Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 1st May:

Happy May people! I now have 3 weeks until my first exam - which is also my resit paper. Which I have not been revising for the last few weeks to focus on my EPQ and Russia modules. Whoops.

But anyway. Most of today was spent celebrating a friend's 18th, so no work was completed until 6pm at the earliest. And 95% of this was on the advice given in the emails by my EPQ supervisor over the weekend, as some of the information handed in Friday is not up to scratch; mainly the essay and the log book.
    And like everything else, she estimated I handed in something about C-grade... Luckily she emailed tips to get it to a B grade by tomorrow. Most of this was figuring out SPAG edits, as well as trying to find something to give more AO1 (organisation) marks.

Although it doesn't help thaat my dad keeps distracting me while I'm trying to work and then moans that I'm not doing anything...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 2nd May:

A lot of work was completed today, and a great deal of it was for the EPQ as my supervisor wanted the Final Version by 4:00 today. I managed it by my first lesson at 1:30! 4 and a half hours of solid writing and editing meant that I had to sacrifice lunch and any chance of going to the toilet - so by 5:00 when I caught my train I was dead. But I managed to get it done in time, and from what my supervisor said and from following her advice, I was most likely able to raise my project at least two grades. This now also means that I have another hour free Monday mornings which I can spend working on Russia revision. WOO!

Definitely getting Mcdonald's next Monday to celebrate.

Spoiler:
    Show

As I was going to print it off, the blood printer broke in the library just as I started printing over 40 pages of work meaning I had to spend 10 minutes finding another printer to find that it had taken the credit and I didn't have enough to print it; luckily the librarian had seen it all and gave me a little more to make up for it.
    All printed, I spent the last 5 minutes trying to find my supervisor who was supposed to be teaching chemistry next and get to English on time. I had a minute left to explain everything to her and sprint over to English.
    But it is done, and if I have to do it again I am going to cry.

Lesson 1: English Literature, and we're going through each of the questions from the mocks for the next two weeks to essentially plan each answer and chat through possibilities to write in an answer.
    This lesson was the question I chose in the Hard Times and Atonement exam: Significance of Settings.
    Thursday's lesson is most likely going to be on the other question, which was about "Significant moments" in the two novels.

Lesson 2: History, and today we finished the questions in the booklet on Russification and started the final module on Khrushchev!!!! We're almost at the end of the module I am so happy!
    Our teacher set us an essay to complete for Thursday's lesson, about whether the Tsars treated nationalities more harshly than the Communists; TLR, generally yes. Because Alexander II was nice, but everyone else was quite mean.

... It needs some work, but I'll let you know what I get
    I also organised to meet up with my teacher tomorrow after break to talk through my Russia mock in more detail to see where I could improve.

After college!
    Given that I got an E on the mock paper for Russia, I felt it would be better to start going to the revision sessions held by the other history teacher (who was also the one who taught me last year). There was roughly 7 of us there, but the thing was;
    I learned more in an hour about essay structure for Russia than I have in nine months with my other teacher.
    Well at least I've solved why I'm not doing so well.

The session went through a quick knowledge quiz, and then spent the rest of the hour talking through an interpretation for what to put in an essay and how to word it. So now I don't think I'm going to get an E on the next one
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 3rd May:

Today was hard. Pretty simple. I don't think anyone wanted to do anything today, and most people I saw were either asleep or looking like they wanted to be.

Even still, today was much shorter than usual, as my resit lessons were focusing on the other AS paper, so I didn't have to go, and my dad finished work early, so I was home by 2 instead of 5!

Lessons 1 and 2: A2 Classics, and today we went over the First and Second Settlement again, before answering questions on Augustus' titles and positions before 10BC, and rebellions and uprisings etc.

It was really handy, and we got to do a kahoot quiz - which I came 3rd in, out of 15 people! Which with my A2 class never happens.

I am so proud of myself here, and I was 1 question behind winning - if only the wifi was faster then I might have come second!

With my two re-sit lessons essentially not needing me there, I was able to have a chat with my history teacher about my mocks. With me getting an E, he saw just how much I wanted to get a higher grade, so he arranged to talk me through the bits I got wrong, and to figure out structure.

I thought it would be a 20-minute meeting, like most of his chats are with people, but he was kind enough to spend an hour going through both mock papers in a ton of detail! And I definitely think it worked, as I now have some key tips to do better in mocks, and also reduce the great amount of information that I need to learn J

He's been kind enough to give me the questions from both mock papers, so I'm hoping to re-write some of the questions with this new help to see if I can get at least a C. I am so prepared for this right now, and man if I can do this, then

As well as this, we got onto the topic of the coursework, and being me I want to know. And him being him, he wasn't telling me, but from what he said, I definitely think I've got that A or A*. So mood is definitely in a good way today
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1493915668.519782.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  28.6 KB

A screenshot from the kahoot quiz yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1494011299.075341.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  79.3 KB

English literature notes on the romantic poetry work to improve our knowledge of coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Friday 5th May:

I can't believe I forgot to update on Star Wars Day! Ugh, ah well - I got a ton of work done, and that's pretty much the entirety of my day.

