Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 13th February:

*Woo! Onto page 3! Thanks for sticking around for so long!*

This morning I had 3 hours of frees, but had decided to use those hours wiser than normal and set up a study group with two friends who ao studying for English Literature. In the hour and a half (9:30-11) that we revised and compared notes, we began back at Streetcar named Desire, going through the play scene by scene, finding our top 5-10 quotes and summarizing the scene in r3-5 bullet points. We managed to get through 5 scenes, and began the sixth before we stopped for break. It's great how much we remember, given we finished learning the play in October 2015.

In the following free, I decided to get my crusades notes together (the ones I had taken to college) and attempted to revise. In the end, little of this was done, and instead spent the free as a free hour. It was refreshing to just have some time to myself, and finished the small review of a novel I'd read for the Six Reads Challenge that I am participating in within the college (I also did this last year)

After lunch, lesson 4 was English Literature. Today we covered the final Wordsworth poem - Intimidations of Immortality. We finished the poem within the hour given, allowing us to spend the remaining three hours this week on the developments of coursework. The poem itself was largely untouched, instead focusing on a few key areas - with many finding similarities to Tinton Abbey covered in Friday's lesson. As I had not read either poem before covering this lesson, I was amazed with how much I could get out of it from the top of my head - a skill I intend to develop in preparation for the unseen poem section of the exam. There was no homework set, only suggestions to check out Byron's poems if we had free time over half term next week.

Lesson 5: History. The friend who typically sits to my left was absent today, so it left me having to complete work with a known trouble maker and someone who just refuses to do work on a daily basis. It definitely annoyed me, but did somehow improve my work ethic, getting more notes down in a legible fashion as I no doubt spent more time concentrating.
    Homework: complete the table concerning the differences and similarities in economic strife from Alexander II to Khrushchev. For Tuesday (and which I intend to do in my frees.)

At this point, it was 3:50, and I had two meetings this evening - which resulted in me getting home at 7pm (It's 9pm when I'm writing this, and I am exhausted.)

The first lasted until half four, and was concerning the layout of a fundraising week that is scheduled for 6-10th March. We were split into groups of 3/4 and selected a task that we would focus on. My group, including 2 of my friends (and the younger sister of one of them) initially chose to host a cake sale, but another group picked to do that too, and so we changed our minds instead settling on organising the music (and what songs to pick). This was going to be difficult for me because a lot of my music consists of Lindsey Stirling, or soundtracks.

The second meeting - which began an hour later at half 5 - was about my trip to Italy. We got given an itinerary of what we were doing on what day - with us climbing Vesuvius and visiting Pompeii on the last day! We're staying in a 4 star hotel in Sorrento, and I cannot wait!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A couple of photos from Monday 13th Feb.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1487064605.545909.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  86.9 KB
    A page of notes in Streetcar. Most were from the revision session that morning.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1487064644.785191.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  31.6 KB
    The optional work set out in English literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 15th Feb

Due to getting 2 hours of sleep last night (A* parenting for the 6 month old child next door - letting it cry at all hours for at least 20 minutes each time!) I had to have today off, mainly because I was dead on my feet.

So after spending another 5 hours getting sleep and sitting in a half-conscious state, I decided to make the most of today and revise for the Crusades mock exam tomorrow morning. (I AM TERRIFIED, HALP.)

From 11am to 3:30 I spent time going over notes and condensing the information as much as possible to fit onto 10-15 post-its per section (First crusade, second crusade, Crusader states, and third crusade) I don't know why it ended up being post-its, it just felt appropriate.

I also found some YouTube videos today that talked through the First Crusade in detail - which helped with the battles such as Antioch and Edessa that I knew less about.

Spoiler:
    Show

Song of the Day:

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1487252547.180149.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  63.8 KB

One page of notes from my crusades revision; I managed to get each crusade, and crusader states down to under ten post it notes. They were also colour co ordinated. The ones in the image are for Crusader States

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 16th February:

TL; DR - After the Crusades mock at half nine this morning, today has been reasonably quiet - a very relaxed day which afforded me time to treat myself I mean I wore my lucky Assassin's Creed necklace, so I deserve it!

Lesson 1:
    This was the Crusades mock. I spent the 15-minute journey to college revising - mainly the Crusader States as I felt less confident on that (let's not even talk about the Second Crusade) and tried my best to not burst into tears (I get myself so worked up over assessments it's unreal)
    The hour was horrible and the hand cramp was so painful I needed to stop for a good 5 minutes. But, after that hour, I felt confident I had done my best. The questions were:

Choice 1: Crusader States, and success of the Third Crusade.
    Choice 2: The Second Crusade, and the fall of the Crusader States.

Needless to say, I picked the first option. I'm hoping to get around 20 out of 30 - 23 is my initial target after all (76%, or what I think is an A)
    EDIT (27/2/17) - my Actual marks were 5/10 and 13/20, so 18/30, 2 marks below my target. Though I almost cried when I read that, I feel that I know where I need to go.

