Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is more famous Cambridge or Oxford? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which is more famous?
    Oxford
    67.46%
    Cambridge
    32.54%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Nice writer. Quite good. Fairly amusing at times. :teehee:
    you have Tolkien

Now I know what a piece of bacon feels like when it is suddenly picked out of the pan on a fork and put back on the shelf!

... we have Wittgenstein...

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you have Tolkien
    "But against Minas Tirith was set another fortress, greater and more strong. Thither, eastward, unwilling his eye was drawn. It passed the ruined bridges of Osgiliath, the grinning gates of Minas Morgul, and the haunted mountains, and it looked upon Gorgoroth, the valley of terror in the Land of Mordor. Darkness lay there under the Sun. Fire glowed amid the smoke. Mount Doom was burning, and a great reek rising. Then at last his gaze was held: wall upon wall, battlement upon battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant, he saw it: Barad-Dûr, Fortress of Sauron. All hope left him."

We do. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is more "famous."

I am basing this by that well known, internationally recognised standard of t shirts/sweatshirts sold.

If you go into a tourist trap shop in London do you even see a Cambridge one?

Oxford was the first, the original university in the English speaking world. Cambridge only came into existence at all because of a breakaway from Oxford.

It is always Oxford first. Oxbridge. The Oxford and Cambridge boat race.

I am not saying it is a better university, but that wasn't the question. Just that it is the more "famous."

And although my first comment was meant as a joke, isn't there something serious contained within it? Why would foreign tourists want to wear and have the reflected glory of a shirt with the logo and name of the second most famous university in the country on it??

ReputationRep:
    "But against Minas Tirith was set another fortress, greater and more strong. Thither, eastward, unwilling his eye was drawn. It passed the ruined bridges of Osgiliath, the grinning gates of Minas Morgul, and the haunted mountains, and it looked upon Gorgoroth, the valley of terror in the Land of Mordor. Darkness lay there under the Sun. Fire glowed amid the smoke. Mount Doom was burning, and a great reek rising. Then at last his gaze was held: wall upon wall, battlement upon battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant, he saw it: Barad-Dûr, Fortress of Sauron. All hope left him."

We do. :smug:
    he never liked to say nice things about Cambridge :teehee:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Kill me now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Kill me now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I take it we're not a Tolkien fan? Never mind. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Kill me now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    “This is the Arkenstone of Thrain,” said Bilbo, “the Heart of the Mountain; and it is also the heart of Thorin.”
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I take it we're not a Tolkien fan? Never mind. :console:
    Read all, including (some) of Silmarillion, but no not a fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carpenoctem)
    Come on people how could you possibly forget this legendary series?? In all honesty it was a Latin trip to Cambridge that "sparked my interest" in the university. But I wasn't going to put that in my Medicine personal statement...

Attachment 613418

Spoiler:
    Show

Quintus was my first love so the fact that he was in the later books was the highlight of my GCSEs. That and Euryalus getting killed after trying to be so macho in the Aeneid.
    Omggggg these books were top bantz

I remember Rufilla losing it over furniture or something mad in Book 2

And Salvius never filled the Caecillius-shaped hole in my heart

Quintus and Clemens tho, the bromance was real

ReputationRep:
    I had a relative (long dead now) who was taught by Tolkein.

He said that the latter started to write as a break from the boredom of marking examination scripts.

So whilst Oxford might be the most famous university, it doesn't sound like its undergraduates wrote anything that was much fun for their dons to read, even way back then.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought Cambridge because they've produced more influential scientists and I've known far more people go to Cambridge (not a very good reason).

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is where DNA and gravity were first discovered. its university buildings are much nicer compared to Oxford. I am from Cambridge, everyone I speak to has heard of it, I have never had to explain what it is and same for Oxford. I think the two are about even, also because of the boat race and the tea and crumpets countryside vision of England
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oxford because it is more well-known and publicised than Cambridge. After all, even in Soul Eater, we have a character named Ox Ford, but not one named Cam Bridge.

That being said, Cambridge is very famous too, just a little bit less famous than Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford because it's older, and Cambridge was essentially a spin off from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    Oxford because it's older, and Cambridge was essentially a spin off from it.
    And then went on to win more than double the nobel prizes of its older sibling, hosting the discoveries of gravity, DNA, and the most influential theory of evolution. Not bad for a "spin-off". Rather embarrassing for Oxford actually, since it had longer to establish itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I've always thought Cambridge because they've produced more influential scientists and I've known far more people go to Cambridge (not a very good reason).
    Well a far better reason than Oxford being older, I'd say

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.