Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    okay every time I apply to uni, this year and last year I never receive ANY offers like at all, so I was just wondering about anyone who's used clearing and extra and whether they've been accepted or got offers from it and just general advice really??
    Are most unis willing to consider your application? Are there certain kinds of courses that are in clearing and extra like business courses or can you get in to psychology courses too?? someone please help me, am dying, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevieee21)
    okay every time I apply to uni, this year and last year I never receive ANY offers like at all, so I was just wondering about anyone who's used clearing and extra and whether they've been accepted or got offers from it and just general advice really??
    Are most unis willing to consider your application? Are there certain kinds of courses that are in clearing and extra like business courses or can you get in to psychology courses too?? someone please help me, am dying, thanks
    So you want to do Psychology?

Where did you apply?

My cousin was in the same boat as you but she used extra to get a psychology place at Swansea. She's now in her first year.

Have you tried contacting alternative universities direct? Ask if they'll consider you and upload your personal statement and predicted grades. If they grant you an offer, you can update UCAS.

Lots of my friends went through clearing for psychology. They all went to study at London universities in the end, such as Brunel and Roehampton, so you might want to look at them.

I also know a few people who got no offers but that was for medicine. They are on gap years to improve their personal statements and applications for next time round.

I went through clearing myself so I know what it's like and what to expect. I had it slightly easier as I had extenuating circumstances so unis always gave me a second look, but I find if you go in hard and confident, you are more likely to receive a clearing place.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What feedback did you get from the universities that rejected you?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, there are a lot of student in a similar position to you. You can apply again via clearing or UCAS Extra. You can read up on it here and here. The latest deadline for current applicants to add course choices through Extra is 4 July 2017.

Have you got any feedback from the universities? What have they said. I'd suggest reading our advice on how to avoid 5 uni rejections, hopefully it will help you with a new approach.

As I said before, you're not the only student in this position and I'm sure you'll find the right uni for you.

ReputationRep:
    University isn't for everyone, it's not compulsory. Maybe look towards another route?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know why they reject you? Maybe if you knew then you could work towards those issues rather than continuing to reapply - there's no point then.

And yes, many people do receive an offer from clearing.
    • Very Important Poster

Are you pitching yourself at the right level?
    As said above get the feedback to id the problem area.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with heineken; maybe university isn't for you? If it's grades that are poor then maybe it's a good idea not to go for uni at all and do something else that'd you excel at

ReputationRep:
    If you got rejected twice that's definently an issue.

This has to be either due to your Perdicted grades, or/and Personal statement. Possibly even due to your reference.
    Can you tell us your perdicted grades and the course your applying to so we can attempt to solve this problem?

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can't have been rejected from all five already?

If you have, then obviously something is amiss. I would suggest that you think long and hard about university, and whether it is right for you. There's plenty of other things out there; apprenticeships, full-time jobs, part-time jobs, etc, and you don't even have to give up on education either, there plenty of courses you can sit at college, perhaps preparing you for uni if you do indeed decide to go eventually.

All I'm saying is don't place all your eggs in once basket; If you can't get into university, it's not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Enough with the bickering and thread derailment :dry::nn:
    I don't want to have to clean up this thread a second time. If you don't have something constructive to say to the OP then don't post.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult for any of us to comment without knowing what your grades were, and where you applied
    Are you already taking steps like making sure that you apply to places that ask for grades similar to those that you have attained?
    Have you considered retaking exams in order to improve your grades?
    Universities have very helpful Admissions offices. You can send an email or call up any Admissions office, and directly speak to them about what you have to offer and whether they would seriously consider you as a prospective candidate. They will also be able to advise you on steps that you can take if they don't feel you currently meet their requirements. This way you can make sure that you're not wasting your applications before you submit your application.

While the general UCAS deadline has now passed, if you were to find a University that is a very good match, Admissions Offices do possess the power to admit you directly, without involving UCAS. It might be that if you show Universities that you are sincere and serious about registering and pursuing a degree, and if you show that you're flexible (e.g. willing to perhaps start out on a course that is close to what you want but maybe not identical, etc) then they would be willing to meet you half way.

I think the others are right, though, that you need to think about why you want to go to University and make sure that you want to go for the right reasons. If you don't have good grades, is that because you didn't work hard enough, or because you found the work difficult. University is a big step up from A level, so if you struggled at this point, it might be wiser to look for Foundation courses to ease you into University, rather than starting a BA directly. Similarly you might consider alternative directions like apprenticeships.

And yes you do find courses such as Psychology in Clearing, and if you should consider entering Clearing if you have another opportunity and are still sure you want to go to University.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you've been rejected due to insufficient ucas points you have a few options to get on to the course you want - Either retake your A levels or if you're 20years old already you could do an access course through a local college.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to not listen to people saying that Uni isn't for you because if you didn't want to go then you wouldn't have applied. Maybe try getting in touch with the Uni's? Or try working on what it is that is getting you rejected, predicted grades, personal statement etc.

You'll get there! Best wishes <3
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollieDalton_xx)
    My advice is to not listen to people saying that Uni isn't for you because if you didn't want to go then you wouldn't have applied. Maybe try getting in touch with the Uni's? Or try working on what it is that is getting you rejected, predicted grades, personal statement etc.

You'll get there! Best wishes <3
    If only everyone was like this <3

ReputationRep:
    Do the grades you achieve / are predicted match those asked for by your universities for the course you're applying and is your personal statement well-rounded, well-written and 'good' as checked by teachers and other people who know about personal statements?

ReputationRep:
    What grades do you have / are you predicted along with courses

ReputationRep:
    Also what UNI's did you apply to

ReputationRep:
    You can find a place in clearing dw xxx

ReputationRep:
    If you've got enough UCAS points any University with places will take you in reality, they want the money.

Most will take people on with less than the advertised UCAS points as they have an absolute limit and a public limit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.