The Student Room Group

Louise's route to AAAB

Scroll to see replies

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488563745.506166.jpg

A small photo taken in my A2 Classics before lunch - including the textbook (or one of) being used that lesson, as well as my notes on the laptop.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488563762.943769.jpg

This is the essay from A2 Classics that we are preparing for, in order to write it Wednesday 8th March. I feel confident that I could get a good mark here :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488563776.620505.jpg

A friend on mine also doing A2 history found some very detailed notes on dropbox. This is the first page of 13 which I'm printing out and hoping to add onto mind maps and notes that I missed in lesson.

(Also we finally made it to page 4?!)
(edited 7 years ago)
So after being woken up at 2am by the crying child next door, I overslept. Yay.... So with the lack of a sleep schedule, I have decided to make a list of what I'd like to achieve and do by the end of the weekend:

Prepare the 40 mark assessment for Classics - being written Wednesday

Prepare for the English Literature poetry assessment Tuesday

Complete the 6 pages in the booklet for history - we're hoping to finish the topic Tuesday, and begin the War and Revolution unit section Monday the week after.

Write something for the Extended Project essay!!!!

And possibly do:

Apply for a two-week work experience at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery

Spend an hour or two on Just Dance - I'm still trying to get fitter for Italy after all

Weekend Part 1:

Saturday 4th March:
I think I achieved quite a lot this weekend?

I went back through the entire Divus Augustus (Suetonius used for CIV3D) and highlighted important passages as well as summarising long paragraphs with information that I could use.

I'm doing the same for the Res Gestae when I find the booklet :biggrin:

I found some long lost notes for the Extended Project, which I need to type up!

I organised my mocks timetable, and talked with two other friends about lifts to and from college that week.

I also found some key revision materials featured on a couple of the revision blogs I follow on Tumblr - mainly for English Literature, but there were a few for things I do in my spare time/ would like to start doing (such as coding)

Song of the day:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Sunday 5th March:

Less productive than Saturday but I did get down work done!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488820429.116583.jpg
There's a couple of pages of re-written notes for A2 Classics - mainly focusing on the building programmes and things built as I know they will definitely turn up somewhere on the paper (CIV3D)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488820438.653244.jpg
As per the suggestion from my Literature teacher, I have attempted to summarise each critic in the anthology for King Lear onto a single post-it note. Will add an image of the finished work

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Monday 6th March:

Today was reasonably busy today :smile: Also managing to get work done, and help out with college's fundraising week for a local Children's Hospice.

Lesson 1/2: Extended Project. Today after a quick chat over the essay (which I still need to add more to!) we began talking about the presentation and the techniques behind a decent one. Though public speaking isn't my strong point, I know I'm confident enough in this topic to present it to the best of my ability.
My supervisor requested to have a look at a first draft of the powerpoint next week - with a potential first run through and the real thing in the week following that.

Lesson 3: A free! Which I spent going over the large amount of history homework we were set over the weekend, and finishing off the parts I didn't get time to complete before then. I managed to get most of it completed by the lesson - and I was lucky enough to not get asked questions (by being picked on; I didn't put my hand up to answer one for once!)

Lesson 4: English Literature! With the assessment tomorrow afternoon, our teacher wasn't really wanting to start another poem, and so went over several of the poems covered so far, and linking poets and themes. (Okay, so we did begin covering another Shelley poem, but it was only having a look at the structure - which I did surprisingly well with, immediately being able to highlight the Sonnet features and could explain why.)

Lesson 5: History. After going over the homework, we had a surprise kahoot on the Tudor Reformation. Out of 14(ish) I came 6th - which I'm pleased about as at least 4 people didn't get any questions right at all. Following this, the remainder of the lesson was spent covering religious changes and influences between 1855-1964.
Homework: Finish the pages on incomplete work today, and print off (or download) the booklet on war and revolution (which I am so ready for omg. Finally a module where I might actually know something!)

This evening, I need to do quite a bit of revision for literature - I'm still not entirely sure what two questions my teacher will pick, but I'm certain I could use the Ancient Mariner for it! - and if I have time, then I might even do more Classics work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tuesday 7th March

Lesson 1: Instead of doing work this free, I instead went for a walk to grab breakfast at McDonald's. For some people this walk would have taken 20 minutes, but given that I walk quite slow, it took me 45, factoring in different stops at both McDonald's and Costa (yeah I grabbed brownies on the way back - I needed a treat!) I'm quite thankful for the walk into the town centre though, it was quite therapeutic - and given that I go away in 16 days, I need all the training possible.

