Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends says that for curry to be curry it has to be spicy. I disagree with this statement as I am a lover of the succulent chicken korma dish. I would like to get an outside opinion on this topic to see if I have been living a lie my whole life. its just when I have spice it really hurts my mouth and it is not very nice. it makes me sweat and that makes me wanna cry, because of this I like to eat korma.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wandulu)
    One of my friends says that for curry to be curry it has to be spicy. I disagree with this statement as I am a lover of the succulent chicken korma dish. I would like to get an outside opinion on this topic to see if I have been living a lie my whole life. its just when I have spice it really hurts my mouth and it is not very nice. it makes me sweat and that makes me wanna cry, because of this I like to eat korma.
    Im assuming you mean Indian Style Curry? - I dont think it has to be "spicy", but it has to contain spice.

My favourite curry is Lamb Madras.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer a spicy curry to one that isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Level of how hot the dish is is personal preference (much like it is at Nandos) but spices need to be used for it to be a curry.
    But I prefer a hot dish as I'm used to it :headfire:

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of confusion over the term spicy. A lot of people use it to mean heat . Spice/ spicyness encompasses a whole plethora of delicious ingredients some very subtle , some not so ,that when cooked correctly is the right amounts can add dimentions to your dish/mouth that you never thought possible.

I too was in the same boat as you and would only eat chicken kormas , as my face would melt at the mere suggest of anything spicy or hot , but the key to expanding your palaet is training. Try ,very, very gradually increase the level of spice or heat of the dishes that you eat , get foods as side order rather than a main so there is not so much waste. The feeling of a correctly spiced and temperatured dish expands the flavours of the meal experienced in the mouth for ages after in the best possible way!

FYI trad Indian food is not hot ( spicy hot that is) as a general rule and usually veggy. Curry you find in the UK generally is made up for British tastes and bares little or no relation to what you would find in India.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think it should have a bit of heat to it, but I can't take much, personally. I've had a korma which was quite hot one time. There's a local takeaway where you can specify the level of spice you want in any dish so I went for "medium", not realising that "medium" is the second hottest thing they do (they also do "mild" and "very mild"). That was interesting as it tasted like korma...and pain.

When I make chicken tikka masala it's really not that hot at all, especially with all the yoghurt I put in.

Probably the hottest one I do is a totally made up one with beef, but it's balanced out by loads of fruit.

ReputationRep:
    As an Asian- I can safely say that for a curry to be a curry it doesn't have to be spicy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shencha)
    As an Asian- I can safely say that for a curry to be a curry it doesn't have to be spicy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This ^^
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think a well made korma can be really, really delicious. Cream and fruit and chicken and mmmm. :drool: I can't eat tomatoes though so most curries are off limits.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.