the right to vote :yep: regardless of who you vote for. means you can hold the govt. accountable for six they do

Original post by Michiyo

much philosophy, much wow

Posted from TSR Mobile
**You are a woman after my own heart**

Spoiler

Now we are talking :sexface:

Spoiler

Original post by wolfmoon88
much philosophy, much wow

You want philosophy, my dear wolfmoony? :colone:

I raise you these questions, then :h:

People are often defined as 'humane' for possessing 'human' traits like kindness and generosity. Often, not hurting others is considered the 'human' thing to do as well. If a person lacks these traits, such as a psychopath, are they still human? If a criminal hurts someone (by murder, for example), can they be called human anymore? If someone cannot be called human, should capital punishment be legal for them as it would be no different that killing chickens since that person would not be considered human anymore? If they are not human, then what are they?
@Michiyo be leading people on :lol:
Original post by OGGUS
@Michiyo be leading people on :lol:

I state that I am a girl in my About me, though! :h:
Original post by Michiyo
I state that I am a girl in my About me, though! :h:

Yeah I know you told me:colondollar:
So how's life?
Original post by OGGUS
Yeah I know you told me:colondollar:
So how's life?

I NEED TO STUDY I NEED TO STUDY <--- me right now