Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

Currently doing joint work on a forum and there's one poster who's simply doing my head in!!!

I'm older and should be less moody about these things, but the way they keep talking about themselves is driving me insane!

Their approach to the needs and attidudes of others makes me quite cross - almost undermining anything else others have to say, whilst constantly overtalking and stretching uneccessary points to boost their own profile.

Joined a couple of weeks ago to express this, then realised I was being childish. But I just need to get it off my chest.

After half a century on this earth, I feel qualifited enough to state thate academia isn't everything (says the person doing an OU degree!!). People matter too and this person's attitude toward others bothers me. A lot.

Do you suffer anything similar? How do you deal with it when you've got to work collaboratively?

ReputationRep:
    you have to accept that the online world is a magnet for the inadequate and otherwise challenged folk. with strong moderation the negative effects of these tiresome people can be minimised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HairyPotter)
    Hello All,

Currently doing joint work on a forum and there's one poster who's simply doing my head in!!!

I'm older and should be less moody about these things, but the way they keep talking about themselves is driving me insane!

Their approach to the needs and attidudes of others makes me quite cross - almost undermining anything else others have to say, whilst constantly overtalking and stretching uneccessary points to boost their own profile.

Joined a couple of weeks ago to express this, then realised I was being childish. But I just need to get it off my chest.

After half a century on this earth, I feel qualifited enough to state thate academia isn't everything (says the person doing an OU degree!!). People matter too and this person's attitude toward others bothers me. A lot.

Do you suffer anything similar? How do you deal with it when you've got to work collaboratively?
    Now you simply can't post something as tempting and elusive as this without giving at least a clue as to who you're talking about. Or even going so far as to naming him/her overtly. Not only is this even more frustrating than that about which you are complaining; it's also somewhat unfair on whoever it is when they (inevitably) recognize him/herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Now you simply can't post something as tempting and elusive as this without giving at least a clue as to who you're talking about. Or even going so far as to naming him/her overtly. Not only is this even more frustrating than that about which you are complaining; it's also somewhat unfair on whoever it is when they (inevitably) recognize him/herself.
    Yes, I did. And no I shan't be naming the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you have to accept that the online world is a magnet for the inadequate and otherwise challenged folk. with strong moderation the negative effects of these tiresome people can be minimised.
    Thank you for that. It's a new world for me - I'm still using the telephone and actually meeting people face to face.

This is our second collaboration and I've noticed that nobody else from the previous work has interacted with anything ''troll'' has posted, leaving them to inflict their views upon a new, unsuspecting audience, who have been sucked into the craziness of it all.

I really appreciate your comment and will enforce my own moderation by steering well away from them. Too time draining.
    • Very Important Poster

Yes, I did. And no I shan't be naming the person.
    Well you can give a few more clues as to what it is you find annoying. There are plenty of trolls in TSR as well as plenty of irksome people, Tbf some of them have limited experience as you would expect on a student forum, some have quite extreme views, which is a bit depressing. I'm surprised you found only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Well you can give a few more clues as to what it is you find annoying. There are plenty of trolls in TSR as well as plenty of irksome people, Tbf some of them have limited experience as you would expect on a student forum, some have quite extreme views, which is a bit depressing. I'm surprised you found only one.
    It's outside of this forum. I'm doing an OU degree.

What is so irritiating is the way the person keeps sidetracking the work at hand by raising their own ''important findings'' or issues and how they aren't terribly kind about the opinions of others.

Actually, I'm the problem. In the name of fairness I've taken their online scheming to heart. Probably sounding a bit daft with it all tbh - the person is probably very lonely, with no family or friends to speak of and ''bigging themselves up'' on the OU forum is more than likely some sort self-validating exercise for them.

Can't tolerate how this person manipulates others for their own devices, having taken over a whole thread which essentially is all about their ego. As we're being monitored, there's no way to warn other people about it. I guess over the course of time they'll learn.

Yes - I'm sounding quite pathetic now. But feeling better for finally getting it off my chest!!
    • Very Important Poster

What is so irritiating is the way the person keeps sidetracking the work at hand by raising their own ''important findings'' or issues and how they aren't terribly kind about the opinions of others.

