Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Netball evil? (and a short history of the rules.) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if you caught QI the week before last, but Sandi Toksvig and Holly Walsh had some words to say about netball - mostly that it is evil.

But did you know that the rules of restricting where players could go on the court when playing came originally from a misunderstanding?
    When netball was adapted from basketball, a diagram was passed from James Naismith to Clara Baer showing the best places that players would operate in, but she misunderstood and the rules became that the players couldn't leave those areas.
    http://qi.com/infocloud/netball

What position did you play? I was Wing Defence, and if you're thinking you can't remember that position, it was so pointless that if we didn't have enough players when we did school tournaments, the Wing Attack and Defence were first to be cut from both teams to allow the match to go on as usual.
    And on more than one occasion a Centre ran into me and pushed me over the line into the third I wasn't allowed into.

Did you think the rules were as stupid as I did (and Sandi and Holly too)? No wonder it isn't played in the Olympics.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I played Centre when we played at school, mainly because it was the only one I could remember the rules for :mmm: Otherwise, I hated netball. Rather bloody complicated
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Airmed)
    I played Centre when we played at school, mainly because it was the only one I could remember the rules for :mmm: Otherwise, I hated netball. Rather bloody complicated
    Lol why was it the only sport that you could remember the rules for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Lol why was it the only sport that you could remember the rules for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant the centre position was the only one I remembered the rules for. All positions have different rules for where they can go in netball, right?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

I meant the centre position was the only one I remembered the rules for. All positions have different rules for where they can go in netball, right?
    I think so , only played netball once

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I played Netball once as my friend was crap at football and I wanted to flirt with the girlies.

ReputationRep:
    I have played netball for over 14 years and I have coached it as well.

Probably my best game.

I have always played GS or GA. Those are my absolute lifetime favorite positions!

ReputationRep:
    I could go into the centre third and the third the other team was shooting for, but not the semi circle of that third... I think (as Wing Defence).

I pretty much only stayed on the team because I made friends with all the other Wing Attacks from the other schools and that's the only time I properly saw them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.