Lesson2: I went into doing revision for the literature assessment later today, mainly focusing on themes and the connections between the poems. I had a feeling that isolation might turn up as a question, so focused on that for poems I had covered in attended lessons.

Lesson 3: Similar to lesson 2 only with a few more distractions due to more friends having frees here. I did get some work done, making a few mind maps with links and themes.

Lesson 4: The Literature assessment. As per what would happen in the exam, we were given to questions to choose from:

Compare isolation in "Fare Thee Well" and one other poem

Compare pleasure in "Lines inscribed upon a cup..." and one other poem"

I picked the latter, even though I was not confident in either, and compared it with Lines written in early spring. I tried to argue pleasure in nature, as well as the pleasure contradiction of life and death. I'm hoping for a C if I'm lucky.
Edit: NOPE. I got a D.

Lesson 5: History. This lesson walked over the homework, as well as planning the assessment being given to do by Friday as a class.

Homework: Write the history essay and hand in by Friday - Paul will give you 0 if you don't hand it in at all!
- Complete the sheets in the booklet on the Crimean war, Russo-Turkish, and Russo-Japanese war.

The train ride home got a load of work done - even though it was 15 minutes, and all my other friends were messing around. I began planning some of the Classics assessment for tomorrow. Below is the photo of the work completed on the train. I still need to complete the information for Tiberius which might take a while to sift through.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488908825.359976.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Wednesday 8th March:

Lesson 1: The 40 mark Classics assessment. Thinking back to it, I think that I could have done better as I spent most of the assessment talking about Claudius, rather than balancing it between him and Tiberius. But my arguments for Claudius were well founded and were supported by Suetonius and Tacitus, so I believe my mark should be okay - more than 20 at least.

EDIT: Turns out I got 31 out of 40! Which, if I was taking it during the actual exams the year it was set, my answer would have been an A or perhaps even an A*

Lesson 2: Still Classics, but instead working around Claudius' relation with the Senate, and whether the Emperor made the Senate more equal in making decisions... Apparently, this wasn't the case.

Homework: complete the sheet on Claudius' government and administration. For Friday

Lesson 3: So I was pretty tired due to lack of sleep last night, so I didn't attend the double lesson of AS Classics. I know, you are allowed to judge me.

But instead, I began to do work for other lessons, mainly the history assessment and the array of work our teacher had set yesterday. - Or that's what I liked to tell myself. I spent roughly 30 minutes watching videos about The Mind of the Procrastinator in TED Talks. (Ironic, huh?)

Lunch: I had a meeting, so little work was done here.

Lesson 4: Another free, and on a whim, I spent the entire hour learning Italian on duolingo. I got to 9% fluency in an hour. After 90 minutes this went up to 14% (even the physics teacher of one of my friends helped me out - apparently he'd been learning for over a year using the same program!)

Song of the day:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Thursday 9th March:

Today was my day off due to college closing for a teacher training day - and though I was productive, I did not do as much as I felt I should have done.

Goals for the day:

Plan and complete writing the history assessment to hand in tomorrow (Friday 10th)

Annotate The Knights for the lesson you missed yesterday.

Complete the homework set in A2 Classics concerning the Conspiracies against Claudius.

Complete the daily work for Duolingo Italian to continue the daily streak

I managed to complete the first and fourth. I don't have any excuses, I was just really lazy.

Last night I even bought an app that grows virtual trees when I leave my phone alone for certain amounts of time in an attempt to keep me off it.

ON A HAPPIER NOTE, THOUGH!
My Classics teacher has already put out the marks for the 40 mark essay completed yesterday.

And I am overjoyed to say I got 31!! OUT OF FORTY! 77%! I looked up the grade boundaries for that paper, and found that if I got my average mark for Section 1 of the paper, I could have achieved an A*. Holy hell.
Friday 10th March:

And here we are at the end of another week! I'm so happy to reach today - I'm absolutely exhausted.

Lessons 1 and 2: Frees (I missed the re-sit lessons again as I had a ton of work to do) and instead I re-wrote my history essay. I'd written the thing in full yesterday, but it was messy and disjointed - no way I was handing that in as it was. I managed to complete this in over an hour, as I kept getting distracted. I also completed the Italian on duolingo for the day, keeping my streak intact.