Lesson 2: Was history coursework, which I spent organizing notes and just relaxing after that assessment. I hope to make this up Sunday and in half term next week.

Lesson 3: Literature coursework. After heading to lesson to get my registration mark, I instead met up with a friend and finished the initial run through of Streetcar Named Desire. She's planning to place all our notes on an A3 mindmap which she'll photocopy and give me a copy on the first day back (Feb 27th) This revision session lasted into the first 10 minutes of lunch, which was because we spent 10 minutes in lesson having a chat with our teacher.

Lesson 4: A free hour, which I spent trying to complete the Classics work I missed on Wednesday (and Friday last week) while listening to the complete cutscenes from Rise of the Tomb Raider.
    Spoiler:
    Show

A friend of mine had a history lesson here, where she said the teacher in question was already marking our mocks. oh god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1487252547.180149.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  63.8 KB

One page of notes from my crusades revision; I managed to get each crusade, and crusader states down to under ten post it notes. They were also colour co ordinated. The ones in the image are for Crusader States

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Loving the notes! You are doing fab x

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate your Hamilton references
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstiah_h)
    Loving the notes! You are doing fab x
    Thanks! I managed to get each down to 8-10 in the end - and that included the empty ones in the photo. I definitely think they helped better than the cue cards I typically make because they're easier to find and keep a hold of, as well as having little snapshots of key themes and questions that might come up

(Original post by whatadon)
    I appreciate your Hamilton references
    I was waiting to see how long it would take people to notice! (I might add some more in tbh)
    Are you going to see it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1487414937.815737.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  65.9 KB

For the start of my half term, I thought I'd make a little check list of things to do for my history coursework.

Each item listed on the side is a topic for a paragraph (Gallipoli, Jutland, Chemical gas, etc) and the headers at the top are things that need to be included in those paragraphs for higher marks, such as AO2 (use of primary sources) and linking the paragraphs back to the question.

I have also edited the document itself to colour code those pieces in the essay, so it's easier to visualise which sections I need to add into each paragraph if there's a colour missing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'd just recommend when you are doing assignments and tests to aim for a mid A or even an A* so even on a bad day you have a greater chance of getting an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIncredibleZ)
    Hi I'd just recommend when you are doing assignments and tests to aim for a mid A or even an A* so even on a bad day you have a greater chance of getting an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's pretty good advice that I've tried to follow actually.
    I'd love to get A's on each assessment, and I'm hoping my goals are trying to reflect that? I only put Classics as a B because I know that one is more difficult for me, and that it's a bit harder to reach an A there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 18th Feb:

HISTORY:
    I spent almost 6 hours working on coursework today, printing off at least 2 different drafts in the meantime.
    I made progress into what was being added into the paragraphs - finding another 2 pieces to be used as primary sources, another historian, and liking two paragraphs back to the question.
    Downside? the current word count is 3958 - and though a paragraph or two are going to be removed and written in two sentences each, this may only save 300-ish words. And I still have a lot to do.

ENGLISH:
    In line with what we were told Tuesday, I went through the Hunger Games finding the age numbers for quotes I've used in my essay; luckily I highlighted the quotes I'd used so this wasn't too much of a problem. (It's an old and damaged book, so as much as I hate writing in books, the copy was too damaged to be used for anything else after this.
    Spoiler:
    Show

...and following a large family argument that resulted in me punching a wall and bruising 3 knuckles, it's difficult to write, and typing so much slower... So this'll be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Thanks! I managed to get each down to 8-10 in the end - and that included the empty ones in the photo. I definitely think they helped better than the cue cards I typically make because they're easier to find and keep a hold of, as well as having little snapshots of key themes and questions that might come up

I was waiting to see how long it would take people to notice! (I might add some more in tbh)
    Are you going to see it?
    No unfortunately parents wouldn't buy them for me and friends were just too slow so we missed out
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1487513400.024840.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  73.6 KB

Today has been spent working on history coursework again, mainly figuring out how to reduce unnecessary information and condensing two paragraphs into one. The image is of part of the paragraph on the use of tanks.

I don't know why, but I've marathoned the first season of How to Get Away With Murder over the last two days, and my productivity has rapidly increased. And I don't even want to go into Law!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 20th Feburary:

Like the last two days, I spent quite a lot of time trying to organise my history coursework. I've rewritten another few sections - but a book I bought hopefully wanting to use it as a primary source, was the wrong book and I can't find the right one anywhere!

But also this weekend I considered auditioning for a Hamilton live sing-along thing being organized in London this April. I'm considering sending in an audition for; Burr, Laurens, and Eliza. (that does of course mean I've had Burn on repeat for a good two hours)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 21st Feb:

Today was spent doing more stuff than just doing work for college.

For one, I went to Go Outdoors to go browsing for new hiking shoes and a coat in prep for Italy. (I managed to find one that fit well, and I'm proud I found it on sale) There was subway on the way home too And for anyone reading this, there's deals going on atm? that I think run out at the end of April... You might need to check this.

