Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate my flatmates and I don't think I can bear it for another term... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I only get on with one of them and try and avoid the flat as much as possible. It's noisy, disgusting and I feel intimidated just going into the kitchen. I used to keep asking questions and being friendly but I got tired of making all the effort, and now they just can't be bothered. They just look at me and my other flatmate and go quiet when we come in.
    I hate the loud music throughout the day. One day I was sick and I had to lie in bed putting up with it from lunchtime well into the evening.
    The night before an exam I couldn't sleep until the morning as they were having fun screaming and smashing the Christmas decorations for fun, leaving tiny glass pieces
    I have to go out after everybody has gone to bed to check nobody has left the gas hobs/oven/TV on which makes me very anxious as they aren't responsible enough to do it themselves.
    The mess is unbearable and I have had to wash up plates that are 3 weeks old before. Mould grows in mugs and chicken legs have been floating in the sink before. I'm a vegetarian and it's just horrible.
    I've had to avoid water/jelly/brown sauce fights and the remnants of which you can still see outside my room. It's likely I'll be charged for property they broke as well.
    They have no respect for other's property. I accidentally left a tea towel in reach in a cupboard one weekend and it has a massive black burn hole in the middle now.

I feel like they think they can do anything because my other flatmate and I are so quiet and seem like we wouldn't hurt a fly... But it doesn't mean we can be walked all over? We've complained to reception but all they could do was issue a complaint to them, which they practically tore up... They were furious - 'its student accommodation, what do you expect! grrrrr!'
    But on the other hand, you're meant to be adults, and you're sharing a space with individuals who are paying a lot of money to have somewhere comfortable to stay. What harm does it do just to be considerate?

Any advice I'm dreading another term of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a-98)
    I only get on with one of them and try and avoid the flat as much as possible. It's noisy, disgusting and I feel intimidated just going into the kitchen. I used to keep asking questions and being friendly but I got tired of making all the effort, and now they just can't be bothered. They just look at me and my other flatmate and go quiet when we come in.
    I hate the loud music throughout the day. One day I was sick and I had to lie in bed putting up with it from lunchtime well into the evening.
    The night before an exam I couldn't sleep until the morning as they were having fun screaming and smashing the Christmas decorations for fun, leaving tiny glass pieces
    I have to go out after everybody has gone to bed to check nobody has left the gas hobs/oven/TV on which makes me very anxious as they aren't responsible enough to do it themselves.
    The mess is unbearable and I have had to wash up plates that are 3 weeks old before. Mould grows in mugs and chicken legs have been floating in the sink before. I'm a vegetarian and it's just horrible.
    I've had to avoid water/jelly/brown sauce fights and the remnants of which you can still see outside my room. It's likely I'll be charged for property they broke as well.
    They have no respect for other's property. I accidentally left a tea towel in reach in a cupboard one weekend and it has a massive black burn hole in the middle now.

I feel like they think they can do anything because my other flatmate and I are so quiet and seem like we wouldn't hurt a fly... But it doesn't mean we can be walked all over? We've complained to reception but all they could do was issue a complaint to them, which they practically tore up... They were furious - 'its student accommodation, what do you expect! grrrrr!'
    But on the other hand, you're meant to be adults, and you're sharing a space with individuals who are paying a lot of money to have somewhere comfortable to stay. What harm does it do just to be considerate?

Hi have you complained about their behaviour to whoever manages your accomdation as I'm sure when you signed your contract you're agreeing to abide by the rules of the place and making extreme noise ect surely breaks the rules along with the sort of other behaviour you explained like breaking decorations ect; please contact whoever is in charge of your accomdation and explain your situation to them ; they'll know if there's anything you can do to try and move to somewhere else ect. Please don't just sit silent and let this carry on ; let people know about it. Have you decided where you'll be living with next year ? If you have then use this as motivation to carry on this year; also if you hate being around these people perhaps think of ways to avoid being in the flat with them so much ; perhaps consider joining more societies or go to the gym; the less time spent in the flat the more happy you'll feel

ReputationRep:
    you have three choices

1. grin and bear it, count down the days until you can move out

2. try and move out, find a replacement tenant or ask your accommodation management if you can move rooms - there may be an admin charge, the next flat may be no better and you may be separated from the one person you get on with

3. make complaints about EVERYTHING which happens, I mean every single instant, every time they're noisy past 11pm call security, every time the kitchen is gross take a photo and email it to management, every time they break things/leave things on make a complaint - if they start getting lots of letters of complaint etc then your flatmates may well get pissed off and take it out on you but it might force your halls to do something (even if it's just moving you out)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a-98)

I think you should just deal with it until your contract as up, that's the least stressful way, because I doubt there would be anyone in need of accommodation where you are at this time of the year.
    Keep confronting them until they listen

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say that at least you are in a position where you get on with one flatmate since I don't get on with any of mine. But your situation is a lot worse. I see no reason to just grin and bear it.

Contact your university to make complaints about the students. Contact whoever owns the accommodation as well. Things like burning holes in a tea towel and smashing/leaving glass lying around is outright dangerous. You may also benefit from the person you get along with complaining as well, if 2 people complain it's better than 1.

Get evidence of this stuff every time it happens. Take photos of the mess they leave. Make it explicitly clear every time that you are not involved in what's going on and won't be paying for damages. Keep pestering everyone, the more times you have to call security or send an email the more annoyed they'll get at the situation and they more likely it is they'll do something about it.

Don't clean up after them at all. If their stuff is mouldy either leave it or bin it. Don't wash up for them. If they get ill or something then sucks to be them. Deal with your stuff and your stuff only.

Yeah, it's student accommodation but you'd have all signed an agreement to at least act like responsible adults. Your flatmates are likely breaking some of the things they agreed to. If you accommodation doesn't enforce those rules then ask for a refund, since they are not keeping up their side of the bargain. Make a massive deal out of it because this is not acceptable behaviour. Your flatmates will get angry with you but who cares. It might make things worse but if you don't act there's no chance of things getting better.

And of course you are more than entitled to reciprocate their idiocy. They disturb you? Disturb them back. They're playing loud music late at night? Get up early and do the same. Don't let them walk all over you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.