The Student Room Group

Re applying to Oxford?

I applied for law this year, got an interview and then got rejected.

I am predicted 44 points in the IB, but currently i think the maximum i could get is 40/41. I have an offer from Durham (and Bristol, Exeter too) which is 38 with 666.

Can i firm the Durham offer, slog and try my hardest to get grades which are competitive for an Oxford application, and on results day decide if I can re apply?
That way, if i don't get good grades, I can scrape into Durham lol.

I honestly think I am capable, and I mucked up in my interview because of nerves (even though i thought they went ok?) and really Oxford Law is my ultimate dream, and has been since forever, so in that sense my heart really isn't in the other uni's i have offers from
Is this a viable plan? Would it be worth re applying?

(I am an international student btw)
Original post by lawmanqq1999
I applied for law this year, got an interview and then got rejected.

I am predicted 44 points in the IB, but currently i think the maximum i could get is 40/41. I have an offer from Durham (and Bristol, Exeter too) which is 38 with 666.

Can i firm the Durham offer, slog and try my hardest to get grades which are competitive for an Oxford application, and on results day decide if I can re apply?
That way, if i don't get good grades, I can scrape into Durham lol.

I honestly think I am capable, and I mucked up in my interview because of nerves (even though i thought they went ok?) and really Oxford Law is my ultimate dream, and has been since forever, so in that sense my heart really isn't in the other uni's i have offers from
Is this a viable plan? Would it be worth re applying?

(I am an international student btw)

Yes you can

(what I might do as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Yes you can

(what I might do as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh ok so there are others in the same boat. idk i just feel like I could have done it providing i did better in the interviews. have you heard of people getting in second time around or no?

No, I don't believe that you can legally (but you're the prospective lawyer!). If you meet the (firmed) Durham offer, then you will be going there. Practically, it may well be different though.

The honest approach would be to withdraw your application and reapply next year, taking what you can get then with results.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
No, I don't believe that you can legally (but you're the prospective lawyer!). If you meet the (firmed) Durham offer, then you will be going there. Practically, it may well be different though.

The honest approach would be to withdraw your application and reapply next year, taking what you can get then with results.

Hi! Ive chatted with my uni counselor and apparently you can do that? I had the same thoughts as you but I think it is possible to reject the uni, I would just lose the UCAS fee i paid.
I'm going to see what they said in my feedback as well, to see if maybe it was because I messed up, or whether im just not Oxford material (slightly pessimistic but could be the case) would you say getting in after re applying is unheard of?
sorry im not sure what you mean, did you mean not common?

if so, how do you know this (genuine question not being aggressive at all!) did you apply, do you know people that did?
oh ok so there are others in the same boat. idk i just feel like I could have done it providing i did better in the interviews. have you heard of people getting in second time around or no?

There are some people on tsr who reapplied and got in. Try the Oxford decisions thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest