Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    The Egyptians distinguished themselves from the Nubians.

The Egyptians are not, and never were, black.
    The rulers of Egypt were for a time Nubian weren't they?

What you seem to be saying is that the Nubians were not considered Egyptian by the folks who were there before them. I don't know how relevant that is.

(Original post by Howard)
    The rulers of Egypt were for a time Nubian weren't they?

What you seem to be saying is that the Nubians were not considered Egyptian by the folks who were there before them. I don't know how relevant that is.
    No, what I am saying is that Egyptians are not genetically, or culturally, black, anymore than Japanese people are Indian.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what colour skin King Tutankhamun was? Just out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    No, what I am saying is that Egyptians are not genetically, or culturally, black, anymore than Japanese people are Indian.
    Would you apply that rationale to blacks in England? Would you say that English people aren't genetically black and exclude black people from "Englishness"?

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    There are tombs of Egyptians from the 1st century AD that have portraits of those entombed inside (I recall seeing a few in the Cambridge Museum)- and they appear just the same as all other Mediterranean people - the Spanish, Italians, Greeks, Turks, Jews, and Egyptians are very similar to each other.

ReputationRep:
    There are tombs of Egyptians from the 1st century AD that have portraits of those entombed inside (I recall seeing a few in the Cambridge Museum)- and they appear just the same as all other Mediterranean people - the Spanish, Italians, Greeks, Turks, Jews, and Egyptians are very similar to each other.
    Yes but having portaits of them doesn't necessarily make them the colour for which they appeard on these portraits. The classic case is Jesus. But I know what you mean. There was a documentary about the King which portrayed him as black.

Yes but having portaits of them doesn't necessarily make them the colour for which they appeard on these portraits. The classic case is Jesus. But I know what you mean. There was a documentary about the King which portrayed him as black.
    If Jesus existed (and that's far from a certainity) obviously he would'nt be the Aryan superman that we have grown to love and worship in our local churches. But, by the same token, he was hardly the Nigerian that certain Pentecostals attempt to portray him as. If he existed he probably just looked like every other Mediterranean - i.e. olive skin.

ReputationRep:
    If Tutankhamun was alive today he would be considered black. Just like how halle berry, colin powell, mel b ...etc are considered black. As he was north african, his skin was not as dark as the africans who live further south.

For those who have actually been or plan to go to egypt, take a look at the art on the walls, you will see the people of the time were black/brown. They were definitely not arab. Oh, and dont u find it funny how white people say this is because over time the colours on the walls change...blah..blah blah

Western media loves to do this. If you were to watch the documentaries charting Tutankhamuns life, more often than not, the lead looks like a tanned white boy.

Before any of you question me, im Egyptian; i know my own history.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

The fabled pictures and busts of Nefertiti are by no means true to life - in terms of skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    There was a documentary about the King which portrayed him as black.
    Come off it. Elvis wasn't black.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I actually thought the King himself was black and I'm a 'Westerner'

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.