Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Its not 'manc', 'salford' or 'joydivision' is it?
    hehehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I just can't see a UK based person using a UK based proxy so maybe its just a chancer that hacked me.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to use some kind of code for a password that is unique to you. Nobody can ever get mine for example just by guessing.
    I guess we have someone trying to play hacker, because he says he didn't even try at your account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    He doesn't have a guess at the passwords, he guesses the answers to secret questions by doing his research on you, and then he resets the password to whatever he likes, and logs in.
    I know exactly how he does it, its still guessing as even if you find stuff you have to guess the answer. This why the security questions are the most stupid idea ever and I refused to use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    He does it as how I told you, he explained to me via PM exactly, step by step, how he hacked into my hotmail and yahoo accounts. He used the secret question method both times, and to be fair, they were easy to guess if he knows enough about me, especailly the hotmail one.
    I know but I have always known how its done, its what I mean't earlier about people claiming they have been a victim of a massive hack when its simply avoided by not being stupid enough to use a security question.

ReputationRep:
    Someone got into both my UKL and hotmail accounts for a while. It was easy to guess my password; it used to be 'imperial13'. Not difficult to jab away at. I was just lazy in not doing something more complex; now all my passwords are secure.

I suggest to everyone to use a random string of lower and uppercase letters, as well as numbers.

e.g. gj7FT89za

Or something else unguessable like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Someone got into both my UKL and hotmail accounts for a while. It was easy to guess my password; it used to be 'imperial13'. Not difficult to jab away at. I was just lazy in not doing something more complex; now all my passwords are secure.

I suggest to everyone to use a random string of lower and uppercase letters, as well as numbers.

e.g. gj7FT89za

Or something else unguessable like that.
    Thats the kind of password I have and have used for the last 10 years. I first fell victim of people guessing my password way back in 1995 when I was at school.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the kind of password I have and have used for the last 10 years. I first fell victim of people guessing my password way back in 1995 when I was at school.
    you should change your password more often, even if it is random

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you should change your password more often, even if it is random
    But the password isn't the ultimate method of entry by the hacker. It is knowing enough details about you, answering the secret question that nobody bothers to change because everyone harps on about the password only, and then re-setting it to what they like.

The hacker didn't just go to yahoo and try loads of passwords, and typed in "johnhiggins".

ReputationRep:
    Nobody can ever get mine
    Saying things like this is not a good measure =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Saying things like this is not a good measure =P
    Thats how confident I am

If they did manage to hack into UKL all they would get is some useless MD5 code. Plus I don't have any passwords in my email, I use different passwords for different things anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    virgin21? mozza69? I'm getting close aren't I?
    No where near close Its just a load of random code. Its not a word its just some code. I have probably said too much already but it has no personal meaning so it would be impossible to guess.

ReputationRep:
    No where near close Its just a load of random code. Its not a word its just some code. I have probably said too much already but it has no personal meaning so it would be impossible to guess.
    Is it the one you got sent when you forgot your password?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Is it the one you got sent when you forgot your password?
    Nope my IT teacher Mr Herbert helped me make it back in March 1996

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I actually got an email about somebody trying to get access to my account. I deleted it though...oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    :rolleyes: I actually got an email about somebody trying to get access to my account. I deleted it though...oh well.
    That is automatic. When your account is locked an email is sent to you with the IP of the person who did it.

ReputationRep:
    someone has done it to me as well... i've been away this week and on wednesday someone got into my hotmail and then changed my ukl password... i don't know if it's coincidence but i've also had more junk mail than usual all with attatchements (all of which i deleted and one was picked up by hotmail as unsafe)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    http://teenfriend91.proboards32.com/

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.