Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have I left it too late to revise? [Serious help needed!] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've taken History, Business and Sociology for my option choices. I'm still taking the standard English Language, English Literature, Maths and Triple Science.

I've done my Business coursework which I got a B on (25% of final grade)

I've almost completed my science coursework which I'll get at least a C in my teacher has said (25% of final grade)

I've completed my History coursework but haven't been told what I've got yet (25% of final grade).

Now, here's my concern. I took my mock exams around November / December and did not revise at all for even one exam. I fell asleep through most exams with around half an hour to an hour remaining.

These are my mock results:

English Language - 2 (E)
    English Litreature - 4 (C)
    Maths - 4 - (C)
    Science (Combined) - F
    Business - C
    Sociology - D (2 marks of a c)
    History - E.

Now, these for me are shocking I need to get atleast all C's. I got around 115 days left for my final exams and need to know, if I revise every day for about two hours a day will I be able to get C's for all my subjects? Or is it too late from seeing my grades here?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkSmurf7)
    Hi, I've taken History, Business and Sociology for my option choices. I'm still taking the standard English Language, English Literature, Maths and Triple Science.

I've done my Business coursework which I got a B on (25% of final grade)

I've almost completed my science coursework which I'll get at least a C in my teacher has said (25% of final grade)

I've completed my History coursework but haven't been told what I've got yet (25% of final grade).

Now, here's my concern. I took my mock exams around November / December and did not revise at all for even one exam. I fell asleep through most exams with around half an hour to an hour remaining.

These are my mock results:

English Language - 2 (E)
    English Litreature - 4 (C)
    Maths - 4 - (C)
    Science (Combined) - F
    Business - C
    Sociology - D (2 marks of a c)
    History - E.

Now, these for me are shocking I need to get atleast all C's. I got around 115 days left for my final exams and need to know, if I revise every day for about two hours a day will I be able to get C's for all my subjects? Or is it too late from seeing my grades here?

Thanks.

Its never too late to revise!!!!!!

I started my revision from January aswell after getting mostly D's and E's in the mocks but then I revised 2 hours a day during the week and 3 hours on the weekend and i got 9A's and 1B in the actual exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vali7654321)
    Its never too late to revise!!!!!!

I started my revision from January aswell after getting mostly D's and E's in the mocks but then I revised 2 hours a day during the week and 3 hours on the weekend and i got 9A's and 1B in the actual exam.
    That's impressive. Mind sharing the tips on how you got them? I really need help on English and to not get distracted. I really need to start revising.

ReputationRep:
    You have time, but get started now. Do a bit every day/most days. Don't try to cram a few days before each exam.

ReputationRep:
    Of course mate, there are people who revise only two months before the exams and nail them.

If I were you, I'd revise or atleast go over my work everyday for 1-2 hours.
    And when it comes to exam prepping, be honest about the past paper and circle anything you don't actually understand. Then go to a youtube video or ask your teachers at school for help so you can resolve your weaknesses.

GCSE grades are important, and I believe you can sort your self out since you've taken the initative to talk about this issue now.

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late. But it will be if you keep using TSR instead of buckling down and getting the work done. So crack on with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stoke123)
    Of course mate, there are people who revise only two months before the exams and nail them.

If I were you, I'd revise or atleast go over my work everyday for 1-2 hours.
    And when it comes to exam prepping, be honest about the past paper and circle anything you don't actually understand. Then go to a youtube video or ask your teachers at school for help so you can resolve your weaknesses.

GCSE grades are important, and I believe you can sort your self out since you've taken the initative to talk about this issue now.
    The subjects I know I can easily pass are Business, Sociology and Maths. I really need help on getting English to that C. I've bought every revision guide I need for all my subjects and york notes for my English Lit. Are these any good? How do I revise effectively.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too late to revise but you need to make sure you're organised about it! to help with your revision you should try to figure out how you learn and that'll help you do your revision. Key is repetition so make sure you don't make notes on a topic then never read them again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    It's never too late. But it will be if you keep using TSR instead of buckling down and getting the work done. So crack on with it!
    Haha, I understand what you mean. The issue is that I've got all revision guides and resources I need, I just dont know how to use them, I don't know how to revise!

