Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im studying at uni now, first year student, and I have been offered an apprenticeship. no one knows about this apart from me, so whats my next step? I applied after a bad day at uni, spur of the moment thing. live away from home at the moment. thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So now you decide whether you want to take the apprenticeship or stay at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesc9)
    im studying at uni now, first year student, and I have been offered an apprenticeship. no one knows about this apart from me, so whats my next step? I applied after a bad day at uni, spur of the moment thing. live away from home at the moment. thanks
    As Tubbz said you need to weigh up the pros and cons of both. Generally they go as follows:

Apprenticeship
    Pros
    -Earn and Learn
    -Gain experience
    -If its a degree apprenticehip you have been offered then you get the degree without the debt.

Cons
    - Wage typically low unless its one of the bigger companies e.g. Jaguar Land Rover, usually not enough to even rent a room on.
    -Apprenticeships can be of mixed quality- the bigger companies seem to offer the better thought out programes, sometimes the smaller ones take on an apprentice either as cheap labour e.g. in retail, or they don't think about what the apprentice will actually do. Generally the better apprenticeships seem to be in engineering and accountancy.
    -Potentially less sociable than uni, you might find your the only young person there
    -A lot less freedom during the day than uni, early starts every morning (may be a pro for you though)

Uni
    Pros
    -Theoretically studying a studying a subject you are passionate about for 3 or 4 years
    -Very social
    -Whole range of societies and sports clubs, this bit is unique to unis
    -Most courses offer a a lot or at least a bit more freedom and flexibility over the day than you would get in a job. I do miss chilling out in the uni pub in the middle of the day and grabbing a tea/coffee whenever I felt like it.
    -You get all of the above plus long holidays to gain experience.

Cons
    -Not guarenteed a job after uni
    -Not everyone likes the lack of structure
    -The debt, although this is paid back like a tax when you are earning a certain amount, so shouldn't be your only reason for quitting.
    -Could be long 3 years if you find you don't like your subject or your fed up of theoretical education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.