Turn on thread page Beta

How do I refer to the DSM and ICD in my psychology work? watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 13.58.04.png
Views: 45
Size:  241.9 KB

LenniesRabbit

I really don't know how to relate this to the ICD and DSM, I've done a bit.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just to note, the new DSM (5) doesn't have axis anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Just to note, the new DSM (5) doesn't have axis anymore.
    Oo. Thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Oo. Thank you.
    What are you exactly stuck with? You seem to have covered it quite well.

ReputationRep:
    What are you exactly stuck with? You seem to have covered it quite well.
    Well in my brief it reads that I have to refer to the ICD and DSM in my work, i don't know, have I done that enough? It's AS level stuff.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok, well briefly, the DSM & ICD focus on maladaptiveness as the basis of psychopathology - a joining of dysfunction definition & personal distress definition. But I think you've covered enough for AS.

Maybe use one disorder as an example of how the DSM & ICD define psychopathology?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well briefly, the DSM & ICD focus on maladaptiveness as the basis of psychopathology - a joining of dysfunction definition & personal distress definition. But I think you've covered enough for AS.

Maybe use one disorder as an example of how the DSM & ICD define psychopathology?
    Oh that's great to hear!

How would I go about doing that?
    Like the sort of steps a mental health professional would follow to define/classify using ICD and DSM?

I've pretty much had to teach myself this stuff because my teacher is absolutely useless.

Would you say it's organised properly? It's a 2 sided poster

Oh, I should probably mention the purpose of the poster is to explain the problems classifying and defining abnormality

ReputationRep:

I just saw on your profile you're applying for PhD in psychology! I really got lucky having you reply to my thread!!

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    I just saw on your profile you're applying for PhD in psychology! I really got lucky having you reply to my thread!!

Pick a disorder, say depression. See how the ICD & DSM (also how they defer) refer to the different definitions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2017

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.