I also added the page numbers for the Hunger Games into the english coursework, and Thursday I'm hoping to find some of the other ones for The Book Thief.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1487962083.437577.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  81.9 KB

There's at least 100-odd pieces of paper there including extracts for at least FIVE different drafts of my history coursework. And It's ALL for history coursework.

God help this is impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 27th Feb

So, back to college today, and I'm already behind. For one, I was unable to email over my extended project essay to my supervisor during the holidays, and she was supposed to have a look over to discuss this morning...

But on the plus side, my history coursework is complete! And is to be handed in by half 4 this afternoon. (EDIT: I handed it in by 1, with less than 100 words under the word limit. Most of the people I've talked to said they went over the word limit... I don't know if I should be worried or not.)

Lesson 3: A free, sent instead work on EPQ commentary, and english literature coursework. It was during this hour that a couple of my friends told me that our history teacher is on a trip tomorrow and so our lesson is not being help!

Lesson 4: English Literature. Today we began Byron's poems, beginning with a small talk about handing in coursework before getting into the background of Byron, and then into Lines Inscribed upon a Cup - you know, the one about the Skull (I'm naming this one Hamlet redux.)

... And then it's in history that it went downhill.

Lesson 5: History. It began with getting the Mocks back. 5/10 and 13/20. I immediately threw it away from me and fought the urge to cry. I felt like I'd deserved so much more than that, so to get 60% just destroyed my confidence in both myself, and in the coursework. If I got that on a mock, then what's going to happen to my marks on the coursework?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 1st March!

Hey, we made it to March! Woop! 22 days until my trip, and in LOTR it's the birthday of Aragorn (Can you tell he's one of my favourites?)

And on top of that, I HAVE HANDED IT BOTH SETS OF COURSEWORK. I am overjoyed to get this out of the way; English literature could have been a lot better (I struggled to meet the lower word count) but my teacher said if anything major came up in moderation, she'd find us to hopefully quickly change something.

But yes, Coursework is done! And now for the day; Classics filled as usual.

Lessons 1 and 2: A2 Classics. Today we began Claudius' reign of Rome, going for a small overview of his reign by spending the first hour focusing on the timeline homework we were set over half term (I didn't do it, as it was set in a lesson I was absent for - and then never told even when asked. But I had a laptop, so I found on online which I added to.)

Lessons 3 and 4: AS Classics. We began the second play - The Knights. I have no speaking role in this read through as there's not enough roles for everyone in the class, but I intend to pick one (maybe Harvest or Hermes) in Peace when we cover it.

Song of the day:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This afternoon/evening I need to:
    • Complete the homework set in lieu of the missed history lesson yesterday (our teacher was on a trip so the lesson was no held) - It's covering the 5 year plans of Lenin
    • Write some more for the Extended Project essay - I'm only on 444 words! And a draft is needed soon. I know what I'm doing this weekend.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Friday 3rd March:

Sorry for not updating yesterday - I spent most of the evening working on Classics homework, as well as organising the first meeting for the AS Literature mentoring that I'm doing. (I had the first meeting today, and she is lovely; she's so much like me in wanting the best it's unreal) The mentoring was actually a lot of fun! I enjoyed it, and as someone who's never done something like this before, I think that I found I did pretty well
    Spoiler:
    Show

At the beginning of the lesson at 2:30 my english teacher commented that she overheard the person I tutored mentioning how useful the lesson was and how well I did.
    Defintely improved my mood!

Also found that this GYG was featured in another TSR article: HERE

And Like usual, today was mainly Classics orientated - but with the mentoring at 10:30-11, I had a small respite.

AS Classics - we finished Act 1 of The Knights. There was apparently a kahoot of quotes from both the Acharnians and the Knights (covered so far) that I missed while I was mentoring, but I know the link and might use it as revision later on.

Homework: complete the notes in the revision booklet up to the questions finishing Act 1.

A2 Classics - We covered the building projects of Claudius here; though most of these lessons were spent trying to get people to shut up and do work (It was pretty funny for the first ten minutes, but when it took 35 minutes to cover the homework then I'm not happy)
    And this was one of the first lessons in which I understood most of what was being said to me, and could bring back comparisons to Tiberius... Watch this not last long.

Homework: Prepare the Option C 40 mark essay on Claudius from the 2012 paper.

A2 English Literature: Continuing with Shelley poems (we did The Cold Earth Slept Below yesterday) and we continued with the context of that, and converted another poem
    Spoiler:
    Show

(In reality, we spent 20 minutes going over the mocks and revision sessions between now and the real exams in June. It was quite funny actually because my teacher was going on about 'hypothetically, if you fail the mocks' and my face fell. Just the idea of failing made me freak out. She picked up on it, but I made it into a joke on how you use the idea of failing: where to go from, or the point of no reutn. "Well we all know which one Louise is without asking.")
    I did have instances last year in Literature where I ended up crying after getting some of my essays back, getting lower grades than what I felt that I'd worked for. (It was the second time that I found out that she marks harshly to make us work harder for better grades, so I don't look at it in the same way now.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.