Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Friday 19th May:
    Three days left until the re-sit paper.

And yes, I am terrified for it. But I still think I've done better, even if a little. But today was a lot more relaxed than usual. Well, at least after I got to college. The walk there was trying, to say the least.

Lessons 1 and 2 (from 11:30): A2 Classics, and we continued revision on Tiberius' use of the Senate. The first hour was more research based using the books and primary sources - which I didn't do as I was still doing past papers for my re-sit at the back of the room. (I got them marked after the lesson and they were apparently halfway between C and B, so I'm already doing better than my D in June last year.
    We also did a kahoot, which I failed spectacularly at. Two of my friends who sat nearby were late to lesson so we ended up as a team, and they kept pressing the wrong answers so that I (named 'The Void' ended up one from last.
    The second hour was a debate around a previous paper's 40 mark question, with the class split into the 2 sections to argue for or against. I was in the 'for' section, but as I didn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing, and instead had an intellectual conversation with another of my friends about exams and her film studies course (which, I have decided, I am going to take if I have to be in Sixth Form another year).

Homework: Complete the sheet about how Tacitus and Suetonius display Tiberius and Claudius in certain ideals. For Wednesday's lesson.

Lesson 3: English Literature, and we spent the hour planning out what type of themes may come on the exam for Hard Times and Atonement, and for Streetcar. We didn't.t cover the poetry paper, as you can't plan what will come up, and King Lear we're revising a lot next week, so we're likely to cover that then.
    The list was extensive for both areas, with it taking up both sides of a page of A4 without any planning or embellishment. but there are about 20 question themes for each paper, which gives me a lot of potential practise essays to complete between now and June 15th/22nd depending on the paper.
    But given I got a B on my last essay, I'm confident I'm going to crush this.

At home, I did relax a little, but I was looking over the revision for Aristophanes and Athens - trying almost anything to get it to a B or an A (which I need more than the B to get it to an A overall)
    GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR RESIT! You will do amazing. Just remember half of the battle is in your mind - go in to that exam hall knowing that all you need is in your head and you are half way there. Xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstiah_h)
    GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR RESIT! You will do amazing. Just remember half of the battle is in your mind - go in to that exam hall knowing that all you need is in your head and you are half way there. Xx
    Ahhhh! Thank you
    I'll try and keep that in mind - I've figured out that I need an A on this paper to get the grade I want overall, so a little bit of pressure(!)

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on tomorrow's Aristophanes exam?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrederickP98)
    Any thoughts on tomorrow's Aristophanes exam?
    Um? I'm hoping that Peace comes up, it wasn't on the paper last year, so I'm hoping that of the Acharnians are going to be on the paper.
    As for the 30 mark question, I doubt it'll be just on the chorus or why Peace won second (and it deserved it)
    I'm hoping that the 30 mark question is going to be on the dislike of Cleon, or something to do with the re-use of material. Those questions haven't been on papers for a while.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st May:
    The final weekend before my re-sit, and boy the panic has set in.

I woke up late both days because other factors meant I didn't get to sleep as early as I wanted. While I did feel like that extra sleep was helpful, I didn't really start revision before midday on Saturday.

Sunday? I organised with a friend to go to hers and revise as much as possible... Which failed horribly. She was not in the mood to revise, so after a couple rounds of kahoot, she went off to do something on Tumblr while I attempted to complete some past papers. My classics teacher was kind enough to offer any additional help over the weekend, notably marking any past questions that I complete. I emailed a couple over Sunday morning and have not heard back (which is fully understandable)

Stress level: 10/10
    And it doesn't help that a friend in my history decides to be a butt and remind me I have an assessment in history last thing, and it's an interpretation question. Which I have a history of not being able to complete very well. (as in, I've not hit my target grade all year)

I still have a few hours left, so I've been going over the themes coming up in 30 mark questions, and re-reading the plays as much as possible. I think cramming and reminding myself of what's going on in what order is what's best now. I might even see if there's any podcasts that I can listen to overnight.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st May:
    The final weekend before my re-sit, and boy the panic has set in.

I woke up late both days because other factors meant I didn't get to sleep as early as I wanted. While I did feel like that extra sleep was helpful, I didn't really start revision before midday on Saturday.

Sunday? I organised with a friend to go to hers and revise as much as possible... Which failed horribly. She was not in the mood to revise, so after a couple rounds of kahoot, she went off to do something on Tumblr while I attempted to complete some past papers. My classics teacher was kind enough to offer any additional help over the weekend, notably marking any past questions that I complete. I emailed a couple over Sunday morning and have not heard back (which is fully understandable)

Stress level: 10/10
    And it doesn't help that a friend in my history decides to be a butt and remind me I have an assessment in history last thing, and it's an interpretation question. Which I have a history of not being able to complete very well. (as in, I've not hit my target grade all year)

I still have a few hours left, so I've been going over the themes coming up in 30 mark questions, and re-reading the plays as much as possible. I think cramming and reminding myself of what's going on in what order is what's best now. I might even see if there's any podcasts that I can listen to overnight.
    Good luck with your resit

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the exam? I really enjoyed it, I did the tragic playwright question and dikaiopolis and trygaeus question. They were nice question
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the exam? I really enjoyed it, I did the tragic playwright question and dikaiopolis and trygaeus question. They were nice question
    I thought it was quite a nice paper actually! So much nicer than the one last year.
    Both sections had nice 5-mark questions, which I answered writing their answers in the question paper before I decided which Section A I was going to answer: I picked the Acharnians question, as I felt there was more to say between Dikaiopolis and Trygaeus than whatever the Knights question was.

30 mark questions were okay? I thought they could have been nicer, but I was not expecting two 30 markers on 2 plays each. Typically there's only one, if one at all.

I take it we did the same questions - most of the people I talked to afterwards did the Knights section and the playwrights 30 mark question.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think we did! Hopefully the results will be good 😀
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think we did! Hopefully the results will be good 😀
    I hope so!
    A couple of my friends were wondering if the exam board would lower the boundaries from last year's because it's the last year the course is modular?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 23rd May:
    Or renamed, the day that was difficult.

It wasn't difficult in the sense of education, it was more trying on a physical level. Even though I went to bed quite late last night I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I did in the end, but it was such a pain.
    Then the heat hasn't helped, given that I overheat stupidly quickly, so I've had to spend most of today indoors and pacing myself when walking outside. It worked well, considering my two lessons were both in the afternoon.

Lunch, and the free beforehand was spent revising, with a couple of us beginning with a few History kahoots, which after 45 minutes descended into an all-out competition on a range of topics (but I won the general knowledge kahoot that was almost 90 questions!)

Lesson 1: King Lear, and we walked through Edmund's soliloquy in Act 1 scene 2, using the assessment objectives (writer's methods, context, and the critical anthology) to have some higher level analysis that could be used in a variety of essays such as power and justice.
    We also went through the possible themes for questions that might be asked, with a couple of these potentially being extra essays I will write in my own time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad to hear that the exam went well!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 24th May:

To think that 2 months ago I was in the Bay of Naples, and yet the weather has not changed. I don't like it. Where's my glorious thunderstorms?!

Lesson 1 and 2: A2 Classics - or I suppose my only classics lessons now! The first hour was covering the homework on Tiberius and Claudius' use of the Praetorian guard, and then working on interpretations given by the historians of the two emperors themselves. I really didn't concentrate this morning, and I don't think most of the class did either; nobody was really awake, and the heat from outside was horrible. And then we couldn't open the windows and ugh... It was one of those days when I wanted to try my best, but also take a nap.

But it's my only lesson on Wednesday, so I at least tried.

The second hour was a surprise assessment, based on the work completed in the first hour. It was a 10 and 20 mark question around the idea that Tiberius deserved his negative reputation. I think I did as best as I could, but it's not my best work. (I still prefer the Claudius questions in the exam)

After lesson, I was really craving a subway, so I spent half an hour (a new record!) walking into town and buying one. I picked the wrong day though, as it was the market day and everywhere was packed! I somehow managed to maneuver through the crowds without much difficulty and made it back to college within 35 minutes, half my normal time. That is astounding.
    I paid for it though; I spent the next 2 hours drenched in sweat as I can't take the heat very well. But it was worth it. The walk meant I met three of my 5 goals on my fitbit (I'll post a screenshot underneath this post)

The next two hours I spent revising as much as I could, but I was exhausted so I instead put some Crash Course videos on and listened to them while I played some games on my phone. I learn more through audio, so I felt I was more productive than trying to force myself to read a textbook or something.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    And as promised, the screenshot of my Fitbit stats from Wednesday...
    Name:  fitbit 24 may.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  38.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    And as promised, the screenshot of my Fitbit stats from Wednesday...
    Name:  fitbit 24 may.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  38.3 KB
    Jeeeezzz you are one active person. I actually can't wait to get back to my running when exams are finished ((or at least when I get some extra time from study leave))
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstiah_h)
    Jeeeezzz you are one active person. I actually can't wait to get back to my running when exams are finished ((or at least when I get some extra time from study leave))
    ... That's the first time anyone has called me active!
    I'm generally a person who loves a sit-down, but if it consists of food or a new book, then I'm willing to walk for it. (Although I am getting into Just Dance, so I am getting more active - just not when it's 30 degrees outside!)
    And you do running?! I was considering going to parkruns at my local park more regularly (if the heat holds up)

ReputationRep:
    ... That's the first time anyone has called me active!
    I'm generally a person who loves a sit-down, but if it consists of food or a new book, then I'm willing to walk for it. (Although I am getting into Just Dance, so I am getting more active - just not when it's 30 degrees outside!)
    And you do running?! I was considering going to parkruns at my local park more regularly (if the heat holds up)
    Yeah honestly running is so great. I find it really clears my mind and seeing yourself progress to run further distances is so satisfying
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 25th May:

Just a short update for today- I think this constant heat is frying my brain. I can't seem to concentrate for as long as I usual can.

Lessons 1 and 2: History, and we covered more plans for Russia essay questions, focusing more on repression and economics this lesson. We also got back the essays we completed on Monday, and I have got my first pass essay all year! I managed 21 out of 30 on the interpretation that most people failed. I started crying when I got the result back.
    Surely I'm doing something right now, and let's just hope this continues to the exam, or even increases the mark!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 27th May:

The first day of half term, and with a surprise visit from relatives I didn't get as much done - but it was to talk to them as I haven't seen them in months.

Today I wrote a full response to a 25 mark essay that was planning during history this week, and I'm intended to complete a couple more before my exam (You can start feeling sympathy for my teachers now; there's going to be like 5 to mark on the Monday back)

I also created a plan as to what style of essays I want to write in my own time before each subject, and each topic exam; obviously half term is going to be mainly history, but I've also added in some Classics, Tudor, and King Lear essays as they're the next papers after the Russia exam on the 9th.

It's really starting to set in now, that the exams are in less than 2 weeks, and I am terrified. I've only hit one target grade in history this year, and that was this week; I'm hoping the next few are able to, because the work I've been putting in has definitely been reflecting it. And if I don't get that A, I don't know what I'll do? (maybe it'll give me more time to focus on my olympic dreams, but university may help as well.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sunday 28th to Wednesday 31st May:

... Wow, I cannot believe I haven't updated in so long.
    But anyway!
    Since Saturday, I've not done as much work as I felt I should have done. I've only completed two essays for Russia, when I thought I'd had these completed and then some for King Lear and Augustus. But I've been doing a lot of quizlet questions and kahoots, so that must mean something.

I'm also going to blame my lack of motivation for this. I don't know why but for the last couple of days I've not found it in me to keep working, and have instead hid from my work by reading the Handmaid's Tale (Did anyone watch episode 1 on Sunday? I'd love to talk to someone about it)

This morning caused a panic because one of my friends was caught in a car accident this morning; he's fine, no injuries besides a dented door. Apparently, his granddad who was teaching him made some snarky comment and that what when he realized? Ah well, he's okay and that's all that really matters?

But I've got 9 days until my first exam, and I'm not starting to really panic. A friend and I are attempting to make a revision guide for Russia like we had for the Tudors and Crusades, which I'm hoping to get some decent revision from. I'd also like to achieve some more essay practise in this time, just so I have some idea how I'm going to do in the real exam. I don't really want to re-sit this paper, and I think that I'm working with my fear of failure at this point, whereas it was working from spite last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.