Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 628424

A little photo of the cue cards used in today's presentation.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1490034847.361799.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  59.2 KB

And the photo of the presentation itself. Taken literally 5 minutes before I was doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 21st March
    Two days until the trip, and I've been asking around for extra work to do while abroad.

Lesson 1 and 2: Frees. I finished the homework set yesterday in History, while also listening to the documentary recommended for us to watch. I also organised work for several other lessons.

Lesson 3: Another free, but I organised a revision session for English Literature - modern poetry - but there was a little mix up. For one, neither of us knew where we were meeting up, and went to find the other one - going to the room the other person was in. So I spent 10 minutes waiting in the library trying to find her - to find she'd gone to find me at the small revision area I'm usually found in. Oopsie.

But after we'd found one another, we managed to get through another 5 poems before lunch, with us hopefully starting again next week on a poem we both appreciate.

Lunch: I had a meeting, so I ended the revision session a few minutes early to go and get some food.

Lesson 4: English Literature. And despite the failure of yesterday's lesson, today went rather well! We began covering Ode on Melancholy and despite not liking many of Keats' poems, I was quick in picking up the main themes and points from the poem. Turns out that I was the one who contributed most in this lesson (well that's what you get when you mention Greek Mythology in front of me)

Lesson 5: History, and this was going over the homework on Russia's involvement in WW2, as well as being given homework on the Cold War - which I'm hoping to do at some point before the next lesson on the 28th (Holy hell, my next history lesson is in a week!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 22nd March:
    OMG I fly out tomorrow morning! I'll try to add some photos of what I've done if I can.

Today was quite relaxed, ignoring the fact I got soaked on the way to college.

Lesson 1: A2 Classics, and it began with getting back a blank and unmarked copy of our assessment from last week. Our teacher wanted to know what sort of mark we thought we were working at before getting back our actual mark.

I got 28 out of 40. Though not as high as the previous assessment, it is still above what my minimum target is, so I am pleased. J

We then used the work completed on Friday's lesson to compare if Claudius' involvement with the Senate weakened the balance of power between him and the Senate.

Lesson 2: A2 Classics again, and we watched a video on Messalina's and Agrippina's downfalls. We were given 4 pages of questions to answer from the documentary - which was rather interesting, even if the class got annoyed when she kept pronouncing "Suetonius" in a strange way that gradually became more and more irritating.

As I'm not in the lessons on Friday, I asked for the work I am going to miss, and am hopefully going to do it by the time my next lesson comes around. Likewise for AS Classics work.

Lesson 3: Again, while I should have had a re-sit lesson here, I instead had a Literature mentoring session, which went well. The girl I was mentoring and I went over the first 6 scenes of Streetcar Named Desire, comparing notes for key quotes (some of which the other person didn't have) and generally talking through the play. This lasted an hour, giving me time to grab some food before meeting with the other person I'm supposed to mentor.

They never turned up, so I had a free lunch.

Lesson 4: A free (which should be AS Classics but there was an assessment I thought I was going to miss, so stayed and tried to organise work that I'm going to miss) After a while one of my friends came and met up with me, and we both compared the trips both of us are going on in the next 2 weeks - me to Italy tomorrow and he to New York on Sunday.
    (I was ecstatic as his hotel is really close to the Richard Roberts Theatre (AKA HAMILTON) and he did promise to take a photo for me if he ever went past.

Song of the Day:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ezio's family (which somehow TSR won't let me link)
    I've had it on repeat for ages in prep for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Have fun in Italy! It's going to be amazing!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 28th March:

I'M BACK!

God, I've missed catching you lot up on here! The trip to Italy was amazing, and there's so much there that helped with revision, but more importantly my confidence and fitness.

The main reason being that I climbed Vesuvius.

With one lung.

I cried on the way up, had to stop to take numerous breathers, but I did it! And if that's not a physical metaphor for A-levels and my work, then I don't know what is. But I do know, that I can achieve whatever I want to if I put my mind to it.

I should be in college today, but I injured my leg on the walk down from Vesuvius, so I'm spending it catching up on work - with teachers being kind enough to email over the work that I'd missed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1490709270.337350.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  100.7 KB

And if anyone's wondering, here's the photo I had taken at the summit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 29th March:

First day back at college after the trip, and boy am I exhausted. And it was all Classics today.

Lesson 1: A2 Classics, and as a beautiful treat... It was a 40 mark essay. After she told me in an essay there wouldn't be one. Great. And it didn't help that the question was a tricky one that I struggled with. Given this, I'm hoping for 20 or higher.