ReputationRep:
    That's impressive. Mind sharing the tips on how you got them? I really need help on English and to not get distracted. I really need to start revising.
    I used to revise for 30 mins and takes a 5 minute break, this way I never got bored or distracted. I also used to revise infront of my parents who would make sure i actually revise and not play games.

English is my weak spot too (that's what I got the B in) but I used past papers and got my teacher to give me extra classes to make me understand where I was going wrong and how to improve.

For science, I used to watch mygcsescience (HE IS AMAZING!!) videos and make notes on them.

For maths, I used the mathswatch disk its really good and only costs £5. It goes through most of the topics you need to learn and gives you lots of questions and goes through them in the video aswell.

For the other subjects (business, geography, RE etc) I bought textbooks from school and made notes using them.

ReputationRep:
    revised the night before my exams for gcses and got A*/A, honestly gcses are easy wait till you get to A2 it is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Not too late. My brother revised a few days before his actual exams (was his first time revising) and he came out with A*s after getting mainly Us throughout the year.

However, you should really aim for high marks for ur coursework. Makes such a big difference!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vali7654321)
    I used to revise for 30 mins and takes a 5 minute break, this way I never got bored or distracted. I also used to revise infront of my parents who would make sure i actually revise and not play games.

English is my weak spot too (that's what I got the B in) but I used past papers and got my teacher to give me extra classes to make me understand where I was going wrong and how to improve.

For science, I used to watch mygcsescience (HE IS AMAZING!!) videos and make notes on them.

For maths, I used the mathswatch disk its really good and only costs £5. It goes through most of the topics you need to learn and gives you lots of questions and goes through them in the video aswell.

For the other subjects (business, geography, RE etc) I bought textbooks from school and made notes using them.
    Yeah, I know I'll pass Maths, Business and Sociology. I just want my English and science. I want a couple of B's potentially a Few A's and I don't mind a C.

Do I revise what I learnt in school? Do I revise the things I didn't understand? I got Revision Cards / Flash cards how do I use them effectively?

ReputationRep:
    Whether in reality it's too late or not, is kind of irrelevant. You have that many weeks to get yourself together as much as you possibly can.
    So get off TSR and revise!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I understand what you mean. The issue is that I've got all revision guides and resources I need, I just dont know how to use them, I don't know how to revise!
    I understand - people sort of assume everyone knows what 'revise' means, like it's some instinct that everyone has! Truth is, of course, revision is as much of a skill as any other academic endeavour; a skill which can be rehearsed and improved with practice.

The one thing I'd recommend is to make ALL of your revision as active as possible. By that, I mean consistently checking what you know, finding the gaps in your knowledge and checking again what you understand and what you remember. However you do this, by flashcards with a few words on them where you 'fill in the gaps', to revision sheets, to practice essays/essay plans...that's up to you to see what works best. But try to keep challenging yourself to find out what you know and what you need to learn/re-learn - your revision will be so much more focussed and effective this way. The very worst way you could revise is simply to sit down and read through your notes/books, but I'm sure you already know this.

ReputationRep:
    The subjects I know I can easily pass are Business, Sociology and Maths. I really need help on getting English to that C. I've bought every revision guide I need for all my subjects and york notes for my English Lit. Are these any good? How do I revise effectively.
    First off your mind set is almost there. The attitude you need to have should be like mine (doing a levels this year), where if you want a C you need to aim for a B. Once you start doing this, and naturally become better at the subject, you'll become more ruthless on your past papers to the point where you want to know 'why didn't I get that last mark?'.

When it comes to revision, it differs from subject to subject. In general, those that require you to remember critical information like Biology, you need to aim at decorating your room with posters of notes to see when you wake up in the morning, create flashcards to read on your way to school, and test yourself by having your parents ask you questions from your text book.

