Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A little note here,
    but in a month after I get my archery equipment (a month until I can start training properly for the 2024 Olympics!) I'm considering making a YouTube channel to keep me accountable and mark my journey, as well as some other things.

Does anyone think this is a good idea? I personally would love something to do in the 12 months before university, and this was the first thing that came to mind.

Thoughts?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could say that I've done more work than I actually have, but it's perhaps the worst week for me to get sick.
    I'm typically ill around this time of year, and I can't focus, talk or breathe properly. And I was going to take part in the local park run tomorrow (because it's their 200th) ah well.
    I've not completed any practice essays since last Saturday, so instead I have been listening to videos and documentaries on YouTube - it's still something... Even if I am disappointed in myself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Monday 5th June:

The first day back at college was long. I was in from 8:30 and didn't leave until 4:00 - a good hour and a half that I am typically in college. It's because I was giving lifts to a friend of mine who had an exam at 9am this morning, and there was no point lying in when they had to leave at that time anyway.

It was good, I got a lot done actually. The first half an hour was rough, my brain was still hoping to be back in bed but once everyone starting arriving at college in droves then I gradually woke up. Another couple of friends came and sat with me while the exam took place, and we played a few dozen games of kahoot - with some games having over 50 questions! I did rather well, and it was revision well spent. For all of us; we all took part in kahoots in subjects we weren't taking and it was a lot of fun - definitely reminded me why I didn't take further maths!

The lesson before lunch everyone else had a lesson timetabled, so I was on my own. Putting on a documentary in the background, I got to work revising for history on Friday - Four days I am genuinely terrified. I got to organise several plans for 25 mark essays and I'm hoping that in my frees tomorrow that I'll actually write one or two in full to get marked.

English Literature after lunch was far more quiet than usual, as most of the class was in a geography exam at the same time. Most people in the lesson were instead sitting with headphones in working on their own - the silence of which sucked as I need some background noise as well as some music to work efficiently. The lesson was set up like that as, in the words of my teacher, she "has nothing else to teach [us]" and is letting us revise how we will before the King Lear and Streetcar exam on June 15th.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 6th June:

Today has been a more quiet day; I had a lie in for once, but my flu was so bad I could walk downstairs without getting horribly out of breath, so I took the decision to stay home.

I think that did both help and hinder my revision. I saved two hours travelling between home and college, but my concentration wasn't what it could have been.

But I was able to complete two 25 mark essays for Russian History, and I'm hoping my history will be kind enough to mark them by Thursday's lesson - or at least give me some feedback on them. I am seriously panicking over these essays, and I'm not really in the mood to resit papers (as I keep finding myself saying)

I was also able to watch some more documentaries and YouTube videos on other papers that I'm taking this year - with a couple on the Crusades as well as revision techniques and tips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    A little note here,
    but in a month after I get my archery equipment (a month until I can start training properly for the 2024 Olympics!) I'm considering making a YouTube channel to keep me accountable and mark my journey, as well as some other things.

Does anyone think this is a good idea? I personally would love something to do in the 12 months before university, and this was the first thing that came to mind.

Thoughts?
    Wow!! gosh sorry this is such a late reply, but I would love to see that! Training for the olympics is so cool!

great progress by the way. don't worry about your flu hindering the revision, I find if you get stressed things get a lot worse and you take a lot longer to get better so just focus on doing the little bits of work here and there and recovering x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 7th June:

Today has been quite revision heavy, while also being long. A friend of mine was in the exam at 9am (I think it was physics?) so I was in college a good hour earlier than I needed to be. And then I was in another two hours longer for the Russia revision.

Classics today was quiet. The media exam this morning meant that 1/3 of the class were missing, and the others that were missing took the double lesson off to revise for their psychology exam in the afternoon; all in all, there was 5 of us in there.

It was fun, if I'm being honest. No more classics assessments in lesson, and we went through a lot of Claudius and the Senate. It was a more relaxed atmosphere than usual, and I think it helped me a lot more than stressing over an assessment that I hate.

No homework was set, but instead, our teacher asked us what we wanted to do in the last two double lessons before both classics exams.

(It was at this point I really wished for a break, but I soldiered on. My friend in AS classics sent me a photo about 10 minutes into the lesson to show me that while we had to do work, they got to watch Hercules. I was tempted to jump into their lesson, but I managed to restrain myself)

In the frees, I completed two Russia essays, which I handed into my teacher at the beginning of the revision session; he was teaching the second hour and was kind enough to mark them before he taught it (the fastest I've ever seen him mark essays if I'm being honest!)

Both hours were focusing on the structure of essays, rather than the content. Which I found a lot more helpful. With about 15 of sitting around a group of tables, we all planned different thematic essays, before moving on to work around an interpretation question. I had to leave slightly earlier to make my train, but it was only five minutes, and I found the entire situation so much more helpful than going home earlier like I was intending to.

I'm definitely going to the revision session tomorrow night

From the revision session, I've taken the idea that I need to write more specific detail in the essays (such as specific examples as to why X caused Y, or to show that one ruler was similar to another. My teacher suggested smaller statistics to slot in somewhere). I'm also going to add in some more revision for content on the Provisional Government; as the interpretation question that we attempted was on this, and I struggled more than I thought at finding information to support my argument.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Friday 9th June:

Damn, I forgot to save the update from yesterday. Ah well, I can summarise it pretty quickly:
    • A ton of revision for history - the revision session was entertaining even if even if there was only 6 of us there.
    • I voted! For the first time!
    • A big mental breakdown at 9pm over the Russia paper.

And that was it, with a few tales and kahoots added in.

And now to today!

It was the Russia exam this morning.
    Two and a half hours of pain and suffering. okay, maybe it wasn't that bad. I was hoping that Khrushchev was going to be the interpretation question, but it turned out to be on the downfall of the Provisional Government... which I got an E on in the mock exam. But! I know I didn't make some of the same mistakes and incorporated some of the techniques I'd learned since then into my answer. I'm definite it's over 15 marks, but I doubt it's over 20.

The two essays I completed were on the war's influence on the economy, and then the nature of government. Both of which I was thankful for! I'm just grateful that there wasn't two on nationalities, so now I've definitely not failed this. So all in all, a success.

I cried going into the exam, and felt emotionally drained walking out. But I think I got 20(ish) on the interpretation, and then roughly 17 on both essays - what I think is going to be around a B. Which is the minimum for what I need.

Straight after the exam was our classics lesson - which technically began half an hour before we were out of the exam, and out of the 12 people, only two were not sitting history. And our lesson basically had no revision completed. We walked in, after a break to grab a snack, to someone drawing historical figures as dragons on the board. This was then followed by a half an hour discussion about the paper - while also attempting to do work - which didn't happen.
    The second hour was essentially the same, with us playing a 100 question kahoot (Which I came 2nd in) and then hangman for the rest of the hour. It was a lot of fun and I seriously enjoyed it more than usual. And this was all while trying to revise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 14th June:

To be honest, I've not responded much because revision since Saturday has been:
    • Crying
    • More Crying
    • mental breakdowns
    • The oncoming sense of failure.

And with the King Lear and Streetcar exam tomorrow it's likely to continue tonight.

Today was the final lesson for Classics (as both papers are being held between the lessons that would have been held) - which is terrifying in itself. But the revision held today in a half-empty classroom was welcomed. The prompting from our teacher about topics from both papers revealed that I knew more than I felt that I did, and I am just hoping those topics turn up on the paper, as I feel that is what will get me an A on both!

No Kahoot today, but instead I found myself doing a lot more in a lot less time than I'd anticipated.

So I treated myself. A friend wanted a trip into town for lunch, so I decided to go with her - I needed the extra exercise after all. And we had an hour walking around town and grabbing food (I chose Subway as a healthy alternative to her Mcdonalds - I am serious about this Olympics thing, so the diet should work)

I was physically exhausted when I returned - the heat was getting to me by this point - so I had a moment to cool down before the pair of us continued Literature revision. We did brief quotes that we'd use for certain themes for both plays on the exam, and possible links to Context or to critics; it was reassuring - mostly as I felt as if I knew less about King Lear that I actually did (in comparison to what I was coming out with during that revision session)

THis evening is going to be a redux for all the drama paper revision, finding key areas and themes in the plays that could be used in most or all questions, but also held points for all assessment objectives.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  19198151_1601205423225049_1367475475_n.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  39.4 KB

Today's fitbit reading up to 6pm

... Honestly I am amazed I'd walked so far!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 15th June:

And with that I don't need to study King Lear or Streetcar anymore!!!!

Boy was I lucky to go to that revision session last night, as the major focus on critics and themes around madness really helped when that was the question option in the exam!

For both plays, I didn't feel 100% confident going into the exam, and neither did I feel 100% writing it or coming out. I feel like I waffled too much with the critics in King Lear, and stayed way too close to the question in Streetcar.

But I think I have passed. That's the main thing. I have passed this paper. Whether it's a C or B I don't know, but I'm thinking that it's as close to the B boundary as possible. And I couldn't be prouder of myself.

I'll probably write a bit later, but I've got a lot of revision with Tudors and Augustus papers tomorrow.

Exams complete: 3 of 9
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Friday 16th June:

Tudors AND Augustus papers today!

Today was such a good day - even if it consisted of early starts and heavy revision and exams.

To be on time for the Tudors paper this morning I had to get the train half an hour earlier than usual. Which was difficult considering a lone buzzy fly was flying amok in my bedroom to wake me up at random times during the night - I didn't get a good 2 hours consecutive sleep last night. But I still haven't fallen sleep yet (and it's 8pm)

9am, and the Tudor exam was a gift. The Henry VII question on his foreign policy cheered me up so much I started crying in the gym (and got some pretty concerned stares). The motivation from that helped to tackle the sources on Mary (and what kind of a source is a 'poetic autobiography' anyway?! What information was Thuckbrough supposed to be telling us?!

Ah well, I think I did alright. Talking to some people on TSR didn't help, and kind of ruined my mood if I'm being honest. I've been buzzing all day with joy, and reading how they wrote their essays slightly different to mine has now made me concerned for lower marks? I'm hoping the slight changes won't hold against me too harshly. I am aiming for 40 out of 50 after all.

10:30, and immediately threw myself into revising for Classics - the Augustan Rome than afternoon at 1:30.

Although looking back on the paper, I don't think I needed to?

The topics that came up had strong building works questions as both a section A and section B option - meaning that I was able to write for 75 marks on the topic I know the best! I felt like jumping up and down when I opened the paper.

The section A option of the Ara Pacis was a gift (as I know it best out of Prima Porta and Forum of Augustus) although I wasn't counting on this year being the year that AQA add in the image of the Aeneas (which I have just realise I spelled wrong throughout my entire exam oh dear god) as it was quite obscure and had never appeared on a paper until today.

But overall, I was okay, but thinking back over the papers have since made me freak out (see above bit of Aeneas - anyone know if they'll dock many marks if I've spelled it the same all the way through the exam?)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 20th June:

you know how I said after the classics exam that I was confident coming out? Well that didn't happen today.

The Tiberius and Claudius paper was horrendous. I'll be amazed if I get any marks on the 5 or 10 mark questions. They were shocking. And I'm not alone; Twitter has so many people complaining about their papers, and frankly, I walked out of the exam hall wanting to cry and scream at AQA.

But I can't. One exam board has potentially stopped my A - maybe even the B grade - and I need to begin revising for the Crusades paper tomorrow morning. It's an hour and 15% of my history exam. But it's either hit or miss with the exam topics - the first and third I can do, but the other two I am more than likely to fail.

Oh god, this week is already horrendous. And I have another 2 days to deal with...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd June:

I'm not even going to try and defend myself at this point, but right now I hate everything.

Wednesday was a day of two halves. The Crusades exam was a gift and for that hour I was almost confident that I had passed it - and probably even got my A grade requirement

And everyone who took History had a group photo straight after (I look slightly terrible but I was not aware we were having a photo taken, so I couldn't care less)

But after that finished at 10:15 I was free until Thursday morning for the Hard Times and Atonement exam. I was aiming to go home for 2, but with the heat it was difficult to stay outside for long without feeling faint? And the fact I almost got stung by a bee during lunch was certainly not helping.

But 2pm came and went, and so did 3 - and by half 2 I was at the train station frantically calling to find my lift; an hour and a half later and I finally got picked up. It was not fun and I was at the point of crying when I was picked up.

No revision got done that afternoon/evening as I couldn't focus and was falling asleep where I sat. I tried but I physically had no energy to do it.

And then there was today (Thursday)

Let's just brush past the Prose exam, and deal with the aftermath.

1 hour of feeling completely stupid and positively certain that I am going to fail English Literature later, and I forced myself out of the gym, grabbed my stuff and looked for somewhere quiet to cry my eyes out.

That paper was horrible and after hearing everyone talk about what they wrote, it's clear I didn't write anything on the same lines. So yeah, I'm screwed.

Goodbye B-grade. Goodbye university.

Luckily my mum picked me up around half 11, and we went to grab some lunch, but I still don't feel like I'm going to pass anymore. It was the same after the Tiberius and Claudius paper on Tuesday...

Edexcel why?!

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd June:

I'm not even going to try and defend myself at this point, but right now I hate everything.

Wednesday was a day of two halves. The Crusades exam was a gift and for that hour I was almost confident that I had passed it - and probably even got my A grade requirement

And everyone who took History had a group photo straight after (I look slightly terrible but I was not aware we were having a photo taken, so I couldn't care less)

But after that finished at 10:15 I was free until Thursday morning for the Hard Times and Atonement exam. I was aiming to go home for 2, but with the heat it was difficult to stay outside for long without feeling faint? And the fact I almost got stung by a bee during lunch was certainly not helping.

But 2pm came and went, and so did 3 - and by half 2 I was at the train station frantically calling to find my lift; an hour and a half later and I finally got picked up. It was not fun and I was at the point of crying when I was picked up.

No revision got done that afternoon/evening as I couldn't focus and was falling asleep where I sat. I tried but I physically had no energy to do it.

And then there was today (Thursday)

Let's just brush past the Prose exam, and deal with the aftermath.

1 hour of feeling completely stupid and positively certain that I am going to fail English Literature later, and I forced myself out of the gym, grabbed my stuff and looked for somewhere quiet to cry my eyes out.

That paper was horrible and after hearing everyone talk about what they wrote, it's clear I didn't write anything on the same lines. So yeah, I'm screwed.

Goodbye B-grade. Goodbye university.

Luckily my mum picked me up around half 11, and we went to grab some lunch, but I still don't feel like I'm going to pass anymore. It was the same after the Tiberius and Claudius paper on Tuesday...

Edexcel why?!
    I don't do any of your subjects but exams boards are a pain in the ass, I feel you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday 27th June:

And with two days until my final exam (and I can't believe it's so late!) I have been struggling to find the motivation to revise for the poetry.

And it's pretty concerning how close it is! I've tried over the last two days revising by myself at home but nothing seems to be working... I don't think that my injury from the Race for Life on Sunday turning my attention away.

I just don't know what to do?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 29th June:

And with that, I am finally done with my A level exams!

The poetry paper went so much better than I thought - I didn't burst into tears like I did after the Prose paper last week, so that's always a good sign. But I did have moments where my brain was making me double guess essentially everything I wrote down in my answers, so I'm less confident that I hoped I was going to be.

But I've done enough to pass and possibly avoid a D; whether I achieve a C or B is to be seen.

I also had a major panic when I realised about half way through my exam that I had actually written the wrong candidate number on my paper - and now I'm worried I did the same in the prose paper (I double checked all the others)

But yeah! I'm done!

Tomorrow I need to go into college to sign out officially, and then I won't see the building until results day!!!! (well I lied, I'm helping out at the open days Monday and Tuesday)

And Saturday I'm getting my archery equipment! So I am super excited!

Tagging misstiah_h - I am recording the first video this weekend; it's going to be a combination of my introduction and getting the bow!

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 29th June:

And with that, I am finally done with my A level exams!

The poetry paper went so much better than I thought - I didn't burst into tears like I did after the Prose paper last week, so that's always a good sign. But I did have moments where my brain was making me double guess essentially everything I wrote down in my answers, so I'm less confident that I hoped I was going to be.

But I've done enough to pass and possibly avoid a D; whether I achieve a C or B is to be seen.

I also had a major panic when I realised about half way through my exam that I had actually written the wrong candidate number on my paper - and now I'm worried I did the same in the prose paper (I double checked all the others)

But yeah! I'm done!

Tomorrow I need to go into college to sign out officially, and then I won't see the building until results day!!!! (well I lied, I'm helping out at the open days Monday and Tuesday)

And Saturday I'm getting my archery equipment! So I am super excited!

Tagging misstiah_h - I am recording the first video this weekend; it's going to be a combination of my introduction and getting the bow!
    Don't worry about English, it's definitely the subject that has people questioning themselves the most and I'm sure you will surprise yourself and get a great grade!

ALSO YOU HAVE FINISHED A LEVELS! WELL DONE, I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! How're you planning on celebrating??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombre)
    Don't worry about English, it's definitely the subject that has people questioning themselves the most and I'm sure you will surprise yourself and get a great grade!

ALSO YOU HAVE FINISHED A LEVELS! WELL DONE, I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! How're you planning on celebrating??
    Ahhh! Thanks so much!
    I usually end up that way after an English exam so I'm hoping it works out like usual. Plus I had a chat with one of the other teachers who reassured me in saying what I chose to write about was a valid way of answering the question

As for celebrating? I don't really know. This year seems so anti-climatic than what I was expecting; no major celebrations and everything was generally "You've finished so what are you still doing here?" at college. We signed out officially from College earlier, so I'm celebrating by spending a lot longer in bed in the mornings.
    There were some events organised by the college; my english class went out to a cafe after the exam for drinks and there was a leavers party held by college this afternoon, but I was exhausted and just wanted to go home by that point. Plus I'm not someone who finds drinking and partying 'fun' so I wasn't really going to go anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    I've joined in with the Summer Bucket List competition, which is what I'm more likely to update than here (though I'll try to!)

If you want to check it out it's here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4822052

(It also has a photo of me shooting my bow for the first time!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A LEVEL RESULTS

So I didn't get the AAAB I was hoping for - I got ABCC instead:
    • A - History
    • B - English Literature
    • C - Classics
    • C - EPQ

(It's rather funny; they're they same grades I got at AS, in the same subjects)

Yeah I am rather annoyed I didn't get A* in history, but one of my papers (the Tudors) was 42/50, which was an A*.

My resit paper for classics had no change, which is annoying me to no end. But I got an A on my Augustus paper, so at least there's some kindness there.

And do I need to mention English?! After the prose exam I thought I was done for. And I maintained the B!!!!

I got into Kings College London, not to do War Studies but History starting September 2018, so now I have a year to sort myself out

Submit reply
Updated: September 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.