Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sick and tired of having no friends Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its been this way ever since I left secondary school and I had to drop out of my previous university because of it. People always seem to avoid me and not want to talk to me for some reason. I have become more and more antisocial over time and its gotten to the point where I'm literally desperate for friends. I don't want to have to go through the three years of university without having any friends. Someone please help?

ReputationRep:
    Go and mingle, if you want friends that badly you are going to have to talk. They probably aren't avoiding you and because you've fallen out of 'practise' making friends since secondary you notice the gap more.
    My advice: mingle and don't overthink it. I'm sure there are like minded people out there you just have to look for them. In a class maybe approach someone and talk about the subject. You can do it- it's not impossible, even if you're shy and mostly anti-social! (like me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sawniku)
    Its been this way ever since I left secondary school and I had to drop out of my previous university because of it. People always seem to avoid me and not want to talk to me for some reason. I have become more and more antisocial over time and its gotten to the point where I'm literally desperate for friends. I don't want to have to go through the three years of university without having any friends. Someone please help?
    You should put yourself out there and join societies in order to interact with more people. When you meet people for the first time are you shy or relatively outgoing ? Sometimes we can portray and anti-image which may make people afraid to interact with you. Are you an international student by any chance?
    In your lecture just go and sit with someone who you think you'll get on well with and strike up some convo, be confident!!
    I'm sure you'll make friends in no time 😊

ReputationRep:
    People probably aren't avoiding you... If you want something then take the initiative on your self to make it happen otherwise nothing will happen (unless you're something like a hot girl where guys will come up to you in certain situations).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Just keep meeting people and join social clubs out of uni if you need to, join clubs, societies, voluntary activities.

introduce yourself and talk to people about the course at lectures, tutorials.

To help you in general with meeting people:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller lol.

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you, you?

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about the weather etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, interested, relaxed, open to people.

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.