Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Bristol? Only 20% of the overall score is on UKCAT.
    Bristol is so PS heavy plus I phoned them and apparently they consider resitters at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    returnmigrant - surely that must be only for those with mitigating circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    Resits are allowed of modules..not of full A-Levels.
    well there are linear a levels now I called up the unis im applying to and they allow full resits ( most however want AAb first time around eg hyms)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    returnmigrant - surely that must be only for those with mitigating circumstances?
    Bristol accepts resits in both GCSEs and A levels etc - one resit per subject. You would not be at any disadvantage.
    Ext Circs don't figure at all in 'allowing' resits unless it is more than the 'one resit per subject' standard.

Here is the link to the Admissions Statement which covers all of this - and far more openly than many other Med Schools :http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...8/medicine.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JanitaTwain)
    Bristol is so PS heavy plus I phoned them and apparently they consider resitters at a disadvantage.
    Suggest you email Bristol and get this in writing - you clearly misheard.

ReputationRep:
    I had AABB, B in biology and chemistry, biology was 1 ums off an A , applying to UEA, Liverpool and Lancaster, and maybe Exeter? exeter is risky though as they want really high predictions, at least 2A* and my teachers are only prepared to predict me A*AA so I'm unsure. Bristol accept resits but you can only retake 1 module from each subject you are retaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 543216789)
    I had AABB, B in biology and chemistry, biology was 1 ums off an A , applying to UEA, Liverpool and Lancaster, and maybe Exeter? exeter is risky though as they want really high predictions, at least 2A* and my teachers are only prepared to predict me A*AA so I'm unsure. Bristol accept resits but you can only retake 1 module from each subject you are retaking.
    Does that mean, given the new a-level reforms, bristol does not accept retaking biology or chemistry? Because you have to retake all the papers now, since there are no modules anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resitmedic123)
    Does that mean, given the new a-level reforms, bristol does not accept retaking biology or chemistry? Because you have to retake all the papers now, since there are no modules anymore.
    they still accept retakes i emailed admissions and they said as long as you only resit once then its fine nothing about individual modules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hashman)
    they still accept retakes i emailed admissions and they said as long as you only resit once then its fine nothing about individual modules
    I emailed them too! I live in north Wales though and we still have a modular system so maybe its just for the modular system? this is the email they sent me:

Thank you for your email and interest in study at the University of Bristol.

The resit policy for Medicine states that we allow students one resit of each of their A-Level and/or GCSE modules if required.

Under the resit policy, students are not permitted to take more than one year to resit a subject as this would mean their overall grade would change more than once.

For more information about our resit policy, please refer to the department’s admissions statement.

If you have adhered to the above policy and apply with predicted or achieved GCSE and/or A-Level grades that meet the entry requirements, we will consider your application.

I hope this has clarified the situation but if you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes
    Claire Powell

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I thought. There was also a paragraph in an admissions statement:

1.9 Resits

Applicants are expected to take three A-levels in one two-year sitting. However, we will consider applicants who are completing resits of GCSEs and/or A-levels (or equivalent level 3 qualifications). A maximum of one resit is allowed in any one subject.

We will only make an exception to this where there are mitigating personal circumstances (see 2.11 Extenuating Circumstances below); the decision to allow an exception will be made at the discretion of the University.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...8/medicine.pdf

where it sounds like you can only resit one module in one subject only?
    I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it wrong....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop786)
    Thats what I thought. There was also a paragraph in an admissions statement:

1.9 Resits

Applicants are expected to take three A-levels in one two-year sitting. However, we will consider applicants who are completing resits of GCSEs and/or A-levels (or equivalent level 3 qualifications). A maximum of one resit is allowed in any one subject.

We will only make an exception to this where there are mitigating personal circumstances (see 2.11 Extenuating Circumstances below); the decision to allow an exception will be made at the discretion of the University.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...8/medicine.pdf

where it sounds like you can only resit one module in one subject only?
    I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it wrong....
    I called them earlier and they clarified saying that you are allowed to retake the new reformed a-levels, like all three biology papers. But what they don't allow is for you to take an additional year to resit the same a-levels you have already re-sat, meaning you take 4 whole years to do your a-levels. This is all also without extenuating circumstances.

Although I would call again to double check.

ReputationRep:
    I called them earlier and they clarified saying that you are allowed to retake the new reformed a-levels, like all three biology papers. But what they don't allow is for you to take an additional year to resit the same a-levels you have already re-sat, meaning you take 4 whole years to do your a-levels. This is all also without extenuating circumstances.

Although I would call again to double check.
    OK Thanks. I wish they made it clearer on the website because to me it sounds like they only except you to resit one subject as well. And then within the one subject, one module. idek it's so confusing

ReputationRep:
    Hey im applying to bsms too head over to our whatsapp chat to discuss 2018 entry. PM me your numbers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.