Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Security Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Members,

Can I suggest that you remove from your profiles any instant messaging details that you have entered.

Also beware of any links posted in messages that you aren't sure are from a reliable source - if you have any doubts, don't click the link/attachment.

Expression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Members,

Can I suggest that you remove from your profiles any instant messaging details that you have entered.

Also beware of any links posted in messages that you aren't sure are from a reliable source - if you have any doubts, don't click the link/attachment.

Expression
    why expression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    why expression?
    I thnk its because of a recent hacking problem. They can use you email address to get your UKL login details. If you have any personal information on your profile.

ReputationRep:
    Funny you should say that i think i was hacked a week ago because my profile had been changed. i just changed it back now but i think this will have to be sorted out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I thnk its because of a recent hacking problem. They can use you email address to get your UKL login details. If you have any personal information on your profile.

I know, ill tell you, there are alot of Exploits that can be used to hack this forum.......

ReputationRep:
    He is only guessing the passwords, so if you have anything in your profile that might help him guess it would be best to remove it if you are afraid of you account getting hacked.

ReputationRep:
    What a sad sad guy. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    My I.T teacher taught me how to make passwords when people kept guesisng mine when I was 13. Nobody will get it. Hackers were trying to hack into my account this morning. I have their IP address though.[/B]

ReputationRep:
    It helps to keep your password obscure. If I say anything stupid it wasn't me - it was the hacker.

ReputationRep:
    It seems the other person is based in Manchester and is on BT Broadband according to my TRACERT test. I will to do WHOIS lookup now.

ReputationRep:
    Here is the full details about my hacker or their proxy.

OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
    OrgID: RIPE
    Address: Singel 258
    Address: 1016 AB
    City: Amsterdam
    StateProv:
    PostalCode:

ReferralServer: whois://whois.ripe.net:43

NetRange: 217.0.0.0 - 217.255.255.255
    CIDR: 217.0.0.0/8
    NetName: 217-RIPE
    NetHandle: NET-217-0-0-0-1
    Parent:
    NetType: Allocated to RIPE NCC
    NameServer: NS-PRI.RIPE.NET
    NameServer: NS3.NIC.FR
    NameServer: SUNIC.SUNET.SE
    NameServer: AUTH00.NS.UU.NET
    NameServer: SEC1.APNIC.NET
    NameServer: SEC3.APNIC.NET
    NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET
    Comment: These addresses have been further assigned to users in
    Comment: the RIPE NCC region. Contact information can be found in
    Comment: the RIPE database at http://www.ripe.net/whois
    RegDate: 2000-06-05
    Updated: 2004-03-16

# ARIN WHOIS database, l

ReputationRep:
    Further invesitgation leads me to this:

http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois?form_..._search=Search

So it seems the hacker is on BT Broadband and lives in Preston. He may have a BT Wholesale account though.

ReputationRep:
    Further invesitgation leads me to this:

http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois?form_..._search=Search

So it seems the hacker is on BT Broadband and lives in Preston. He may have a BT Wholesale account though.
    Preston? That scumbag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Preston? That scumbag.
    I think thats just the main control place in the North West, the hacker is using a different ISP using BT Whosale all I know is he/she is probably North West based as has broadband. Not much to go on really though it seems unlikely the hacker is using a proxy.

Can other people please check the IP address on the email if people have tried to hack into your UKL account. If the IPs match then we can report them to BT and they will be banned.

ReputationRep:
    Two different people running two different IP addresses and getting two different ISP. I do believe the man is thoroughly proxied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I thought the IPs used by 'the hacker' turned up in Brazil, China and somewhere daft like Switzerland?
    I think we have two hackers. One knows his stuff, the other is just randomly guessing passwords and this the one that tried to hack me. It happened around 12:30 today when I was out, I only found as I got an email from UKL (automaticaly generated) informing my account has been locked for 15 minutes because people have been trying to login with an invalid password.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the IPs used by 'the hacker' turned up in Brazil, China and somewhere daft like Switzerland?
    Wbl listed at least 6 to me when I was talking to him.

ReputationRep:
    I think we have two hackers. One knows his stuff, the other is just randomly guessing passwords and this the one that tried to hack me. It happened around 12:30 today when I was out, I only found as I got an email from UKL (automaticaly generated) informing my account has been locked for 15 minutes because people have been trying to login with an invalid password.
    Wbl, the one that is getting into all the accounts, is the one that is guessing. It's not random though, he does his research first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Wbl, the one that is getting into all the accounts, is the one that is guessing. It's not random though, he does his research first.
    I just can't see a UK based person using a UK based proxy so maybe its just a chancer that hacked me.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to use some kind of code for a password that is unique to you. Nobody can ever get mine for example just by guessing.

ReputationRep:
    Its not 'manc', 'salford' or 'joydivision' is it?
    Nope in fact might as well be shortened MD5 code My password means nothing to a human. I am not stupid enough to make a passowrd Joy Division. In fact I never even use security questions and if they force me I just make a stupid false one up that nobody could possibly get.

I am stagered how many people use stuff like whats your mothers maided name, then when their MSN gets hacked into they think they are the victims of some major hacking operations.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.