Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmine_Bunn)
    thanks for this! although i can't remember exactly what i wrote it's still interesting to see! i have no idea what i've got.. possibly not as well as i could have..

also for the internet question would 'lack of policing' count as different point to censorship as it said 'other than censorship' in the question??? not that it matters now anyway haha
    Yeah it is classed as a entirely different point on the 2015 mark scheme so I wouldn't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with results day everyone, this will be an interesting one.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/423376...s-this-summer/

Lets hope this applies to us??? (pls XD)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody has the WJEC grade boundaries, I know theg are released the day before for GCSEs and im not sure about A Levels.
    Thanks,
    James (The now 16 year old)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesa9283)
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody has the WJEC grade boundaries, I know theg are released the day before for GCSEs and im not sure about A Levels.
    Thanks,
    James (The now 16 year old)
    They aren't out yet. It will be either midnight tonight or 6am.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks,

ReputationRep:
    how did u all get on?

i managed to get the B that i needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hehexd)
    how did u all get on?

i managed to get the B that i needed
    Got a B too lost my A but I knew I would straight after I sat that exam tbh

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. Really glad you all got what you were after. The marking is very harsh and the paper was not nice.

Here's mine:

IT3: 110UMS / 120UMS
    IT4: 60UMS / 80UMS

Basically my school is in consortium with another school. The partner school delivered the course and IT4 marks were accurate for all pupils based at the partner school. However, all of the pupils, myself included, at my home school have seen their mark drop for the coursework.

At present, I am led to assume that the WJEC moderator has made some form of clerical error, especially considering that my teacher has proven she knows how to deliver the course accurately.

A remoderation will likely pursued so I can get my A*. Its another terrible year for the A*s however, with just 0.4%!!!! getting it. The lowest it has ever been. Just ELEVEN candidates out of 2739!!! - total madness...

Good luck in the future everyone, and any future students reading this, I hope that this thread helps you to succeed with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just like to say thanks to everyone who put exam material on here. I got an A hope everyone else did good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PedanticStudent)

Date of Examination: Friday, 16th June 2017 (AM)

Hey guys; Its almost that time of the year again, where we all need to grind out those past paper questions and memorise marking schemes! - By the way, if you didn't know, mark schemes are everything for IT1 and IT3, so get learning them! (try to place the most emphasis on the newest ones, since they have changed a little over the years).

Discuss your revision habits / tips or just chat about the exam by making a post below! - We had a huge AS Level thread going last year, lets do it again!

Possible conversation topics?:
    • How far are you through the syllabus?
    • How confident are you feeling for the exam?
    • Are you resitting the AS Level IT1 paper after disappointment last year?
    • How is your coursework coming along?
    • How is the exam content taught in your school?
    • What is your AS Level grade for ICT?
    • How often do you revise?
    • Do you agree with the method described in this post, does it work for you?

=====

Topic List (As per textbook)
    NB: If you are going to use the textbook, ONLY use it to gain understanding / 'pad out' your answers ie: add additional detail to your mark scheme answers. It is utterly essential that you get the mark scheme points down on the paper. Have I emphasised that enough yet? :P

1. Networks (comes up on every paper)
    2. The Internet (comes up on every paper)
    3. HCIs (comes up on every paper)
    4. Working with ICT (comes up most of the time)
    5. Security Policies (comes up on every paper)
    6. Database Systems (comes up on every paper as Option 2 of Section B)
    7. Management of Change (doesn't come up very often, rarest of them all)
    8. Management Information Systems (comes up on every paper, basically the same question too)
    9. System Development Life Cycle (comes up on every paper)

PAST PAPERS | MARKING SCHEMES | SPECIFICATION | REPORTS

https://jacktilson.net/edu/ict

Click that link (or copy and paste it to your URL bar if it isn't working) - every exam paper ever held for this specification is on there, along with their corresponding marking schemes.

TOPIC BY TOPIC REVISION? - HERE'S A PACK OF QUESTIONS FOR YOU!

https://jacktilson.net/edu/ict/misc/...stion-Pack.pdf

It's a PDF so you are able to view it on all of your devices, and don't need Microsoft Office. On the main ICT site (the first link), I've also put a button above the table containing the papers and mark schemes which will allow you to access this revision pack easily.

=====

I recommend the following technique:

1) Segregate the questions by topic, and answer all of them by reading the marking scheme and writing down everything you can remember - then confirm that you have accurately copied.

2) Try to answer all of the distinct question types from that topic again, only using the mark scheme when you feel you REALLY need it to jog your memory (only a glance!!!) - then confirm you have accurately copied.

3) Answer all of the distinct question types from the topic again but this time, NO mark schemes. Only use them after you have completed the question. NO CHEATING!. Kick yourself in the ass when you get something wrong, remember your error and correct it!!

4) After you feel you have adequate knowledge of each topic's mark schemes, proceed to complete a past paper. I recommend doing the more recent ones first. Pay close attention to any discrepancies between your work and the mark scheme and apply effort to ensure that you are writing as snugly to the scheme as you can!

5) Keep your knowledge strong and pound it into your long term memory by regularly completing past papers (one a week?) right through to the exam. When you run out, just start from the start and work through them all again.

Yes its laborious, yes its monotonous, yes its boring, BUT IT WORKS!
    I did this last year with IT1 (a little less perfectly) and came out with 101/120 UMS. (A) in IT1.

=====

Exam aside, you should be making it your priority to get as many marks in the coursework project as possible!
    Make no mistake, these ICT examiners have no mercy, and more often than not, the mean grade is an E... (I'm not joking, see the below image for an example from summer 2012, it happens all the time) - but don't panic, take this advice on board, and you'll be fine.

Remember, work hard, work consistently and I wish you the very best of luck to you all for each of your upcoming exams! You'll get the grades you deserve - I hope there are no nasty surprises, for our sake

ICT, WJEC ICT, ict, it, unit 3, ict unit 3, summer 2017, june 2017 <== (Extra Tags, to help people find this thread)
    I am aware that you need to memorise the mark schemes, however how am I supposed to do this for 10 mark evaluation question as the mark schemes just give prompts to points rather than sentences I can use. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.