The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Moatside?

here is a picture of a street in durham, the arrow points to the hogshead pub, so does that mean that one of the nearby buildings is the infamous moatside? (i heard it was opposite the hogshead)

:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You see the brick arch, just to the right of the Hogshead pub with a small oval metal plaque?

That arch doubles as enterance to Moatside and deliveries for the pub. The oval plaque reads "Moatside Court"
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
dave134
That arch doubles as enterance to Moatside and deliveries for the pub. The oval plaque reads "Moatside Court"

nice..... are they student rooms above the plaque?
Reply 3
Zeitgeist
nice..... are they student rooms above the plaque?

I presume so, but don't know for certain.
Reply 4
dave134
I presume so, but don't know for certain.

joyous, seems like a good location though, next door to the pub! bit noisy i hear though.
Reply 5
It doesn't look quite as bad as I'd imagined it to be, after all the "complaints" about it. Or is this the good part? And of course; one shouldn't judge from the outside... :biggrin:
Reply 6
It looks worse on the other side of the arch, thats just the front for the civilised people in the street. :frown:
Reply 7
Valen
It looks worse on the other side of the arch, thats just the front for the civilised people in the street. :frown:

oh... right..... [sob, sniff]
Reply 8
yeah, that figures :frown:
Reply 9
:frown: Were all so depressed about that, you never know, we might not get moatside!
Reply 10
Valen
:frown: Were all so depressed about that, you never know, we might not get moatside!

lol, "getting in" to moatside makes it sound very prestigious, not the actual sack of crap it is rumored to be!

plus, i bet im put there :frown:
Reply 11
Zeitgeist
lol, "getting in" to moatside makes it sound very prestigious, not the actual sack of crap it is rumored to be!

plus, i bet im put there :frown:

Poor you, im planning on being put in the castle in a single room! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Valen
Poor you, im planning on being put in the castle in a single room! :biggrin:

oh i have hope...... but that aint enough!
Reply 13
Zeitgeist
oh i have hope...... but that aint enough!

Your right, it also requires a substantial cash donation.
Reply 14
As I sdaid before i saw 2 moatside rooms, and they were small, but the outside was nice, and they had a kitchen!
Reply 15
can some one please unconfuddle me... is 1st year single room accomidation 'generally' only avalible in moatside and owen gate??

and once these allusive accomidation forms turn up.. should i be well advised to go for owen gate before moatside.. or do i risk the chance that moatside has been done up over the summer??

oh decisions decisions! xpx
Reply 16
Pippa
can some one please unconfuddle me... is 1st year single room accomidation 'generally' only avalible in moatside and owen gate??

and once these allusive accomidation forms turn up.. should i be well advised to go for owen gate before moatside.. or do i risk the chance that moatside has been done up over the summer??

oh decisions decisions! xpx

There is also Bailey Court. The rooms are slightly larger than moatside and you are in a quieter area, i.e. just off palace green rather than just behind a pub. They also have internet connections, but they may have installed them in moatside by now.
Reply 17
dave134
There is also Bailey Court. The rooms are slightly larger than moatside and you are in a quieter area, i.e. just off palace green rather than just behind a pub. They also have internet connections, but they may have installed them in moatside by now.

thanks for the info... right that makes my decision easier i'll put down Bailey court as my 1st choice and moatside as my last! xpx
All this talk accomodation baffles me. I bet when the forms come out everyone is going to be frantically sharing their choices on the forums.

btw, what do the forms actually say? I know they've got lots of strange questions, but does anyone (*cough*dave*cough*) know what they actually say? Hehe.. I'm excited.
Reply 19
lilsunflower
All this talk accomodation baffles me. I bet when the forms come out everyone is going to be frantically sharing their choices on the forums.

btw, what do the forms actually say? I know they've got lots of strange questions, but does anyone (*cough*dave*cough*) know what they actually say? Hehe.. I'm excited.

Its been a while since I filled one in, but for a start they are college specific.

As the colleges all provide food, and have no real self-catering options they need to know about vegitarians, religious diets, allergies etc.

They also need to know about any disabilities, medical conditions etc. E.g a deaf person needs to be near a fire exit and have a key availible, or have a visual fire alarm so that they can evacuate in case of a fire.

They used to ask if you smoked, but Trevs has now gone all non-smoking in the rooms, so they may not ask you that one.

For colleges with different blocks, they may ask your preference. As Trevs is all one building that was not asked.

They ask if you want to share 1st term, or not, and they also ask questions to determine who to pair you up with if you do share 1st term. Things like Snoring, do you prefer early mornings or late nights, do you like quiet study or parties. The problem is people don't answer honestly!

Latest

Trending

Trending