Subjects that are based off working things out like Maths of Physics, past papers are essential. Those past papers need to be done all the time, atleast once a day until it becomes such a habit you don't become nervous in the exam.

However, heavy essay related subjects like English are a bit different. You must develop a critical and creative mind, and this can be trained with the help of youtube videos as people share their prespective. Whereas the essay structure can be improved by pestering your teacher after class to look at examples you've completed.

ReputationRep:
    I understand - people sort of assume everyone knows what 'revise' means, like it's some instinct that everyone has! Truth is, of course, revision is as much of a skill as any other academic endeavour; a skill which can be rehearsed and improved with practice.

The one thing I'd recommend is to make ALL of your revision as active as possible. By that, I mean consistently checking what you know, finding the gaps in your knowledge and checking again what you understand and what you remember. However you do this, by flashcards with a few words on them where you 'fill in the gaps', to revision sheets, to practice essays/essay plans...that's up to you to see what works best. But try to keep challenging yourself to find out what you know and what you need to learn/re-learn - your revision will be so much more focussed and effective this way. The very worst way you could revise is simply to sit down and read through your notes/books, but I'm sure you already know this.
    First off your mind set is almost there. The attitude you need to have should be like mine (doing a levels this year), where if you want a C you need to aim for a B. Once you start doing this, and naturally become better at the subject, you'll become more ruthless on your past papers to the point where you want to know 'why didn't I get that last mark?'.

When it comes to revision, it differs from subject to subject. In general, those that require you to remember critical information like Biology, you need to aim at decorating your room with posters of notes to see when you wake up in the morning, create flashcards to read on your way to school, and test yourself by having your parents ask you questions from your text book.

Subjects that are based off working things out like Maths of Physics, past papers are essential. Those past papers need to be done all the time, atleast once a day until it becomes such a habit you don't become nervous in the exam.

However, heavy essay related subjects like English are a bit different. You must develop a critical and creative mind, and this can be trained with the help of youtube videos as people share their prespective. Whereas the essay structure can be improved by pestering your teacher after class to look at examples you've completed.
    These are both two great answers that I will use!

Just a question, I'm deciding to give up my lunch hour, an hour after school and potentially an hour just before I sleep. I have three hours a day to revise on. Now, each hour what shall I do, a different subject or the same each day for three hours and change it the next day? e.g Monday - 3 hours maths, Tuesday, 3 hours English or . Monday, 1 hour English, 1 hour Maths, 1 hour Science, Tuesday, 1 hour Business, 1 hour Sociology, 1 hour history. Which way works best?

ReputationRep:

Just a question, I'm deciding to give up my lunch hour, an hour after school and potentially an hour just before I sleep. I have three hours a day to revise on. Now, each hour what shall I do, a different subject or the same each day for three hours and change it the next day? e.g Monday - 3 hours maths, Tuesday, 3 hours English or . Monday, 1 hour English, 1 hour Maths, 1 hour Science, Tuesday, 1 hour Business, 1 hour Sociology, 1 hour history. Which way works best?
    Aim to do 1 hour on a subject your comfortable with, and 2 hours that you aren't so much every day.

This is because If you do a 3 hour marathon of the same subject or altogether completely different, it can get either too boring or too quick so that you don't actually absorb anything.

ReputationRep:

I think you'll have to try a few different permutations to see which works best. You might find doing the same subject for three hours becomes a bit boring and you switch off - alternatively you might find swapping between subjects gets confusing! Try each to see which works best.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll have to try a few different permutations to see which works best. You might find doing the same subject for three hours becomes a bit boring and you switch off - alternatively you might find swapping between subjects gets confusing! Try each to see which works best.
    Aim to do 1 hour on a subject your comfortable with, and 2 hours that you aren't so much every day.

This is because If you do a 3 hour marathon of the same subject or altogether completely different, it can get either too boring or too quick so that you don't actually absorb anything.
    Okay, I'm going to start revising now. So shall I just take down notes? Use my flashcards or what I don't know lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.