Lesson 2: A2 Classics again, and it was mainly revision and organizing what revision we were going to do before the real exams in June.

Lesson 3: AS Classics, and we watched a cover of Peace on YouTube.

Lesson 4: AS Classics again, and it involved going over the final questions for Peace.

I also managed to do quite a lot of work upon going home, after catching up with missed history work (we'd started the newest booklet on Tuesday)

2:30-3:30PM: I worked on a revision timetable, attempting to equally distribute revision for each of my 7 mock exams.

4-4:30 PM - I found some old notes on comparisons for Hard Times and Atonement, and re-downloaded the Atonement audiobook which I intend to listen to in my free time and while traveling to and from college.

6-7 PM; CIV3D organization, and calculating the average marks and grades I would have achieved at these marks (C on this paper, A on CIV4D)

I also printed out several past papers for this paper to use as a revision guide over the weekend. Notably, this will involve focus on Building Projects as it keeps coming up on papers, and is an easy half marks if I memorise as much as possible.

7-8 PM: I watched a Documentary about the Russian Revolution in Colour, while also teaching my dad some other pieces of information that linked with points brought up in the episode.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1490862217.674135.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  63.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 30th March:

A lot of work completed today, even with the unwelcome lie-in this morning (I was so lucky I wasn't late for the train today!)

Lessons 1 and 2: History, and today we began work on the penultimate section of the course which focuses on nationalities etc. The second hour was about the Polish rebellion in 1863/64.

Homework: Revise for the mocks next week.

Lesson 3: English Literature, and the hour was spent on Hard Times revision.

Lesson 4: While I had this hour down for Henry VIII revision, I instead spent a lot of time doing work for Classics, and most importantly the first paper on Augustus(as it's my first mock - Monday afternoon!)

I made a series of mindmaps after writing down the themes of the previous 3/4 papers, and wrote out as much as I could remember and condensed notes.

Lesson 5: Tutorial. And the only reason I went was because I need the attendance marks - it's an hour I could have spent doing way more work. IT was on healthy relationships and social media, and while I'm aware it's important, I'm in no hurry to start a relationship so I don't need to worry just yet.

On the train ride home, I listened to another chapter or two of the Atonement audiobook, as I did yesterday. And at home, less work was completed than yesterday, but some was still completed:
    • There was an hour and a half of organising things for my A2 Classics exams, as well as beginning more revision (which included a hell of a lot more mindmaps.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1490949292.953722.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  48.3 KB

Image of the notes taken during English Literature revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Friday 31st March:

Month three complete! And with three days left until the mocks, I really need to get my revision back into high gear. I'm not feeling confident about these at all.

Lessons 1 and 2: I took these two lessons to go over the A2 Classics notes I've made in the last few days, and actually make some revision sources on TSR. I'm proud that I accomplished quite a lot in these two hours, but I could have done more. I need to do more.

Lessons 3 and 4: A2 classics, and our teacher made these a couple of revision sessions in prep for the mocks. We went over Augustus' building projects, as that is always going to be on the CIV3D paper somewhere. We were given several handouts and had Three Kahoot Quizzes. I failed miserably. I ended up being first for the first three or so questions, but one wrong answer and I go to the bottom and stay there. And this isn't really helping motivation and with how well I feel like I'm going to be doing next week.

Lesson 5: English literature and our revision lesson today was on King Lear, focusing more on the critics we need to mention in our essays. I had no idea that the marks for the critics in the KL essay was 40% of the total marks (14 out of 35) and considering I'm struggling to remember a few, I'm concerned that the mock on Tuesday where I will be sitting the play, I will fail - and there is no way I'm getting an E so close to the exam. It would destroy me.

It's 5:20 writing this, and I'm intending to do a lot of revision tonight, most likely focusing on all subjects - as well as needing to write something for the EPQ essay which I have greatly ignored since the presentation last Monday.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 631774

The first kahoot this afternoon in classics - and most of the names I chose had something to do with my trip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 1st April:

Happy April Fools! I didn't participate mainly due to the fact that:
    • I'm terrible at pranks
    • I got up at 11am

But I have been way more productive than I anticipated today! Most of it was centered around English Literature and Classics, as they're the two mocks I have first next week (in 2/3 days!) but I am hoping to spend a little time later today, and a bit tomorrow going over Tudors and Russia.