Actually, I'm the problem. In the name of fairness I've taken their online scheming to heart. Probably sounding a bit daft with it all tbh - the person is probably very lonely, with no family or friends to speak of and ''bigging themselves up'' on the OU forum is more than likely some sort self-validating exercise for them.

Can't tolerate how this person manipulates others for their own devices, having taken over a whole thread which essentially is all about their ego. As we're being monitored, there's no way to warn other people about it. I guess over the course of time they'll learn.

Yes - I'm sounding quite pathetic now. But feeling better for finally getting it off my chest!!

Sorry wasnt paying full attention. let me think. So let me get this straight- work forum where you are collaborating, but someone is pushing their own agenda?

1. Theres nothing to stop you bypassing and being in contact with other students outside the forum. You could even create your own.

2.You can point out theres a plan, keep in mind the objectives for everyone and hen focus on thise.

3. Its up to you how much you wnat to engage to get him to change his behaviour- de railing and being irrelevant, especially when its collaboration, doesnt move you any further forward. Its non productive.

4. At your age Id have thought you would have been used to teams and power struggles. If its montiored be the constructive one, ignore or get him back on track. If he annoys too much then you cna point out his behaviour isnt helping and that others have a right to voice their opinion. Soemtimes its natural for people to be blunt, but you have to take into account your other members, if they are shy or not confident v someone who can debate with the best of them.

5. TLDR: get your priorities right and focus in the work and what you as a student need to do. If its montoired then his contribution or non contribution will be seen. be supportive of other students if you feel the need, they will appreciate it and he will be shown as obstructive. If the group starts to ignore him and sticks to task , then you cna effectively cut him out. I'm imagining that some of you are quite new to studying and a bit apprehensive, although I assume youve all done access courses? Personally I wouldnt analyse them in the way you have, no need to make excuses, just consider whether they are contributing to the task or making it more difficult. Focus on the task and ignore him otherwise etc. That would be my strategy. Lifes too short. You dont need to be his social worker.

ReputationRep:
    Hairy potter tho 😂😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Sorry wasnt paying full attention. let me think. So let me get this straight- work forum where you are collaborating, but someone is pushing their own agenda?

1. Theres nothing to stop you bypassing and being in contact with other students outside the forum. You could even create your own.

2.You can point out theres a plan, keep in mind the objectives for everyone and hen focus on thise.

3. Its up to you how much you wnat to engage to get him to change his behaviour- de railing and being irrelevant, especially when its collaboration, doesnt move you any further forward. Its non productive.

4. At your age Id have thought you would have been used to teams and power struggles. If its montiored be the constructive one, ignore or get him back on track. If he annoys too much then you cna point out his behaviour isnt helping and that others have a right to voice their opinion. Soemtimes its natural for people to be blunt, but you have to take into account your other members, if they are shy or not confident v someone who can debate with the best of them.

5. TLDR: get your priorities right and focus in the work and what you as a student need to do. If its montoired then his contribution or non contribution will be seen. be supportive of other students if you feel the need, they will appreciate it and he will be shown as obstructive. If the group starts to ignore him and sticks to task , then you cna effectively cut him out. I'm imagining that some of you are quite new to studying and a bit apprehensive, although I assume youve all done access courses? Personally I wouldnt analyse them in the way you have, no need to make excuses, just consider whether they are contributing to the task or making it more difficult. Focus on the task and ignore him otherwise etc. That would be my strategy. Lifes too short. You dont need to be his social worker.
    I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond as you have. This is precisely the advice I needed to hear. I'm feeling a little shy on our OU forum myself though did try to tackle one of trolls unhelpful comments. However, as for them it's about ego, there's no compromise, understanding nor reason to be gained.

Time is short between assignments and I've seen others use up hours and hours on wasteful off topic matters whilst trying to get their point across.

It's futule, the person's a bully using what I can only call ''grooming techniques''. Going to step aside and pay it no more heed.

