Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Partial differentiation/extended chain rule question help needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi this is a 1st year UG question, I'm not sure where to start on Q4, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by jordanwu)
    Hi this is a 1st year UG question, I'm not sure where to start on Q4, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Well if you're walkiing due East, what variables are changing and what remain the same? And what are you trying to work out?

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess x is the variable as that's changing? y remains constant and so does z? Not sure how I can find the angle, unless I partially differentiate z?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Well I guess x is the variable as that's changing?
    Yes.

y remains constant
    Yes.

and so does z?
    Well, z is a function of x and of y, and since x is changing, so is z.

Not sure how I can find the angle, unless I partially differentiate z?
    Yes, you'll need the partial derivative, and it's hopefully clear from your other answers that it's partial z wrt x that you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Yes.

Yes.

Well, z is a function of x and of y, and since x is changing, so is z.

Yes, you'll need the partial derivative, and it's hopefully clear from your other answers that it's partial z wrt x that you want.
    OK I got 1/100(2x-3y) so far for partial z wrt x, am I supposed to convert this into an angle or something? Also I'm not quite sure about the 'initially ascending or descending' bit of the question
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    OK I got 1/100(2x-3y) so far for partial z wrt x, am I supposed to convert this into an angle or something? Also I'm not quite sure about the 'initially ascending or descending' bit of the question
    OK, so far.

Worth noting at this stage that you're travelling East, i.e. along the positive x-axis. The y-value is going to be constant and equal to its value at the origin (note it's not zero).

By looking at \partial z /\partial x (which implies y is constant), you're taking a slice through the hill. An elevation plan if you like.

You have effectively reduced the problem to standard one dimensional case.

"ascending/descending", now translates as, is the gradient postive or negative at the origin? I.e. is \partial z /\partial x >0 or < 0?

Regarding the angle. One of the things you should have covered with functions of one variable (which is what you effectively have now), is that the gradient is the tangent of the angle between the curve and the x-axis. And hence you can work out the angle.

ReputationRep:
    OK, so far.

Worth noting at this stage that you're travelling East, i.e. along the positive x-axis. The y-value is going to be constant and equal to its value at the origin (note it's not zero).

By looking at \partial z /\partial x (which implies y is constant), you're taking a slice through the hill. An elevation plan if you like.

"ascending/descending", now translates as, is the gradient postive or negative at the origin? I.e. is \partial z /\partial x >0 or < 0?

Regarding the angle. One of the things you should have covered with functions of one variable (which is what you effectively have now), is that the gradient is the tangent of the angle between the curve and the x-axis. And hence you can work out the angle.
    I got the gradient to be -1 so descending? I can't quite remember how to use this to work out the angle (mind block)

ReputationRep:
    OK, so far.

Also, for Q5 part a) it asks to express Fs and Ft in terms of fx, fy, s and t but I'm not quite sure what it's asking me to do, I've got partial derivative x wrt s = t, partial derivative y wrt s = -2t/(s-t)^2, but I don't know how I can work out fx or fy because there's nothing like f(x,y)= x^2 y^3 for example
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I got the gradient to be -1 so descending?
    Agreed.

I can't quite remember how to use this to work out the angle (mind block)
    so, tan(angle of increase)= gradient.

angle of increase = inverse tan (gradient)

And since gradient is negative, you get a negative angle

And, as I'm sure you're aware inverse tan of -1, is -45 degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

so, tan(angle of increase)= gradient.

angle of increase = inverse tan (gradient)

And since gradient is negative, you get a negative angle

And, as I'm sure you're aware inverse tan of -1, is -45 degrees.
    OK, thanks. For Q5 part a) it asks me to express Fs and Ft in terms of fx, fy, s and t but I'm not quite sure what it's asking me to do, I've got partial derivative x wrt s = t, partial derivative y wrt s = -2t/(s-t)^2, but I don't know how I can work out fx or fy because there's nothing like f(x,y)= x^2 y^3 for example
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    OK, thanks. For Q5 part a) it asks me to express Fs and Ft in terms of fx, fy, s and t but I'm not quite sure what it's asking me to do, I've got partial derivative x wrt s = t, partial derivative y wrt s = -2t/(s-t)^2, but I don't know how I can work out fx or fy because there's nothing like f(x,y)= x^2 y^3 for example
    OK. You can't work out what f_x,f_y are. You need to leave them in, so to speak. You're being asked to express F_s,F_t in terms of them, amongst other things.

Looking at the chain rule F_s=f_x\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+f_y\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}

ReputationRep:
    OK. You can't work out what f_x,f_y are. You need to leave them in, so to speak. You're being asked to express F_s,F_t in terms of them, amongst other things.

Looking at the chain rule F_s=f_x\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+f_y\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}
    OK got it, need a bit of help with Q6 a), need to find fx, fy, fz, p, theta, psi, but not sure how to do this as I'm new to spherical coordinates
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    OK got it, need a bit of help with Q6 a), need to find fx, fy, fz, p, theta, psi, but not sure how to do this as I'm new to spherical coordinates
    This isn't really much different to 5a. You need to decide what x,y,z are as functions of rho,theta,phi. It is actually given in the question, but not explicitly spelt out. Also google spherical coordinates.

I am intentionally not giving the answer, as you need to be more proactive in finding things out, and it's too similar to the previous question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.