Some of the things completed today:
    • Summarising all chapters of the Res Gestae and Suetonius and picking out quotes to use for key themes
    • Re-watched Atonement and made notes over certain themes and sections - this also meant summarising each chapter/section and beginning to pick out key quotes, while also considering links/contrasts to Hard Times.
    • A quick brief over King Lear; Mum is helping me from half six to most likely eight this evening to go over it. I've also lost the notes for the first 3 acts, so I need to do a ton of revision here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1491067103.811549.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  34.9 KB

My Forest app from just today! 375 minutes and counting!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 3rd April

And with that, Mocks week has officially begun!

Day 1: A2 Classics (Augustan Rome)
    The mock itself was at 12-1:30pm, but I spent three hours prior to this revising with a group of friends. I felt this helped loads more than I thought it would as we revised the section that was definitely going to be on the paper. And I guessed which specific question was going to turn up. So that's an added bonus.

The paper was out of 75, with a 5,10,20 and 40 mark question. I feel I got 4/5, 7or 8/10, 14 or 15/20 and 26/40. So the max mark I think I've achieved would be 53/75. That should be around B or A grade. Which is what I'm aiming for!

This evening is going to be King Lear and Tudor revision - I've done enough revision for Streetcar to feel confident with it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1491230879.077429.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  77.8 KB

A photo taken during revision this morning, where three of my friends and I revised for the CIV3D paper.

EDIT: The image shows the Ara Pacis, but it was the Prima Porta that turned up in the exam. Luckily, I guessed that was most likely to come up, and had us focused a lot more than they were planning to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday Part 2:

I've lost my clean copy of Streetcar. :nutcase:And the mock is at 9 tomorrow morning. I am screwed...

And because I've spent so long searching for it (seriously, a good three hours clearing out the house) and I've spent no time on revision for King Lear or Tudors either.

Then there's the email I received from my EPQ supervisor about the essay being handed in by the end of the week. It's still at 3000 words. I am probably not getting it done. Damn.

Tomorrow is not looking good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 4th March:

Day two of mocks - and with two papers today, I had my work cut out for me.

Today's mocks were:
    • Literature: King Lear and Streetcar
    • History: Tudors

Literature was first at 9am; most of the morning before that was spent panicking as I lost my blank copy of the book - and then I realised that college had about twenty copies in the library so I was saved! The questions were quite nice: I picked the KL one about the ending, and then SC one about the presentation of males and masculinity. I felt like I did better on the King Lear essay, but I know I did enough to avoid a E/U grade. But I'm still aiming for a C or higher.

Two hours and 15 minutes later, and I raced out of the hall to grab some food and raced to meet my friend to do an hour and a half of Tudor revision. This involved at least 6 different games of kahoot and having my butt handed to me in a Lord of the Rings quiz. I am the nerd - how the hell did I lose?!

But at 1:30 the Tudors assessment began. And like the Literature one, the questions were quite nice. Considering I was really worried about the themes, I am confident that I'm able to get at least a C.

I hope the real exams in June go this well, and leave me as confident!

Tomorrow is the Russia paper, as well as Hard Times and Atonement - the two I'm more worried about. Oh boy, I need to do a lot of revision tonight. Luckily, my revision guide for Russia arrived yesterday so at least I have something.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    [ATTACH]633046[/ATTACH

Two hours of revision using this bad boy, and trying to teach my mum about Russian history was more difficult than I initially thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 5th April:

Day three of mocks and the final day of two-mock-days are over! Two mocks to go!

Today's mocks were:
    • History: Russia and its rulers 1855-1964
    • English Literature: Hard Times and Atonement

Both went better than expected! I was terrified that I was going to do so much worse with the Russia paper, but as soon as I noticed the First World War question, I knew I was going to do okay. Well, enough to get a C at least.

Hard Times and Atonement was a little more tricky. The question choice was on either the setting in the novels or about the significance of turning points in the novel. I chose the former as the initial plans for both questions held more points for the former.

Between both, I had about 2 and a half hours, so I met up with about six of my friends to do some revision - and of course none of the questions we planned as a group were options. Damn. But we still tried our best.

EDIT: There was a slight problem at the beginning of the English literature mock. About 20 of us were supposed to be in a classroom as not everyone fit into the gym. But as soon as we got to the room on our timetables, we were kicked out as they'd moved the Media mock exam in there?! Ten minutes of panicking and not knowing where to go later, and we were herded into the gym where we were supposed to be in the first place... We were 5 minutes late but nobody had started yet. Luckily.

This evening it's EPQ work and revision for Tiberius and Claudius - the paper is 9:15am tomorrow morning, so I need to get a move on

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.