A thousand ''Thank yous''. I'm not the brightest of folk, so need to use my time wisely!
    • Very Important Poster

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond as you have. This is precisely the advice I needed to hear. I'm feeling a little shy on our OU forum myself though did try to tackle one of trolls unhelpful comments. However, as for them it's about ego, there's no compromise, understanding nor reason to be gained.

Time is short between assignments and I've seen others use up hours and hours on wasteful off topic matters whilst trying to get their point across.

It's futule, the person's a bully using what I can only call ''grooming techniques''. Going to step aside and pay it no more heed.

A thousand ''Thank yous''. I'm not the brightest of folk, so need to use my time wisely!
    NP. I'm not quite sure how it works, but lest say its a workgroup and you are asked to collaborate and share ideas.

1. Identify what the key areas are and use those as the agenda.
    2. Only talk about those key areas.
    3. If he comes in ad tries to control or divert, tell him you cna discuss them after, but you want to get the most impirtnat issues deal with first.
    4. If he takes over then cut him out and address your comments to other group members or start an offboard dialogue with them. That would mean he can ahve the forum and if the people feel as you do, then you can get the work done without the annoyance.
    5. Just remember you need to be focused and selfish. keep asking yourself what is my task, what are the issues and is what im doing moving me closer to them. That should stop you wasting time.
    6. its about what is productive and efficient for you and your friends. You arent obligedn to indulge or respond to this person. You arent his therapist, thats why you should be a bit bemused and then just cut out all the irrelevant wasteful effort. he cnat talk to him self aboyt that stuff. he will soon fin other group members wont listen. Please dont understimate yourself or your contribution. Just do things smarter and stick up for your interests. After the course you need never see this person again. Hope that hasnt confused you, but its important for you to get the correct mindset ratehr than letting yourself get wound up by it.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

If they are bullying anyone (not just you) or "not constructive" or offensive then simply ask the admin to warn (or ban) them. On most forums (e.g. TSR) you can report posts that don't comply with the rules.

If it's less "obvious" than that then you might just have to live with it...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: We all know who this really is.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    :rolleyes: We all know who this really is.
    I don't think they could manage an OU course.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I don't think they could manage an OU course.
    :rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    NP. I'm not quite sure how it works, but lest say its a workgroup and you are asked to collaborate and share ideas.

1. Identify what the key areas are and use those as the agenda.
    2. Only talk about those key areas.
    3. If he comes in ad tries to control or divert, tell him you cna discuss them after, but you want to get the most impirtnat issues deal with first.
    4. If he takes over then cut him out and address your comments to other group members or start an offboard dialogue with them. That would mean he can ahve the forum and if the people feel as you do, then you can get the work done without the annoyance.
    5. Just remember you need to be focused and selfish. keep asking yourself what is my task, what are the issues and is what im doing moving me closer to them. That should stop you wasting time.
    6. its about what is productive and efficient for you and your friends. You arent obligedn to indulge or respond to this person. You arent his therapist, thats why you should be a bit bemused and then just cut out all the irrelevant wasteful effort. he cnat talk to him self aboyt that stuff. he will soon fin other group members wont listen. Please dont understimate yourself or your contribution. Just do things smarter and stick up for your interests. After the course you need never see this person again. Hope that hasnt confused you, but its important for you to get the correct mindset ratehr than letting yourself get wound up by it.
    Thanks so much. This is ultra helpful. Often finding myself sidetracked enough without leaking time on the OU forum.

Going to print out your key advice and use it liberally to remain on track.

Genuinely grateful for all the positive responses on this post. I don't feel quite so daft for getting strung out now and it's seemingly not that unusual judging by some of your comments!

Having looked over the forum, it's patently obvious that everyone from previous collaboration has avoided the troll. In an effort for justice I poked my nose in but have learned my lesson. The people ring-fenced by troll this time around will doubtlessly learn theirs, having been instructed to find him and make contact at the next day school to discuss his "special project".

Fly, you fools!!

THANKS AGAIN. Hugely appreciative of everyone's help.

😁😁😁😁

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.