Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want a Child in the future but do not want to pass on my genes? Watch

Not a huge fan of my genes and would describe myself as no less than a genetic f*ck up. I have a receding hairline and bad cystic acne, both of which are in my family genetics, I would not wish to put these on my kid, but I do really want children.

Is my only option adoption?

ReputationRep:
    Probably, until we figure out how to make designer babies...

(Original post by seyrose)
    Probably, until we figure out how to make designer babies...
    thats wrong on so many levels

ReputationRep:
    Adoption! There are so many children who need some good homes- really!

Especially from third-world countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not a huge fan of my genes and would describe myself as no less than a genetic f*ck up. I have a receding hairline and bad cystic acne, both of which are in my family genetics, I would not wish to put these on my kid, but I do really want children.

Technically, along with your upbringing, isn't that what makes them truly your children. He see yourself in them.

I don't know

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting you to be a carrier of cystic fibrosis or have haemophilia or something but you have acne and a receding hair line? plz... marry someone with thick hair and nice skin if it's that deep but i wouldn't worry too much, nothing a few treatments wont fix.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Surrogacy?

One word for you my friend, cuckold.

I feel the same way to be honest, it's not like my genetics are horrendous or I have any genetic diseases, but there's a long history of mental health issues in my family and I don't ever want my potential children to have to go through the hell I did with my depression and anxiety.

I'd say it's a very selfless way of looking at things - some people are too obsessed with the idea of passing on genetics and having biological children when it's not practical or necessary. There are thousands of kids waiting to be adopted, and adopting a child doesn't make them any less 'yours' than if you gave birth to them.

I'm still not sure if I even want kids yet, but if I did I think I'd adopt. It kinda makes me sad that I wouldn't get to go through the whole pregnancy and the excitement and happiness of that time, but overall, it'd be the best thing for my child.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Surrogacy?
    Surrogacy means that OP's children will still have some of his genes.

ReputationRep:
    thats wrong on so many levels
    Although its a very contentious topic, the possibility of editing otherwise debilitating/ fatal genetic disorders out of someone's genome is pretty amazing to me.

ReputationRep:
    Might be able to pick and choose genes for your future children but there is ethical problems surrounding this... but it will be possible. If we open the door allowing us to remove the gene causing a certain problem, then why not replace some genes and make the child more athletic or smart etc...

check this video out might give you some hope and insight!
    https://youtu.be/jAhjPd4uNFY
    Spoiler:
    Show

i'll probably be bald soon and i had bad acne(cleared now because of time), these things definitely dont define us and are features that shouldnt make you not want to have kids... but things like cystic fibrosis or huntingtons disease would be reasonable to consider not having children.

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    In the grand scheme of things, what you've said isn't that serious of a medical condition. And surely, there are treatments for the conditions you've mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    well... adopt then? Why is this a thread? I feel like you're just attention seeking...Isn't it obvious your options are adoption or surrogacy/sperm donor?

Anyway your receding hairline/baldness is X associated, so your kids would be fine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.