Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have never spoken to anyone about this not even my immediate family. I used to think that I was psychotic but had it under control so didn't need to talk to anyone because they would just section me and I had it under control so need.

For since I can remember I have had self destructive thoughts, sometimes refereed to as intrusive thoughts.

The thoughts are basically been anxious about doing things which are destructive to myself or others. On the most mundane level after having spent several hours making notes the thought will pop into my head of ripping the lot up.

on the more scary level I get anxious about the thought of assaulting people, if holding a knife stabbing myself, suicide murder etc.

I used to think I was clearly mentally ill and should never tell anyone about this. then I came across a documentary on OCD a sky news story on it and literature about the type of OCD no one talks about intrusive thoughts OCD.

I didn't drink until I was 21 because I feared losing control. I have literally never told anyone about this in my life.

I found out that people with this form of OCD almost never act on it, such is incredibly rare and apart from causing me anxiety and discomfort it is harmless.

However I feel maybe now I know what it is I should seek support but if a doctor is familiar with it then no harm, however if they are not I could be sectioned in a mental hospital so I am kind of scared to mention it to the doctors.

Anyone familiar with this.

PS to mods I am been serious this is not a troll I know you don't like me but I wouldn't troll about something like this and obviously please keep this anonymous.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have never spoken to anyone about this not even my immediate family. I used to think that I was psychotic but had it under control so didn't need to talk to anyone because they would just section me and I had it under control so need.

For since I can remember I have had self destructive thoughts, sometimes refereed to as intrusive thoughts.

The thoughts are basically been anxious about doing things which are destructive to myself or others. On the most mundane level after having spent several hours making notes the thought will pop into my head of ripping the lot up.

on the more scary level I get anxious about the thought of assaulting people, if holding a knife stabbing myself, suicide murder etc.

I used to think I was clearly mentally ill and should never tell anyone about this. then I came across a documentary on OCD a sky news story on it and literature about the type of OCD no one talks about intrusive thoughts OCD.

I didn't drink until I was 21 because I feared losing control. I have literally never told anyone about this in my life.

I found out that people with this form of OCD almost never act on it, such is incredibly rare and apart from causing me anxiety and discomfort it is harmless.

However I feel maybe now I know what it is I should seek support but if a doctor is familiar with it then no harm, however if they are not I could be sectioned in a mental hospital so I am kind of scared to mention it to the doctors.

Anyone familiar with this.

PS to mods I am been serious this is not a troll I know you don't like me but I wouldn't troll about something like this and obviously please keep this anonymous.
    Hey there!

It's really good that you're telling someone. Even anonymously to an online forum, it's a big start. So well done :hugs:

It does sound like you could do with seeing a doctor. Don't worry, they won't just panic and section you. I used to worry about exactly the same thing. I worked myself up for years, and finally went to the doctor expecting something huge to happen and he just gave me my options (referral to further help, counselling, meds etc), and sent me on my way. All he asked was that I see him regularly so he can check on me because I refused the referral and counselling. What would most likely happen is that your doctor refers you to the community mental health team, where someone will see you and listen to everything you want to explain, then will take it to a small panel of professionals (usually including a psychiatrist, psychologist, nurses social workers - that kind of thing) and they'll decide whether you need further help and what kind of help that might be, so maybe care of a CPN and some kind of therapy and/or medications after further assessment. If you're worried about saying the wrong thing, you can write everything down and practice saying it before hand. I do this because I often forget to mention important things, and sometimes I get too scared to say them. Your GP is a really good first step though. If you want to know anything else, feel more than free to ask

its odd as soon i knew this was OCD and that I would never actually follow through on any of these thoughts it does not have the same affect on me recently in terms of anxiety.

Maybe that is all I needed I spoke to the OCD helpline and got information. I have decided to see how I get on in the coming months and if I feel anxious with it in the future seek help probably through CBT just recent developments have shown once I understand what this is it may not make me anxious in the same way anymore. Time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    it's insanely unlikely that someone will section you for intrusive thoughts about hurting people, generally to be considered enough of a risk you'd have to have some form of plan OR be considered out of control in some way

some doctors aren't great with mental illness but in my experience that doesn't tend to result in anything too terrible, you just get your referral and they get rid of you as fast as possible (but that's no bad thing)

I would really try and talk to a doctor about this if you can

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.