Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been recently diagnosed with Anxiety and panic disorder, and its been affecting my attendance and performance with my Uni Course. I've been to the doctors to get a doctors note and will be giving it to the student well being center for them to put support in place.

This semester hasn't started yet but i'm worried about some of the courseworks that are in place. One involves a group presentation, which I understand a lot of people struggle with, but me especially. There is also a mandatory trip at the end of the year that counts towards 50% of our grade, and I have other health problems that may act up during the week long trip, which makes me apprehensive and reluctant to go.

Was just wondering if anyone else at Uni experienced the same thing and was able to get alternative work / assignments instead?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imee96)
    Hi, I've been recently diagnosed with Anxiety and panic disorder, and its been affecting my attendance and performance with my Uni Course. I've been to the doctors to get a doctors note and will be giving it to the student well being center for them to put support in place.

This semester hasn't started yet but i'm worried about some of the courseworks that are in place. One involves a group presentation, which I understand a lot of people struggle with, but me especially. There is also a mandatory trip at the end of the year that counts towards 50% of our grade, and I have other health problems that may act up during the week long trip, which makes me apprehensive and reluctant to go.

Was just wondering if anyone else at Uni experienced the same thing and was able to get alternative work / assignments instead?
    It really depends on the uni but they have to make suitable adjustments for those with disabilities, and that includes MH stuff. It varies a lot how far they'll go but hopefully yours are good. Do you have a tutor or anyone you can talk to about this, and what's going on for you in general? Student support too- they'll know less about your specific course and requirements but will have a lot of experience in helping people with similar difficulties and making things easier for them. For example, the group presentation they could arrange for you to do it in a smaller group or with people you know, or only to a smaller group of people.

The trip I'm less sure but I can't imagine you're the only one worried about how they can do it, be it for financial, health or any other reason, so I'm sure they should be able to come up with something you can do instead for at least part of it. Maybe you could do a similar study for somewhere closer to home, or get experiment results or whatever they're doing sent to you and you do the assignment from that. It's worth talking to them about anyway- if you don't ask you don't get! Be as open as possible and see what can be worked out. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.