I want a Child in the future but do not want to pass on my genes?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Not a huge fan of my genes and would describe myself as no less than a genetic f*ck up. I have a receding hairline and bad cystic acne, both of which are in my family genetics, I would not wish to put these on my kid, but I do really want children.

Is my only option adoption?
username1150116
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably, until we figure out how to make designer babies...
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by seyrose)
Probably, until we figure out how to make designer babies...
thats wrong on so many levels
username2355189
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Adoption! There are so many children who need some good homes- really!

Especially from third-world countries.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Not a huge fan of my genes and would describe myself as no less than a genetic f*ck up. I have a receding hairline and bad cystic acne, both of which are in my family genetics, I would not wish to put these on my kid, but I do really want children.

Technically, along with your upbringing, isn't that what makes them truly your children. He see yourself in them.

I don't know
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was expecting you to be a carrier of cystic fibrosis or have haemophilia or something but you have acne and a receding hair line? plz... marry someone with thick hair and nice skin if it's that deep but i wouldn't worry too much, nothing a few treatments wont fix.
Nirvana1989-1994
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surrogacy?
Anonymous #3
Report 4 years ago

One word for you my friend, cuckold.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 years ago
I feel the same way to be honest, it's not like my genetics are horrendous or I have any genetic diseases, but there's a long history of mental health issues in my family and I don't ever want my potential children to have to go through the hell I did with my depression and anxiety.

I'd say it's a very selfless way of looking at things - some people are too obsessed with the idea of passing on genetics and having biological children when it's not practical or necessary. There are thousands of kids waiting to be adopted, and adopting a child doesn't make them any less 'yours' than if you gave birth to them.

I'm still not sure if I even want kids yet, but if I did I think I'd adopt. It kinda makes me sad that I wouldn't get to go through the whole pregnancy and the excitement and happiness of that time, but overall, it'd be the best thing for my child.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
Surrogacy?
Surrogacy means that OP's children will still have some of his genes.
username1150116
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thats wrong on so many levels
Although its a very contentious topic, the possibility of editing otherwise debilitating/ fatal genetic disorders out of someone's genome is pretty amazing to me.
smartguy32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Might be able to pick and choose genes for your future children but there is ethical problems surrounding this... but it will be possible. If we open the door allowing us to remove the gene causing a certain problem, then why not replace some genes and make the child more athletic or smart etc...

check this video out might give you some hope and insight!
https://youtu.be/jAhjPd4uNFY
Spoiler:
Show

i'll probably be bald soon and i had bad acne(cleared now because of time), these things definitely dont define us and are features that shouldnt make you not want to have kids... but things like cystic fibrosis or huntingtons disease would be reasonable to consider not having children.

Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the grand scheme of things, what you've said isn't that serious of a medical condition. And surely, there are treatments for the conditions you've mentioned?
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
well... adopt then? Why is this a thread? I feel like you're just attention seeking...Isn't it obvious your options are adoption or surrogacy/sperm donor?

Anyway your receding hairline/baldness is X associated, so your kids would be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.06%

Watched Threads