Lesson 3 - A2 Classics - and I got my essay back! And true to what I found out yesterday, it was 31 out of 40. The girl sitting beside me got 40 out of 40. It was also in this hour I found out what mark I got on my English literature essay.
This hour covered the homework and summarised everything learned so far concerning Claudius and the senate.

Lesson 4: We watched episode 11 of I, Claudius. (I say watched, I sat on my laptop doing other work)

Lesson 5: English Literature. No new poems today, as we instead focused on information concerning the exams and the assessment completed this week. Our teacher began handing out and giving some verbal feedback about our essay from Tuesday... Let's just say that mine wasn't good.
Current working grade: D
I almost cried. Again.

Since coming home, I have done a lot more revision; making mind maps for Russian topics - focusing more on the War and Revolution module and doing some 'flip-learning' I like this module more than the others, so this should be easier to remember.
(edited 7 years ago)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1489181713.942750.jpg

There was a bake sale in college today to raise money for a local children's charity. LOOK HOW AWESOME THE CAKE IS. EDIBLE GLITTER AND EVERYTHING. 🎉🎉

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1489181758.209875.jpg

A page of work completed at home this afternoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saturday 11th March:

AS I had the house to myself for most of today, I managed to get quite a bit done in the time the house went quiet. For one, I spent over 2 hours (on and off) doing history revision. It was mainly Tudors and I made timelines of each King/Queen and their main events - colour coded depending on the theme/event type.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1489256165.270297.jpg

And given that I got a D on the English literature essay this week, I asked after lesson yesterday for an extra one to complete to see if I could do better. And I finished it this afternoon. Hand-written and without notes and all within time conditions. I feel quite proud of myself for that, but I still need to see what mark I'll get for it.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1489256174.698177.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Sunday 12th March:

Today - well, this morning at least - I did not manage to get much done as I had to go shopping for a final few things needed for Italy. To be honest, I went to buy some shirts, and instead bought 3 books and a magazine about Jack The Ripper... oops?

Anyway! I did manage to get quite a lot done, especially for the Extended Project. For one, I began to write a lot more, and began working on the presentation's powerpoint, which is almost done; the first draft of this is needed tomorrow, which I am going to have to talk through. The presentation itself might be completed on the 20th. Eight days away. I am terrified if I'm to be honest. I wrote some more for the commentary before trying to get something else done. Like the history homework.

Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead, I've organised an A2 English revision for tomorrow morning at 9:00, and a mentoring session at 11:30 both in the college library. This leaves me with no free session tomorrow in which to gather my breath. I sometimes wonder if I've stretched myself too far with this? I'll see how close the next mental breakdown is to tell.
Monday 13th March:

Part 1 of 2/3

Today has been super productive!! I'm so proud of myself.

Lesson 1: An hour revising the Modern Poetry with a friend. We managed to get through 4 poems, before agreeing to meet at lunch and get through another set. Our notes for each poem was: The summary of the poem, a few key quotes and analysis we are unlikely to remember in the exam, and themes expressed in the poem.

Lesson 2: My Extended Project meeting. Here we organised that our presentation is happening next Monday. I had the powerpoint checked over - and it was deemed okay - and tried to plan more work needed before the final essay is being handed in - as well as working around mocks week.

Lesson 3: More revision. This time, I had my mentoring for English Literature. it went well, even if it was short. I got a glimpse at what he wanted to work better at, and what he wanted to achieve.
Monday part 2:

Lesson 4: English literature, and today we covered the rest of Ode to the West Wind, which means there is 1 Shelley poem left! And it's a short one! I am so ready for this tomorrow (and also bc it's my only lesson)

Lesson 5: History. The first thing I was greeted with, was the return of my assessment from last week. I knew I wasn't going to do well, but percentage wise this is the highest one so far! aaaaand I'm still being made to re-do it because you needed 16 to have it deemed okay.

Attachment not found

And then our history teacher set us another essay for this Thursday (it was the one the other group had completed) and it seems like I'm getting a lower mark on this one than the one last week. Woo(!)

