Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I got my mock results and these are the grades I received: 5A*'s, 2A's, B, 3D's. I got 2 D's in English and so I have been told that I will not enter the sixth form I want to go to. It's really upsetting since in terms of grades, I was in the top 5 of the year. Someone help me. I feel really disheartened, especially since some of the people who got accepted did a lot worse than me in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    English is a core and important subject, you need atleast C grades for it. Do you struggle in English in any way?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    English is a core and important subject, you need atleast C grades for it. Do you struggle in English in any way?
    Not really. I honestly think it was down to bad marking. Although I have been given the advice to write more "scientifically" in English as I tend to go into too much depth sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moltenmo)
    Not really. I honestly think it was down to bad marking. Although I have been given the advice to write more "scientifically" in English as I tend to go into too much depth sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's wrong, English is essay based, you need to go in depth. Is Language or Literature your strongest side of English?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That's wrong, English is essay based, you need to go in depth. Is Language or Literature your strongest side of English?
    Language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was mine too, I do both at A Level if you wanted my help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Was mine too, I do both at A Level if you wanted my help
    Yes please. Any help is appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What level did you get because English isn't graded in letters anymore?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidpoku)
    What level did you get because English isn't graded in letters anymore?
    Two 4's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got my mock results and these are the grades I received: 5A*'s, 2A's, B, 3D's. I got 2 D's in English and so I have been told that I will not enter the sixth form I want to go to. It's really upsetting since in terms of grades, I was in the top 5 of the year. Someone help me. I feel really disheartened, especially since some of the people who got accepted did a lot worse than me in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do mock results stop you going into a Sixth Form? They will look at your real results.

Are you in England? I'm confused as to why you have letter grades in English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Two 4's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A grade 4 is a C not a D ...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    No, it's a D. Yes, I live in England. Also, the mock exams are used to indicate what I am likely to get in the real exams.
    I wanted to do politics but I don't think I will be allowed to do this subject because I need at least a 5/C in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned above, English is a core subject as is maths and science. You could have 9 A*s and 2 D's in English, you would still be looked down upon, if not rejected by most sixth forms.

Colleges, on the other hand would accept you, although I don't think you want to go to college.

Do as much as you can to improve your English skills and you will get the grade

ReputationRep:
    No, it's a D. Yes, I live in England. Also, the mock exams are used to indicate what I am likely to get in the real exams.
    I wanted to do politics but I don't think I will be allowed to do this subject because I need at least a 5/C in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    grade 4 is a low C, grade 5 is a high C

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, this is wrong - I'm a teacher.

Here is the official paperwork about the changes:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._New_GCSEs.pdf

"Broadly the same proportion of students will achieve a grade 4 and above as currently achieve a grade C and above"

ReputationRep:
    A 5 is a C, a 4 is a D. Also, when they say more scientifically I think they mean you need to have more structure and not just ramble on about something. You need to be more precise blah blah blah blah blah you get the idea. As for failing, English is a core subject, and I presume your a mathematical and logical kind of guy? (just a guess). Either way, you can try and appeal and say "oh, I'll get the, next time etc." buts its weird they rejected you off of your GCSEs? People in my year got 2s and 3rd but the school hasn't turned round and said "you aren't coming back!", they wait till GCSEs. Call up and find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    A 5 is a C, a 4 is a D. Also, when they say more scientifically I think they mean you need to have more structure and not just ramble on about something. You need to be more precise blah blah blah blah blah you get the idea. As for failing, English is a core subject, and I presume your a mathematical and logical kind of guy? (just a guess). Either way, you can try and appeal and say "oh, I'll get the, next time etc." buts its weird they rejected you off of your GCSEs? People in my year got 2s and 3rd but the school hasn't turned round and said "you aren't coming back!", they wait till GCSEs. Call up and find out
    Look at the two posts above you: a grade C = a grade 4

ReputationRep:
    Look at the two posts above you: a grade C = a grade 4
    I know for certain that a 4 is a D for our board, I'm looking at it right now. Whether it's due to different boards or whatnot, I'm looking at a 4 as a D
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    It's so frustrating so I need to do something about this. I'll try and get it remarked tomorrow. I wish marks could be computerised because otherwise it's all subjective.

I think you are right in regards to the scientific approach to questions. You are also right in assuming I am a mathematical and logical type of person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidpoku)
    grade 4 is a low C, grade 5 is a high C
    Not sure if this applies to the Edexcel board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.