Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who are obsessed with Oxford and Cambridge - don't they annoy you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who, despite never going there, are obsessed with Oxford and Cambridge and are "in awe" of people who go there and like to collect friends that are alumni. They refer to everything university related in and Oxbridge way - such as the names of the terms & exams (I never knew that they had different names to normal places until I heard this from them)... I just don't get it. Part of it seems to be the allure of the rich, privately educated crew as they also are in awe of this kind of person.

I understand Oxford and Cambridge are prestigious and old universities, but there are other good universities out there and graduating from these 2 doesn't make you superior just like going to uni doesn't make you superior to non-uni people.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because I'm Scottish, but I've never actually met anyone IRL who expressed any interest in either university. That's probably because we've free tuition if we remain in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Never met people like that.

ReputationRep:
    I've met people who are very keen on going (usually because they really like the course or it's the only uni to offer the specific combo). Durham and a couple others use the weird names eg Michaelmas. I've found that some become more infatuated because they know an alumnus, but I've not met any of the alumni-chasers that you described. xDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    I know a few people who, despite never going there, are obsessed with Oxford and Cambridge and are "in awe" of people who go there and like to collect friends that are alumni. They refer to everything university related in and Oxbridge way - such as the names of the terms & exams (I never knew that they had different names to normal places until I heard this from them)... I just don't get it. Part of it seems to be the allure of the rich, privately educated crew as they also are in awe of this kind of person.

I understand Oxford and Cambridge are prestigious and old universities, but there are other good universities out there and graduating from these 2 doesn't make you superior just like going to uni doesn't make you superior to non-uni people.
    yeah there are these people. Sorry to break it to ya but they are superior to you and me at least in education.They ut in the effort and deserve it so stop whining

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally more annoyed by people who are obsessed with going there, like, really? You? They think they're more intelligent than the average person when they're nothing special

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    They refer to everything university related in and Oxbridge way - such as the names of the terms & exams (I never knew that they had different names to normal places until I heard this from them)... I just don't get it. Part of it seems to be the allure of the rich, privately educated crew as they also are in awe of this kind of person.
    Given that they've both been there for over 800 years, surely the Oxbridge terminologies are the normal ones, and it's the others which are 'different'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dafock)
    yeah there are these people. Sorry to break it to ya but they are superior to you and me at least in education.They ut in the effort and deserve it so stop whining
    uh... ok lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Given that they've both been there for over 800 years, surely the Oxbridge terminologies are the normal ones, and it's the others which are 'different'?

well, they are both reciprocally different, I don't mean anything by different except that they aren't the same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.