The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Law with foundation year at UWE - what can i expect?

Planning to go to UWE Bristol in September to study Law with a foundation year but I have no idea what to expect from the foundation year, is it just all group work that is irrelevant to Law or is it not too bad?
Hiyya, I’m looking to do the same this year! How was it?
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
I’ve applied to foundation law & business at UWE, would also like to hear what other people have to say!
Reply 3
So far it's not bad at all, quite easy actually so it's a nice stress-free year before the real work begins. You have to do four different modules and pass them all to get into first year, the modules are Business, Accounting & Economics, Law and becoming a professional.

The only downside is that you do feel like you actually want to learn something about the course you're doing in first year but the work is just so basic you don't feel like you're getting pushed enough, but if you didn't get the grades you wanted at sixth form/college or you've been out of education for a while it's a good option to get into uni.

It's also good because after you've finished the foundation year, you'll be going into first year already knowing the basics about your subject and you'll know the campus quite well. You have to do small essays as well so you'll already know how UWE like their essays referenced and you get lots of tips on how to structure them too which puts you at an advantage compared to those just starting first year.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by LucyH12345
So far it's not bad at all, quite easy actually so it's a nice stress-free year before the real work begins. You have to do four different modules and pass them all to get into first year, the modules are Business, Accounting & Economics, Law and becoming a professional.

The only downside is that you do feel like you actually want to learn something about the course you're doing in first year but the work is just so basic you don't feel like you're getting pushed enough, but if you didn't get the grades you wanted at sixth form/college or you've been out of education for a while it's a good option to get into uni.

It's also good because after you've finished the foundation year, you'll be going into first year already knowing the basics about your subject and you'll know the campus quite well. You have to do small essays as well so you'll already know how UWE like their essays referenced and you get lots of tips on how to structure them too which puts you at an advantage compared to those just starting first year.

Hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much!! really appreciate it!
Original post by thegeorgeevans
I’ve applied to foundation law & business at UWE, would also like to hear what other people have to say!

I'm doing exactly the same! What will you be carrying on to study after the foundation year? Both business and law or one or the other?
Original post by milliekennedy99
I'm doing exactly the same! What will you be carrying on to study after the foundation year? Both business and law or one or the other?

maybe carry on with both, or move elsewhere within the department to banking & finance - i’ll see how I get on! how about yourself?
Original post by thegeorgeevans
maybe carry on with both, or move elsewhere within the department to banking & finance - i’ll see how I get on! how about yourself?

Nice! The likelihood is I'll progress on to do an LLB but i'm open to seeing how I like the business modules - seeing how it goes like yourself.
Planning to go to UWE Bristol in September to study Law with a foundation year but I have no idea what to expect from the foundation year, is it just all group work that is irrelevant to Law or is it not too bad?

Hey! Sorry to bother you!

I just went to an applicant day yesterday for the same course and it looked amazing. How many people are there on your course? Also do you have your lectures in the 4X112 (big lecture Harvard style room )?

how are you finding the student accommodation and the student life? I've heard that it can be quite isolating and that it depends on the people you live with. Is the transport as bad as they make it?

Thank you for your time!
Reply 9
There’s around 200 on the course, split into different groups, so quite a lot! This year the lectures for each module have been in the ECC lecture theatre because all 200 foundation students have our lectures at the same time, but all the workshops are in the business and law building which is nice and new, you only have 2/3 lectures a week and for me they’ve all been on the same day and every other day are 2/3 hour workshops relating to the lectures.

I can’t comment too much on student living because I commute, I only live 20 minute away but a couple of my friends live there and they absolute love it and they’ve made great friends with their flat mates :smile: The transport isn’t too bad, always busses running!
There’s around 200 on the course, split into different groups, so quite a lot! This year the lectures for each module have been in the ECC lecture theatre because all 200 foundation students have our lectures at the same time, but all the workshops are in the business and law building which is nice and new, you only have 2/3 lectures a week and for me they’ve all been on the same day and every other day are 2/3 hour workshops relating to the lectures.

I can’t comment too much on student living because I commute, I only live 20 minute away but a couple of my friends live there and they absolute love it and they’ve made great friends with their flat mates :smile: The transport isn’t too bad, always busses running!

Hey! Thank you for getting back to me! What do you usually do in workshops and did you find that your tutors are easy to talk to/ get a hold of?

How much did you spend on books this year? Also...do you happen to know if there are any bursaries for EU student? I found something on their website but it only applies to UK students...

Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by StudentLLB
Hey! Thank you for getting back to me! What do you usually do in workshops and did you find that your tutors are easy to talk to/ get a hold of?

How much did you spend on books this year? Also...do you happen to know if there are any bursaries for EU student? I found something on their website but it only applies to UK students...

Thank you!

In workshops the lecturers go through slides on PowerPoint that relate to the lectures then they tend to make you work in groups on a task. I found that this year whoever people sat with on the first day then ended up making friends with and staying on the same tables for the rest of the year. The group work is always very easy too. If you ever need help the tutors are easy to get a hold of too.

In the foundation year you don’t have to purchase any books, any that you may need for essays and research you can access online via the UWE library or you can visit the library and take out books if you wish.

About the bursaries, I’m not too sure sorry! Maybe give the uni a call and find out? Hope this helps :smile:
In workshops the lecturers go through slides on PowerPoint that relate to the lectures then they tend to make you work in groups on a task. I found that this year whoever people sat with on the first day then ended up making friends with and staying on the same tables for the rest of the year. The group work is always very easy too. If you ever need help the tutors are easy to get a hold of too.

In the foundation year you don’t have to purchase any books, any that you may need for essays and research you can access online via the UWE library or you can visit the library and take out books if you wish.

About the bursaries, I’m not too sure sorry! Maybe give the uni a call and find out? Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much!!! It all makes so much more sense!
Do you know how hard it is for UWE students to get law placements?

Good luck on your course!
Reply 13
Original post by StudentLLB
Thank you so much!!! It all makes so much more sense!
Do you know how hard it is for UWE students to get law placements?

Good luck on your course!

They do lots of law events where you get to meet employers and they offer a lot of help finding placements so it doesn’t seem too hard :smile: Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest