Turn on thread page Beta

Legal Advice For Ollie's Site For Beer Money! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not getting divorced or something just a little bit of advice if possible from anyone who knows what they are talking about (or thinks they might be able to help).

www.bandlogos.co.uk

The images are not mine. Most of them were found on the internet and I've edited or resized them. Now, can I have them up there for people to download over wap without getting sued?!

The way I see it is that I pay them a slice of how much I charge for each one. Ie. nothing.

I make money from the adverts.

Before I make it better and promote it a bit, I need to know that I'm not going to get sued.

Thanks guys. Rep of course on offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    No I'm not getting divorced or something just a little bit of advice if possible from anyone who knows what they are talking about (or thinks they might be able to help).

www.bandlogos.co.uk

The images are not mine. Most of them were found on the internet and I've edited or resized them. Now, can I have them up there for people to download over wap without getting sued?!

The way I see it is that I pay them a slice of how much I charge for each one. Ie. nothing.

I make money from the adverts.

Before I make it better and promote it a bit, I need to know that I'm not going to get sued.

Thanks guys. Rep of course on offer.
    Do the sites you took the images on carry a copyright?

Checkout http://www.fplc.edu/tfield/copynet.htm It deals with US laws, but the boundaries of copyrite are fuzzy when it comes to the world wide web

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure you are not allowed to have images on your website which belong to others without their permission, even if copyright isn't noted - the (c) sign followed by a name is more of a reminder than a legal requirement, and also to show who owns the copyright. However in reality it is unlikely that anyone will care, and if they do the worst that I could envisage happening to you would be that you receive an email telling you to remove the image.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I am pretty sure you are not allowed to have images on your website which belong to others without their permission, even if copyright isn't noted - the (c) sign followed by a name is more of a reminder than a legal requirement, and also to show who owns the copyright. However in reality it is unlikely that anyone will care, and if they do the worst that I could envisage happening to you would be that you receive an email telling you to remove the image.
    yeah, most images on the internet are not originals or payed for surely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if you just say something along the lines of "the images are not mine, I have gathered them from the internet, but I have been unable to contact the original owners with respect to copyright. If you spot an image on here that is yours, and do not wish it to be on this website, then please contact me on >insert some sort of email address or something< and I will happily remove the image." It seems to work for other websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    They are either being used with the permission of whoever owns the copyright of the picture, or they are being used illegally. However the illegal use of images on the internet is very widespread, and a blind eye is usually turned to it. Since you are not charging and are willing to take images off if anyone objects, you will not come to any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    no, but you should ask for permission from whoever does actually own them, if only out of courtesy. if you just send an email to the webmasters of the websites you took the images from, asking if you can use them, you would be in a much better position - legally its not a huge issue really, as you arent making money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    no, but you should ask for permission from whoever does actually own them, if only out of courtesy. if you just send an email to the webmasters of the websites you took the images from, asking if you can use them, you would be in a much better position - legally its not a huge issue really, as you arent making money
    yeah not from the images themselves, its the adverts.

bloody hell, theres loads.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt people will sue you over a jpg? :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure a disclaimer like the one Fleff suggested will be enough.

ReputationRep:
    We have been told that this a gray area however everybody does it. Simply offer disclaimer saying that you will remove the images if somebody claims they own the copyright and you should be ok.

Its only when you're talking about major sites run by big companies its a big legal no no.

I think you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks guys

now i just need to work out how to promote it, ideally for free!

ReputationRep:
    You could advertise the content in your sig instead of just the ads. Webrings are also usefull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    I doubt people will sue you over a jpg? :P
    You've not heard of the silly intellectual property cases you hear in the USA no? Don't forget if you find a particular way to stroke your dog when you go the USA, don't forget to get it patented

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether you have control over the ads or whether Google imputs them all, but if you can fiddle with them, could you make it so the advert link opens to a new window? I'm suggesting this because presumably the more clicks you get the more beer you earn (*raises brow*), and, certainly for me, it's easier just to click on them all at once and get rid of them or whatever, rather than being 'detatched' from your homepage and then having to go back and click another one and so on. *shrugs* That might annoy some people though I suppose *squints*.

Well, just a suggestion.

On the main topic of the thread, although I can't really claim any expertise in the area of Law, I would assume the copyrights to all the images you currently have, belong to the bands/record companies, as they're all official logos. If you got them off obscure websites or shopping sites I daresay they can't do anything about it so it's only the actual owners of the copyrights that would give you trouble, and I doubt they'd pay much heed of you unless you started earning millions from your site! As you're not actually charging anyone for the images themselves, and are only gaining money from ads then I highly doubt anyone's going to cause you any trouble.
    Blah, the above was pretty unneccessary garble considering it didn't say anything new...ah well.

Two questions. 1- are you going to actually make any images yourself?
    2- how many clicks earn you a beer? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I'm not sure whether you have control over the ads or whether Google imputs them all, but if you can fiddle with them, could you make it so the advert link opens to a new window? I'm suggesting this because presumably the more clicks you get the more beer you earn (*raises brow*), and, certainly for me, it's easier just to click on them all at once and get rid of them or whatever, rather than being 'detatched' from your homepage and then having to go back and click another one and so on. *shrugs* That might annoy some people though I suppose *squints*.

Well, just a suggestion.

On the main topic of the thread, although I can't really claim any expertise in the area of Law, I would assume the copyrights to all the images you currently have, belong to the bands/record companies, as they're all official logos. If you got them off obscure websites or shopping sites I daresay they can't do anything about it so it's only the actual owners of the copyrights that would give you trouble, and I doubt they'd pay much heed of you unless you started earning millions from your site! As you're not actually charging anyone for the images themselves, and are only gaining money from ads then I highly doubt anyone's going to cause you any trouble.
    Blah, the above was pretty unneccessary garble considering it didn't say anything new...ah well.

Two questions. 1- are you going to actually make any images yourself?
    2- how many clicks earn you a beer? :P
    Hey, thanks for the response.

1. no, all the images are souced , then resized and maybe slightly edited.
    2. not sure, around 10 maybe.

Unfortunatly the google people get pretty pissed if you start fiddling with their html although it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Ollie, dude, if you like punk and ska, you ROCK!

Your the first person on UKL who like the same type of music as me, if you do that is.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.