Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently I am looking to apply to be a warden for the halls of residence at my university. You get free accommodation for the whole year and and it would look dang good on a CV. I haven't applied quite yet, as there's an information session later this evening that I'm going to attend, but I'm basically nervous of going....6 hours before the event. In fairness though, I also have an exam in 2 hours though.

Basically I was hoping someone could give me a tip to relax or at least look confident, as they aren't going to want someone who gets nervous easily, considering the duties I will be performing and the students I will be responsible for. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm capable of filling the shoes, but my hands are shaking when tying the laces, I get anxious easily with people I don't know.

I'm going to be having a drink or two, no more than two, before I go just to easy myself a little; and brush my teeth immediately afterwards, of course. I'm going to introduce myself to whomever sits next to me in the session (as it's going to be in a sofa setting in a common room, not a lecture room type thing) and I'm going to go out of my way to spread my body posture a little to look comfortable.

Do you have any other suggestions? I would genuinely love to hear them, and thanks in advance.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    Currently I am looking to apply to be a warden for the halls of residence at my university. You get free accommodation for the whole year and and it would look dang good on a CV. I haven't applied quite yet, as there's an information session later this evening that I'm going to attend, but I'm basically nervous of going....6 hours before the event. In fairness though, I also have an exam in 2 hours though.

Basically I was hoping someone could give me a tip to relax or at least look confident, as they aren't going to want someone who gets nervous easily, considering the duties I will be performing and the students I will be responsible for. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm capable of filling the shoes, but my hands are shaking when tying the laces, I get anxious easily with people I don't know.

I'm going to be having a drink or two, no more than two, before I go just to easy myself a little; and brush my teeth immediately afterwards, of course. I'm going to introduce myself to whomever sits next to me in the session (as it's going to be in a sofa setting in a common room, not a lecture room type thing) and I'm going to go out of my way to spread my body posture a little to look comfortable.

Do you have any other suggestions? I would genuinely love to hear them, and thanks in advance.
    Going into the room and immediately introducing your self and having a chat is a fantastic idea - you'll look confident and that in itself will bring you confidence.

I'd suggest do some deep breathing before you begin - in for four and out for 6 - taking a longer exhale relaxes you and let's your body know your safe. It's a similar rhythm to smoking which is why smokers always say smoking chills them out.

Don't drink - you wouldn't go for a beer before a job interview would you? I wouldn't employ you if I suspected you'd had a drink, I just don't that that's responsible and you'll be in a position of responsibility.

You're likely to feel nervous if you feel prepared. Have you thought through answers to the possible questions?

Why do you want to do this role?

How can you support freshers?

If x, y and z happened, talk me through how you'd manage this.

Give me an example of when you've successfully managed conflict and how did you do this?

How will you ensure that students in the accommodation know that you're their RA? How will you communicate with them?

How will you escalate any serious issues to the university?

How will you ensure that you are trained up and ready to support new students when they arrive and what steps will you take to do this?

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    If you get anxious with people you don't know then why would you want a job that involves babysitting 100s of freshers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Going into the room and immediately introducing your self and having a chat is a fantastic idea - you'll look confident and that in itself will bring you confidence.

I'd suggest do some deep breathing before you begin - in for four and out for 6 - taking a longer exhale relaxes you and let's your body know your safe. It's a similar rhythm to smoking which is why smokers always say smoking chills them out.

Don't drink - you wouldn't go for a beer before a job interview would you? I wouldn't employ you if I suspected you'd had a drink, I just don't that that's responsible and you'll be in a position of responsibility.

You're likely to feel nervous if you feel prepared. Have you thought through answers to the possible questions?

Why do you want to do this role?

How can you support freshers?

If x, y and z happened, talk me through how you'd manage this.

Give me an example of when you've successfully managed conflict and how did you do this?

How will you ensure that students in the accommodation know that you're their RA? How will you communicate with them?

How will you escalate any serious issues to the university?

How will you ensure that you are trained up and ready to support new students when they arrive and what steps will you take to do this?

Hope this helps
    You're right, being responsible to improve my first impression for a job where they need responsibility would show how unsuited I am. I'll do the deep breathing technique, thank you for that It's not really an interview sort of session, but I should definitely prepare a few answers just in case I have a small chat with current wardens who are there.

(Original post by Helloworld_95)
    If you get anxious with people you don't know then why would you want a job that involves babysitting 100s of freshers?
    It's more that I get nervous with people who are going to have an impact on what I do, like a first impression to the people who might accept or reject my application for wardenship. I'm comfortable addressing strangers normally, same with helping freshers. I'm a committee member on two societies, with one of them requiring helping and meeting freshers all the time. I've also done presentations to groups of over 50 people (in one case with 4 professional judges) without breaking a sweat, but I'd really love this job as it would help me out immensely and boost my confidence some more, hence my nerves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.