Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I currently possess a BSc in Genetics and work in medical publishing. I moved back home recently after living and working in France and have decided to pursue a career change into Biology teaching.

    I have a place to study a PGDipEd in Secondary Biology at University of Birmingham commencing in September of 2017. I will be moving out again to undertake this course.
    I am eligible for a tax free bursary due to my degree classification but I wanted to know am I still OK to apply for a tuition fee and maintenance loan on top of that to supplement course and living costs?

    Will I be assessed as an independent student being 25, living at home and being financially independent?


    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi WillJ1991

    Please see the following website: http://bit.ly/2awrLwz

    If you are eligible for it, you do not need to apply for this bursary. If you are enrolled on a non salaried Postgraduate course & meet the eligibility criteria, you will begin to receive payments automatically by your chosen Teacher Training Provider. You will receive information on the arrangements & how this will be paid to them prior to the start of their course.
    As long as your course is eligible, full-time and you don't hold Qualified Teacher Status, you can apply for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan.

“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.