Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all ..
    Is there anyone who studying organic chemistry can advice me how to study the SN1 , SN2 , E1 , and E2 reactions ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nada Billy)
    Hi all ..
    Is there anyone who studying organic chemistry can advice me how to study the SN1 , SN2 , E1 , and E2 reactions ??
    SN1 vs SN2 is a very important open-ended case study discussion in A-Level and possibly at AS also for some exam boards.

Think of what Sn1 means
    - 1st order reaction - single molecule in the slowest step of the reaction
    - it has two steps (first step is the slowest)
    - it has double hump for the energy profile diagram - with carbocation intermediate in the middle trough
    - hmmm...that is a carbocation, from a alkyl halide...how? break C-X bond...how... heterolytic fission...how? on its own obviously (see first point - only 1 molecule in the slowest first step).
    - draw mechanisms again and again with different examples

Sn vs En is a common first year university chemistry case study, possibly in A-Level also i suppose.
    - aq NaOH in water promotes nucleophilic substitution (hydrolysis) of RX to ROH
    - NaOH in ethanol promotes elimination of RX to alkenes

Hmm, why, how? read up on chemguide further, but not before you can even differentiate Sn1 and Sn2.

Now I am sure some textbook reading would be beneficial, as would talking to people, as would chemguide as well.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    SN1 vs SN2 is a very important open-ended case study discussion in A-Level and possibly at AS also for some exam boards.

Think of what Sn1 means
    - 1st order reaction - single molecule in the slowest step of the reaction
    - it has two steps (first step is the slowest)
    - it has double hump for the energy profile diagram - with carbocation intermediate in the middle trough
    - hmmm...that is a carbocation, from a alkyl halide...how? break C-X bond...how... heterolytic fission...how? on its own obviously (see first point - only 1 molecule in the slowest first step).
    - draw mechanisms again and again with different examples

Sn vs En is a common first year university chemistry case study, possibly in A-Level also i suppose.
    - aq NaOH in water promotes nucleophilic substitution (hydrolysis) of RX to ROH
    - NaOH in ethanol promotes elimination of RX to alkenes

Hmm, why, how? read up on chemguide further, but not before you can even differentiate Sn1 and Sn2.

Now I am sure some textbook reading would be beneficial, as would talking to people, as would chemguide as well.

Good luck.
    Thanks a lot 😉

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.