Attachment not found

But the lesson itself went okay - I actually participated in class discussions when I usually don't, and this was all without being prompted (mainly because I knew the stuff as it was covered in my coursework)

I actually remembered the wear my Fitbit today, and got this in an email half way through today:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1489426831.557748.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Wednesday 15th March:

Today was a much lazier day than usual.

Lesson 1: Instead of A2 Classics I had a meeting which lasted from 9-9:45, and I was marked absent even though I turned up to the lesson. My tutor is going to moan at me now. Ugh, time to send an email.

Lesson 2: We watched a documentary about Claudius' attempts to conquer Brittanica - And Boudicca. Apparently, I sat there for most of the hour with a huge grin on my face - mainly because I knew most of what was being said because of my Extended Project.

Homework: Prepare the 40 mark assessment for Friday.

Lesson 3: Though we've finished The Knights, we went through the play and tried to make a summary as well as trying to make comparisons to the Acharnians in preparation for beginning Peace in Friday's lesson.

Lesson 4: While I was supposed to be in lesson completing a 30 mark question in AS Classics, I was instead at the mentoring session for English Literature - or I should have been; she never turned up, and then emailed twenty minutes in to say that she wasn't in college. Luckily my mum was working from home today and so gave me a lift home earlier than usual.
I'm definitely intending to complete the 30 mark question in my own time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry I've not updated in the last couple of days - they've been rough.

I'll update later for today and hopefully, will try to explain about the absence.
Attachment not found

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1489780623.483803.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Friday 17th March:

Today was again, full of work including 4 1/2 hours of classics. But it was worth it in the end - even if my train got canceled on the way home so I had to wait in the rain for another hour...

Lesson 1 and 2: AS Classics. We began Peace and finished the first act in an hour. The other hour was spent filling out questions in the work booklet, and trying to make comparisons with the other two plays.

Homework: Prepare for a 30 mark question on Acharnians and Knights.

At break I went to go grab something to eat when I bumped into my English teacher, and we spent 5 minutes to try and organise a time to meet up and talk through the extra essay I completed last week. This does not sound good. Oh god.

Lesson 3: A2 Classics assessment. This was the 40 mark question we were asked to prepare from Wednesday. I don't feel confident with this one, compared to the last one, but I know that I will do alright. Definitely more than 20.

Lesson 4: Another hour of I, Claudius. Our teacher collected most of the phones in the room, because most people got bored about 15 minutes in. (As if that was going to change)
She also got people to turn off laptops (even though there was trouble with one girl who refused to do either. Oh well. To be fair to her, she was trying to do work for photography coursework)
Monday 20th March:

The weekend TL:biggrin:R - lots of panic over the presentation, as well as my forest app not looking like a forest because I kept forgetting it was set, and then killed the trees. Constantly. Then there was also the fact that I had to go shopping again for stuff for Italy.

Today was spent in a state of ultimate panic.

Lesson 1: Due to lifts it was only half an hour, but most of it was spent preparing for the presentation next lesson and trying not to panic.

Lesson 2: The Extended Project Presentation. There were two of us presenting today, and even though we were told to have it 20 minutes long max including questions, we both spent half an hour talking and answering questions. There were 6 people watching, so I have no idea how we had to answer so many! My throat was so sore afterwards.

My practice presentation was last night to my mum, and given the advice from last night, I tried to calm down and communicate a little more with the audience. It meant I was panicking a lot more when I started and it wasn't my best intro - but the rest of it was great. I'm so proud of myself; I hate presenting and now I've got it out of the way, I can definitely focus on finishing the report.

Lesson 3: A free lesson, as the first year I was supposed to be mentoring didn't turn up - he emailed saying he was feeling ill, so I spent the hour trying to calm down and just recuperate before Literature.

Lunch: Ha what lunch. I agreed on Friday to meet up with my English Literature teacher to discuss the extra essay I did and well... It's an achievement that I didn't cry. Again.

Lesson 4: Literature, and today we covered Ode to a Grecian Urn. Given that my mindset wasn't in the best frame at this point, I just kept zoning out and seriously not finding the will to keep going (if I'm going to be a failure, then what's the point?)

Homework: re-read the poem, and make any other notes on questions you still have. For tomorrow.

Lesson 5: History. We went over the homework on the Civil War, and then watched the first half of a documentary about Stalin. It was pretty informative, and I got some decent notes.

Homework: To finish watching the video and make notes, and answer questions in the booklet on WW2. For Tomorrow.

(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending