The Student Room Group

Louise's route to AAAB

Scroll to see replies

Wednesday 1st February:

As always, today was full of 4 hours of Classics lessons, and a couple of meetings for in college leadership roles.

Lessons 1 and 2 - A2 Classics: Lesson 1 was covering the homework and the beginning of Tiberius' changes to the Treason trials. This was most likely continued into the second lesson, but I was in a meeting from 10am (which lasted an hour and a half) so I missed that lesson. Luckily, one of my friends has volunteered to email over their notes when they're able. So at least I'll have something :smile: Another friend also told me what homework was set, for Friday's lesson.

Homework: Print off Tingay chapter 3; read Tacitus 4 and summarise rebellion Clemens and their relation to the Senate.

Lesson 3: AS Classics. We continued reading through The Acharnians, and I finally got lines to read out! Yes, we finally covered Lamachus' first scene, and with another friend reading out Dikiaopolis' lines, we were really dramatic and eventually had people in tears (given that some of the lines were stupidly sexual, being read between a boy and a girl...) Notes were made.

Lunch; I did not manage to have a break this time, due to the fact that a meeting started immediately after lunch, and I had to race over to the other side of college to get there and back. The meeting was quite relaxed, a student forum meeting where lots of suggestions were thrown my way - given that most issues brought up were for Teaching and Learning (the area I help out with)

Lesson 4: Racing back to my classroom, I arrived in time.... for the assessment. It was a full section A - out of 35 marks - and we have the typical 45 minutes/1 hour to complete it. I think I did rather well, even though I didn't do as well as expected on the 10 mark essay (that section of the play I don't recall any notes for). But I still did better than my friend in that class, who panicked and could only answer the 5 mark comprehension questions...
We're expecting to get that assessment back Friday.
No homework was set, as the work that was (complete the questions in the booklet about the play) was completed in lesson.

EDIT 1: Mental health was okay today, because I didn't meet the 'friends' from Tuesday who were the reason for a mental breakdown and potentially suicidal thoughts, due to being busy. I definitely felt better, but I know that they're talking behind my back about me - it's the birthday of one of them on Thursday (today as I write this) and I don't feel like celebrating at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486042346.426145.jpg

That's the assessment completed in AS Classics yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486042849.217820.jpg

As I'm off today (Thursday 2nd February) due to severe cramps - seriously. They're so bad I can't walk.

But anyway! This is a photo of my to do list for today. When each is completed, the post it will be removed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck for AAA! I went to look around Kings College in the summer and it's such a lovely Uni!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486113079.636731.jpg

Friday 3rd February;

Lesson one and its AS Classics. Already I've received back the assessment from Wednesday. And given that I had no idea about the 10 mark question, I managed 17/35- 48%. I'm quite proud. 😊

It's still higher than what I achieved in the final exam at the end of 2016 😂🎉

Even so, I was still surprised this was less than 20 marks out of the 25 total. I was hoping to get around 25, or half of what I'm aiming to get in the entire paper. But this may be due to me not understanding the 10 mark question and getting few marks on it.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ruhlease
Good luck for AAA! I went to look around Kings College in the summer and it's such a lovely Uni!

Thanks!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
I haven't actually looked around any universities besides Birmingham, only picking based on course content themselves.

But yeah - I hope I can get AAA; it's the course I like the most, and I fell in love with London the first time I went down in 2014
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486141068.286678.jpg

From the second classics lesson this afternoon 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I can't believe I haven't found this until now! You seem to be doing really well and I'm excited to see your hard work pay off! :biggrin:
Saturday 4th Feb:
Due to the fact it was a couple of friends' birthday this week, little work is being done today as I'm going to go out and meet them for a little celebration. Both turned 18, so I'm finally not the only 18-year-old in the group! :smile: But as I woke up at 11, needing to be there 12 to 5, I am unlikely to get great amounts of work done.

As such, I'm only setting myself a weekend target, rather than a daily one. Like I began doing Thursday, I have written each job to do on a post-it note, and when completed will be thrown away; I feel this works better than simply writing a list on a piece of paper/word document because it's refreshing to see the space clear, and I almost feel proud of my accomplishment when the note is thrown in the bin.

EDIT 1: It's 5:30 pm, and I've only just arrived home :smile: Honestly, I'm exhausted as we spent a good hour or two playing Just Dance - which was fantastic. (Despite the fact we broke the light in the lounge...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Monday 6th February:

Today has been a slow day, even considering it's a Monday! With my extended project meeting this morning canceled, I had been in college since 9:45 and without lessons until 1:30 pm. The first two hours were spent collating notes for the history lessons I missed last week - although a lot of this information was covered at the begging of the lesson at 2:30 this afternoon.

Today I decided to try and keep an eye on my fitness, knowing that improving my fitness will last improve my mood and memory; I charged up my Fitbit last night, and have kept tabs on the information collated throughout the day. As of 7:00 pm, I have managed about 5,500 steps, and have reached the active minutes goal of half an hour for the first time since buying the Fitbit back in November. I feel so proud of myself; I hope I can keep it up!

Lesson 1: English Literature. We finally finished Rime of the Ancient Mariner. After almost two weeks, we are done with the longest poem to study! Tomorrow we start Wordsworth, and given that I'm not familiar with his works, this should be interesting. I have collated all notes on the Ancient Mariner, and placed them in their own plastic wallet within my English folder - the same I'm doing for all Romantic poets. I hope, whenever I have a spare moment, to annotate parts 5-7, which have only written notes, and not annotations on a copy of the poem itself (the visual of which helps me revise)

Lesson 2: History. A pretty normal lesson, beginning the economic aspects of Russia during the First World War. Given that WW1 interests me, this was a nice break from feeling like I'm stupid/not taking anything in. We were given a small piece of homework for tomorrow's lessons, which I am planning to finish in my frees tomorrow morning, if I do not go for a walk.

As I write this, I've been listening to the Assassin's Creed Movie soundtrack on repeat for what is going on two hours; I've seen the movie twice, and spent most of my free time today reading the novel. I adore this movie so much, and I'd love to personally be in it someday (even if just a background character) Lord of the Rings is also on tv, so I feel relaxed, and in the mood to do some work.

This evening I intend to write some more for my own novel, even if it just results in planning or editing, and then completing the research task given in AS Classics on Friday.
Days left until the first mock exam: NINE.

My first mock is next Thursday, and is going to be a complete Crusades paper. Given that I achieved an A on this paper in June last year, I feel confident. But I haven't done as much revision as I had hoped by this point, so I hope to get in as much as possible.

The rest of my mocks are between the 3rd and the 7th of April.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486409649.849721.jpg

A photo taken during history class this afternoon 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tuesday 7th February:
2:45pm.
Today was pretty uneventful, due to my english teacher being off today (she was quite ill yesterday, and was considering having the day off anyway; I hope she's okay.)

As such, I was in college from 9:15 until 3:30 - with my only lesson being for the last hour. Which also finished ten minutes earlier than usual. I spent quite a lot of this time finishing the book I'd brought with me, reading roughly 3/4 of it today alone, or spending time of duolingo trying to learn Italian (because I had been neglecting that.)

Spoiler

As English wasn't on, I was instead given the work (see image below) which I am planning to do when I get home. I also plan to do both sets of classics work, which shouldnt take much time.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486585813.190406.jpg

Literature homework from yesterday; today I found that she was in college, albeit still ill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wednesday 8th Feb:

Spoiler

Today was once again filled with 4 hours of classics (out of 4)

A2 Classics: The first lesson was an unseen assessment. The June 2015 CIV4D paper, and we had 45 minutes to complete it. I felt like I tried my best, and am hoping for 25 out of 35 or higher. The results will most likely be posted by Friday, and will put the results up here :smile:

The second hour was spent covering the homework on Tiberius' involvement with the treason trials, and whether his influence held any merit. Most of the class came to the conclusion that it didn't.

Homework set: None.

AS Classics: We finished the Acharnians!
Homework: Complete the 20 mark question set in the June 2015 paper.

This afternoon held little work to be completed at home, as I was helping out at college until 5/6pm. As such, I only managed to get home just before 7, and have spent most of that time relaxing as I think I've pulled a muscle in my shoulder. :frown:
Something I feel I should mention. In the last few days in my frees I have been practicing Italian on Duolingo just for something to do.

This also works into my New Years resolution as well as my trip in six weeks time to Pompeii.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486586393.220955.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486586415.436850.jpg

The result of AS Classics' kahoot this afternoon. 🎉🎉🎉 two out of three wins!

I thought I was not going to win this one, as I messed up an easy question but luckily the person in front got one wrong on the final question that I was able to guess correctly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thursday 9th February:

Today could be considered quite hectic, as from the moment I left the house at 8am this morning, I had no chance to stop until half one this afternoon.

Lessons 1/2: History

As usual, the first hour was spent working on our coursework. While I am typically lazy in this hour, I was very productive today, taking advice written on my latest draft, and made major edits. Such edits include the removal and complete rewrite of several pieces of analysis for primary sources, and the mass editing and complete change in the planning of the paragraph on Gallipoli to make it seem less like a story. I feel this has definitely been beneficial and has no doubt increased the possible marks I can receive for my coursework.

This has thus improved my mood in the long run, as the essay itself appears to be collating nicely; that A is definitely within my grasp!

The second hour was once again on the Russian module; before we began our teacher reminded us that next week's first lesson would be our Crusades mock, and the second hour would be dedicated to coursework. Though I knew this already, it began to make me panic, as I still feel unready for a genuine mock exam. I'm intending to spend Sunday this week retrieving notes and revising.

Spoiler

(Back to the lesson)
The Russia module today covered Stalin's collectivisation; a brief video was shown from which we took notes relating to questions in the work booklet. This information was then discussed as a class, before we were given a kahoot quiz on The Tudors - relating to the reformation and Thomas Cromwell. Instead of the typical 'select the answer' quiz, we had to place dates and events in order. I picked the name 'Richard I' to throw people off, and we had people pick 'Paulshevik' (paul being our teacher) and other jokes and memes.
I achieved the longest correct answer streak, remaining first for the first half of the quiz - 4 questions out of 8. But I messed up a question that others got correct, so I moved down to second. Unlike the quiz yesterday in classics, I was unable to reclaim first - having to settle for third. But considering that this was out of 12 people, I am still pleased of my achievement. Next time I shall aim for second!

The kahoot quiz overran into break, so I had to go straight from history to english literature.

Lesson 3: English Literature.
Today finally began the first of 3 Wordsworth poems that we over the exam; our teacher was in lesson today after missing Tuesday's, albeit still feeling terrible, so today's lesson was a calmer discussion and introduction to Wordsworth, as well as going over what was our work in the lesson that she missed.

*to complete notes*

Homework: Read the next poem and highlight the lines that stand out to you the most. For Friday 10th Feb.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sunday 12th Feb:

Today was spent doing a lot of revision for the Crusades mock Thursday - It's at 9:15 that morning so I will have roughly 10 minutes of revision before going to sit it. As such, I have attempted to get most of my notes down as minimal as possible, so I carry more information in less. I made cue cards, as well as using powerpoint provided by my college to expand notes as well as getting the basics down for certain notes.

I spent roughly three hours on this, getting through three episodes of BBC Musketeers in the process.

In preparation of the revision session with two friends tomorrow morning, I have been glancing over the notes made for A Streetcar Named Desire, and attempting to move over as many notes as possible to a copy of the book with the scribbles in the margins.

Upon checking the online website that college uses - I found that the A2 Classics assessment completed on Wednesday was 26 out of 35 - for than I was hoping for!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486923598.389362.jpg

A little artistic photo of a small section of revision completed this morning.

All of this was completed before noon 😊🎉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending