Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Annoying guy keeps messaging me on Facebook or texting Watch

We met last year and became friends, although we were not close at all. We have very similar political views so I enjoyed chatting about politics. However, outside of that we have nothing in common and the conversations are boring as fudge. I am extremely busy, working and volunteering several hours a week and have lots of other tasks to do even when I'm not at work. I haven't spoken to any of my close friends in weeks, and they don't expect me to message regularly because they know that we all have lives.

This guy, on the other hand is begging it. He seems to expect special treatment even though I told him that I don't talk to anyone regularly because I don't have the time. He keeps messaging me stupid questions and other cheesy **** which take me days to reply to if I even reply at all. What's wrong with him? I would be fine resuming the friendship if he wasn't so annoying but he really is putting me off. I don't want to get angry and say really harsh things to him because I don't think that his self-esteem is very high but don't know what else to do.

ReputationRep:
    Just politely say you're really busy, and stop replying?

Although it sounds like you've already done that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    if you ignore it he'll go away eventually just put his chat on mute; don't block him though make sure he can see you're online and ignore his messages

(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Just politely say you're really busy, and stop replying?

Although it sounds like you've already done that. :p:
    Lol yeah I have. I forgot to mention that if I don't reply in a day or two, he starts sending me sad faces or some other **** like that. It irritates me to the core.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Lol yeah I have. I forgot to mention that if I don't reply in a day or two, he starts sending me sad faces or some other **** like that. It irritates me to the core.
    lol just ignore him, it isn't rocket science!

ReputationRep:
    Block him sis
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If you're unlikely to see him, I'd just block him.

ReputationRep:
    Blocking him would be very effective but it's always that balance between cutting someone off or letting it fizzle out. You don't sound as if you're at any risk, I say continue to ignore him and reiterate that you are very busy. Give him a couple of weeks and if he's still at it then cut ties.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ffs, just block him. Not that hard.

(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Ffs, just block him. Not that hard.
    Would you block someone who was a friend with no explanation?

(Original post by CamLikesCookies)
    Blocking him would be very effective but it's always that balance between cutting someone off or letting it fizzle out. You don't sound as if you're at any risk, I say continue to ignore him and reiterate that you are very busy. Give him a couple of weeks and if he's still at it then cut ties.
    Yeah, I'm ignoring the ridiculous sad faces he keeps sending. Will see how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Silent treatment
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Would you block someone who was a friend with no explanation?
    Not really a 'friend', is he though.

Yes, and I have done before.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how he's a friend. If he was a friend, would you really get annoyed by him conatcting you?
    • Very Important Poster

We met last year and became friends, although we were not close at all. We have very similar political views so I enjoyed chatting about politics. However, outside of that we have nothing in common and the conversations are boring as fudge. I am extremely busy, working and volunteering several hours a week and have lots of other tasks to do even when I'm not at work. I haven't spoken to any of my close friends in weeks, and they don't expect me to message regularly because they know that we all have lives.

This guy, on the other hand is begging it. He seems to expect special treatment even though I told him that I don't talk to anyone regularly because I don't have the time. He keeps messaging me stupid questions and other cheesy **** which take me days to reply to if I even reply at all. What's wrong with him? I would be fine resuming the friendship if he wasn't so annoying but he really is putting me off. I don't want to get angry and say really harsh things to him because I don't think that his self-esteem is very high but don't know what else to do.
    Make your mind up what you want and tell him. If you are busy, then let him know you find him a bit distracting so you may go quiet for a while or just tell him you dont mind talking about politics, but nothing beyond that.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I don't see how he's a friend. If he was a friend, would you really get annoyed by him conatcting you?
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Not really a 'friend', is he though.

Yes, and I have done before.
    I considered him a friend up until recently. Not a close one, but a friend nonetheless. Lately he has been annoying me to the point that I wouldn't mind if he just went away for good now. Perhaps I would be OK with him again if he left me alone. I always felt that unless I had a fallout with someone who was a friend, I should at least give them a reason before ending contact out of courtsey.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Make your mind up what you want and tell him. If you are busy, then let him know you find him a bit distracting so you may go quiet for a while or just tell him you dont mind talking about politics, but nothing beyond that.
    I have told him that I'm extremely busy and can't talk to anyone, yet he doesn't seem to get it.That's why I'm so irritated; if I hadn't already told him how busy I was, it would be easier to understand his behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Be straight forward and explain that you don't have time to reply. Make sure yo get the point across, if you don't want to offend him then don't mention how annoying he is. If after one message it persists just block him. I don't know why you haven't done this already.
    • Very Important Poster

I have told him that I'm extremely busy and can't talk to anyone, yet he doesn't seem to get it.That's why I'm so irritated; if I hadn't already told him how busy I was, it would be easier to understand his behaviour.
    Just tell him properly once and ask him to stop or cut back or that you will only respond once a week etc, Then stick to those response times. If he annoys enough then just block him. His behaviour is easy to understand, but you encourage it by not making it very clear and showing him you will resolve it yourself if he doesnt change. Learn to be assertive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.