Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all ..
    Is there anyone who studying organic chemistry can advice me how to study the SN1 , SN2 , E1 , and E2 reactions ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nada Billy)
    Hi all ..
    Is there anyone who studying organic chemistry can advice me how to study the SN1 , SN2 , E1 , and E2 reactions ??
    SN1 vs SN2 is a very important open-ended case study discussion in A-Level and possibly at AS also for some exam boards.

Think of what Sn1 means
    - 1st order reaction - single molecule in the slowest step of the reaction
    - it has two steps (first step is the slowest)
    - it has double hump for the energy profile diagram - with carbocation intermediate in the middle trough
    - hmmm...that is a carbocation, from a alkyl halide...how? break C-X bond...how... heterolytic fission...how? on its own obviously (see first point - only 1 molecule in the slowest first step).
    - draw mechanisms again and again with different examples

Sn vs En is a common first year university chemistry case study, possibly in A-Level also i suppose.
    - aq NaOH in water promotes nucleophilic substitution (hydrolysis) of RX to ROH
    - NaOH in ethanol promotes elimination of RX to alkenes

Hmm, why, how? read up on chemguide further, but not before you can even differentiate Sn1 and Sn2.

Now I am sure some textbook reading would be beneficial, as would talking to people, as would chemguide as well.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    SN1 vs SN2 is a very important open-ended case study discussion in A-Level and possibly at AS also for some exam boards.

Think of what Sn1 means
    - 1st order reaction - single molecule in the slowest step of the reaction
    - it has two steps (first step is the slowest)
    - it has double hump for the energy profile diagram - with carbocation intermediate in the middle trough
    - hmmm...that is a carbocation, from a alkyl halide...how? break C-X bond...how... heterolytic fission...how? on its own obviously (see first point - only 1 molecule in the slowest first step).
    - draw mechanisms again and again with different examples

Sn vs En is a common first year university chemistry case study, possibly in A-Level also i suppose.
    - aq NaOH in water promotes nucleophilic substitution (hydrolysis) of RX to ROH
    - NaOH in ethanol promotes elimination of RX to alkenes

Hmm, why, how? read up on chemguide further, but not before you can even differentiate Sn1 and Sn2.

Now I am sure some textbook reading would be beneficial, as would talking to people, as would chemguide as well.

Good luck.
    Thanks a lot 😉

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2017

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.