This one is a little later than usual, given that I had a horrific migraine that started halfway through English and until about half 7 - a good four to five hours, and the packed train didn't help (I'm frankly amazed I didn't pass out at all.) Which was why this is being posted Saturday instead of Friday J

Anyway, onto yesterday!

Lessons 1 and 2: Frees, as the resit lessons weren't on today, so I spent the time completing the Classics homework set (going over Suetonius and answering questions on certain themes) and having a rest for once. (One of my friends had actually skipped her lessons because she had a mild panic attack over some work and I spent some time making sure she was okay)

Lessons 3 and 4: A2 Classics, and this was mainly more revision, this time on the First and Second settlement again as well as building on other areas. we've been told that the revision lessons Wednesday are going to be on the building projects and then on anything we can think of before we move onto Tiberius and Claudius.

We were given a 20 mark question to complete for next lesson, but I have no idea what I'm doing; so I'm going to give it a go, but spend maybe a little more time on the past paper that I found.

Lesson 5: English literature, and we spent this hour going over the Romantic Poetry mocks, and tips to improve and get to a level 4 or B/A answer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just read through all what you've posted since I was last active! You look like you're on track for some great results! Good luck with the exams!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombre)
    Hey, I've just read through all what you've posted since I was last active! You look like you're on track for some great results! Good luck with the exams!
    Aww thanks so much! I definitely hope I'm on track; I'd hate all this work to go to waste
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1494259937.693496.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  70.0 KB

A photo of one page of poetry notes from this morning's revision session.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 8th May:

Happy Monday guys! 2 weeks until my first exam and I am suddenly feeling the pressure; I better start revising for my re-sit as there's no way I'm going to fail it a second time!

Lessons 1 and 2: Frees. With no EPQ sessions anymore (yay!) I had more time for revision and organised a revision session with a friend in the library where we both went through at least 5 of the modern poems in preparation for the assessment tomorrow afternoon; we're both planning to meet in the library tomorrow after break to continue the next 5.

Lesson 3: Another free, and with some time to myself (due to everyone else having lessons), I got some more writing completed, as well as organizing my notes and other notes. With a practice essay due this afternoon, I spent 20 minutes going over what I wrote for it and re-writing the conclusion as I felt it hadn't worked the first time. (I hope I getting better grades for this one - I'll say that 18/25 might even be the mark? The talk with my teacher Wednesday last week definitely helped with confidence)

Lesson 4: English Literature, and we went over the King Lear mock questions - mainly the second question which nobody in our year picked! It was quite interesting the way this lesson was approached - in a different way than usual - and focusing more on how to start the essay and the questions you should ask to do well. (I might add a revision thing on here, to help other people for revision!)

Lesson 5: History, and after going over the homework on Khrushchev's secret speech, and watched a 70 minute video about the relations between the USSR and Mao's China.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 9th May:
    Aka the day I am super fit and actually doing exercise!!!

Yeah, I'm as shocked as you are about that subheading. But I've fallen in love with the Just Dance games and seriously have too much fun playing it too

But back to this morning; I couldn't find my poetry anthology for the unseen question practice we have in lesson after lunch (which was bloody fantastic)

Lesson 1: I had a free, and given the fact I had checked around the entire college in 15 minutes for my book and not yet found it, I was planning to go into town and buy another one. I stopped off at Mcdonalds (opposite Waterstones) to grab some breakfast as I had one of the tokens that I needed to use up. It was sitting in Mcdonalds planning what I was going to do that my friend from English messaged me saying that she accidentally picked up my book!
    So instead of going straight back to college, I went for a walk; costa for a brownie (to eat in revision later), nipping into Waterstones anyway to see if they had any jobs open (nope) and then CEX to look for anymore Just Dance games... I came away with Lego Lord of the Rings.
    (Well that's revision screwed)
    But hey - I picked a good day to wear my Fitbit again!

Lesson 2: Another free, but given that I felt exhausted after that walk I tried to take it easy and watched a couple of Crash Course videos - as is the Tuesday tradition.

Lesson 3: Another free, but my revision buddy for English handed by poetry anthology back and we finished revising the last 5 poems in it! And just in time for the assessment after lunch

Lunch: A meeting was held to discuss the structure of student voice. I don't really think anything was really solved?

Lesson 4: English Literature assessment, and it was modern unseen poetry. I can't exactly remember the questions but I do remember that the unseen poem was called "Witnesses" and I compared "Chainsaw vs the pampas grass" with it on the theme of Gender roles. I'm not confident th essay was that good? But I think I did enough to avoid a U/E, so it's probably another D grade. (It ended up becoming something of a feminist rant halfway through...)

Lesson 5: History, and we built on the knowledge from yesterday, and began thinking about the economy of Khrushchev - which was essentially a lot of revision from the economy section. (It was also in this lesson that I found out that Revision was canceled for this evening and moved to Thursday due to a faculty meeting)

So I did the only natural thing to do;get a lift home early and play Just Dance for an hour before trying to do work...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1494353080.233573.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  38.3 KB

SPORTY MODE ACTIVATE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 10th May:

Today was much shorter than usual, and I spent most of today in some degree of discomfort - I think I pulled a muscle in my shoulder while playing Just Dance last night. Oh well.

Lessons 1 and 2: A2 Classics and today was the final revision session for Augustus, and the two hours focused on the Building projects. While I', not completely confident with some of the other aspects of the unit, the building projects I know like the back of my hand - which is great if I want an A (which is 60 marks out of 75 using the 2015 and 2016 boundaries)
    My classics teacher was kind enough to email over the 2016 papers for both this paper and the other one, which I am hoping to complete at some point in the next week and to hand in for my teacher to mark. Though I got B and A in the mock, I really want to improve and get an A in both - and of course in the real thing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (So Thursday wasn't the best day, and I'm going to leave it out of here; best to leave the mental breakdowns behind me and try to move on. Hopefully.)

And so:

Friday 12th May:

I was lucky enough to have a lie in this morning as my mum was working from home, so this morning wasn't as stressful as much as usual. It also meant that I was able to finish the classics 2016 past paper before I left the house I know it wasn't my best, but I feel it wasn't my worst either.

A2 Classics: This was the first revision sessions with Tiberius and Claudius, focusing on Tiberius in this double lesson. It began with sorting a timeline of main events in his life into order, and then sifting through Suetonius for his early life. It quickly moved away from this and turned into a doss lesson mixed in with revision.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 13th May:

So, considering it's eurovision I got no work done, went through an entire tub of ice cream, and celebrated a friend's birthday.

It was nice, giving my brain a rest for a bit.

but now Sunday means I have a ton to do...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 15th May:

Today was pretty lazy all things considered, which was a horrible decision because it's now a week until my AS Classics re-sit paper. I've planned to complete at least one past paper each day leading up to it; I've got to feel some sympathy for my classics teacher because I'm going to hand over so much stuff in the final two lessons this week... Might need to buy her chocolate as an apology.

Anyway, for today!

Typical lazier morning with me not getting into college at 9:30, and spent the morning completing the history homework questions set (and there was a lot so I didn't get anything else done in the morning.)

Lesson 1: English Literature, and we went over the other option from the Streetcar mock, which was about the presentation of Desire in the play. And honestly, though I didn't write about this question in the mock, I actually came up with some good ideas, and the plan that we created as a class using my initial idea would probably be an B to A grade essay I might complete it at some point, probably in half term?

Lesson 2: History, and today we got told that this was the last week of lessons for Khrushchev! We've got an assessment Monday next week before we go on to do a ton of revision for the exam on June 9th.

Funny moment of the day: Our revision area where we hang out is by the physics classroom, and there's a full wall of windows separating the two; so when they put on a physics kahoot for the first year students, a friend and I joined in. I haven't studied physics in 2 years and I came 7th out of 13 people. And I was second at some point.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 16th May:

A very lazy day today, with me catching the 12:07 train to get to college at half past 12; surely you'd take any opportunity to have a lie in? And it was a good thing I did too, as my other friends who I typically catch a lift with, missed the train today because the traffic from Birmingham was too intense for them to get there in time (it's because of Aston Expressway being closed)

Lunch: While I technically did have a meeting, I sort of hid and did revision for the English assessment after lunch Frankly, I had more fun doing this, and had a decent chat with people in my class I typically don't talk to.

Lesson 1: English literature assessment. This week's was on Hard Times and Atonement, as like the exam we had the full hour, as well as the choice between 2 questions:
    • Compare how the writers conclude their novels.
    • Compare the significance of education in both texts.

I chose the latter, and while I felt it started out strong, it could have been better? But I definitely feel I improved somewhat from the mock - those revision sessions in lesson have definitely helped! The structure is essentially perfected. Like last week, I should know on Thursday, so at least I'm not waiting that long

Lesson 2: History, and it's the last lesson actually learning content! I'm so excited to just get into revision for all subjects at last, and with 23 days until the exam, I need all the time I can get.
    Today's lesson was all about the reasoning for Khrushchev creating the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1961, and then we did a Crusades kahoot for the last 10 minutes as we had extra time. And I did rather well; I was winning for 90% of the quiz, but I put an incorrect answer on the last question and dropped to 5th. Ah well, I'm still proud I was on the leaderboard!

