Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm trying to understand e.m.f. with cells and wondered if the following diagrams are correct or not:

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  78.5 KB

Do the voltages just add or subtract together to give a resultant voltage as I've drawn?

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Malc)
    Hi all,

I'm trying to understand e.m.f. with cells and wondered if the following diagrams are correct or not:

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  78.5 KB

Do the voltages just add or subtract together to give a resultant voltage as I've drawn?

Thanks for any help.
    yeah - though I'd draw it a bit differently

Name:  kvl1901.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  7.7 KB
    FWIW this shows Kirchoffs Voltage law - that the sum of all pd's around a loop is zero.

you can decide to say clockwise is negative and go around the loop adding up
    +9
    equals 0 (you could equally validly pick any any start/end point or order)

and obviously you'd get the same result if you decided clockwise was positive.

it's useful if you know some of the pd's in a loop - because the unknown pds have to add up with the known pds to give a total of zero around the loop.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

Is the second circuit diagram basically how a battery charger works? You have a bigger voltage reversing the current flow to charge the smaller battery?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

Is the second circuit diagram basically how a battery charger works? You have a bigger voltage reversing the current flow to charge the smaller battery?
    Well the basic idea there is to force charge back into the battery you're recharging with a reverse current... seeing opposing batteries doesn't imply one of the batteries is getting charged though, it might not be a rechargable type in which case it's just passing current and getting hot.

ReputationRep:
    So in this exam question: Name:  Battery charger.png
Views: 26
Size:  31.9 KB

The X point would attach to the positive terminal of the battery and the Y to the negative terminal. Thus producing a 'backwards' flow through the battery.

ReputationRep:
    So in this exam question: Name:  Battery charger.png
Views: 26
Size:  31.9 KB

The X point would attach to the positive terminal of the battery and the Y to the negative terminal. Thus producing a 'backwards' flow through the battery.
    yeah
    so if you're jump starting a car you put the leads +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.