This evening I need to complete:
    • CIVIC Plays 2014 past paper.
    • Khrushchev interpretation question
    • Alexander II interpritation question
    • CIV3D 2016 20 and 40 mark question
    • CIV4D 2016 past paper

And any other essay I plan to complete for practice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 17th May:

I think today is the worst I've had in a while. From getting woken up a 4am, everything has gone downhill...

Lesson 1 and 2: Classics, but I was only in for 30 minutes out of the two hours, as I had a meeting from 9am to 10:30, which then caused both my teacher and friend (in that class) to moan at me for missing lesson. But I let her know that I wasn't going to be in lesson, and collected the work. I wasn't even allowed to grab food before I headed back up to lesson.
    The lesson itself was revision on Tiberius' relations with the Senate - with the class being given a choice of 2

After that, I just went home; I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to go home early, and got home just after midday. I have the plan to complete as many past papers and questions as possible in this extra time (as it's 1pm while writing this) as well as spending some more time on Just Dance (which I have already done; 45 minutes!)

EDITS:
    I managed to get the 5 and 10 mark questions complete for several classics papers, as well as spending a total of 2 hours on Just Dance.
    I also took time out of classics to revise for history using Kahoot (yes, playing on my own is pretty sad) but I apparently knew more than I believed I did, so that's reassuring. And it's shown areas I had no idea I needed to work harder revising, so that's good too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 18th May:

And after yesterday's dismal day, today was the best! I was in a great mood since I left the house, and had a lot of fun with friends on the drive to the train station And it was another short day! With no tutorial, I was able to finish at half 12

Lessons 1 and 2: History, and it was the final lessons of actually learning the content! It was all concerning the downfall of Khrushchev, which we finished in 45 minutes, which led us to cover the assessment we 'completed' for Monday (and which I am yet to hand it because I'm terrified of failing again)
    The last 25 minutes was taken up by kahoots, and out of the three we did (Khrushchev, Provisional Government, and Henry VII) I came (in order) 12th, 10th, and 1st! This is the first time I've actually won a kahoot in History, and I was jumping up and down like a hyper six-year-old.

Lesson 3: English Literature, and we spent the hour going over the questions from Tuesday's assessment (after being given back the papers)
    I got my first B of the year! It was the same mark as the paper I achieved in the mock, but apparently, it was more sophisticated writing style that pushed the grade up!
    Looks like the revision dedicated to writing styles has been paying off!
    I also found out that next week's after-college revision is on King Lear, which I'm intending to go to, as it's the text I feel the least confident on.

No homework was set in either lesson, but I've been planning to write some extra essays in the next week or so.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Friday 19th May:
    Three days left until the re-sit paper.

And yes, I am terrified for it. But I still think I've done better, even if a little. But today was a lot more relaxed than usual. Well, at least after I got to college. The walk there was trying, to say the least.

Lessons 1 and 2 (from 11:30): A2 Classics, and we continued revision on Tiberius' use of the Senate. The first hour was more research based using the books and primary sources - which I didn't do as I was still doing past papers for my re-sit at the back of the room. (I got them marked after the lesson and they were apparently halfway between C and B, so I'm already doing better than my D in June last year.
    We also did a kahoot, which I failed spectacularly at. Two of my friends who sat nearby were late to lesson so we ended up as a team, and they kept pressing the wrong answers so that I (named 'The Void') ended up one from last.
    The second hour was a debate around a previous paper's 40 mark question, with the class split into the 2 sections to argue for or against. I was in the 'for' section, but as I didn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing, and instead had an intellectual conversation with another of my friends about exams and her film studies course (which, I have decided, I am going to take if I have to be in Sixth Form another year).

Homework: Complete the sheet about how Tacitus and Suetonius display Tiberius and Claudius in certain ideals. For Wednesday's lesson.

Lesson 3: English Literature, and we spent the hour planning out what type of themes may come on the exam for Hard Times and Atonement, and for Streetcar. We didn't.t cover the poetry paper, as you can't plan what will come up, and King Lear we're revising a lot next week, so we're likely to cover that then.
    The list was extensive for both areas, with it taking up both sides of a page of A4 without any planning or embellishment. but there are about 20 question themes for each paper, which gives me a lot of potential practise essays to complete between now and June 15th/22nd depending on the paper.
    But given I got a B on my last essay, I'm confident I'm going to crush this.

At home, I did relax a little, but I was looking over the revision for Aristophanes and Athens - trying almost anything to get it to a B or an A (which I need more than the B to get it to an A overall)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.