Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many hours of lectures, classes and seminars does an Economics degree have on average every week. How much self studying a week should you do aswell.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MercrutioCaius)
    How many hours of lectures, classes and seminars does an Economics degree have on average every week. How much self studying a week should you do aswell.
    So, bearing in mind that I do Business Finance & Economics, the economics side of things take up 80 credits, the accounting/finance 40 credits. (so 2:1 split)!

I have 2 hours Eco lecture, 1 hour seminar, 1 hour workshop per week.
    2 hours Applied Eco lecture, 1 hour seminar per week.
    1 hour Management accounting per week, 1 hour seminar per 2 weeks. (and again for financial accounting!)

My uni, at least, expect you to do 10 hours work per credit... So for a 40 credit module we're expected to do 400 hours worth of work over the year, and that includes seminars, lectures, reading, revision, etc... However, I do nowhere near that... how much you will do will entirely depend on your ability and understanding, and how much you care about a good result...

Self studying, including doing the seminar work prior to seminars, i would say about 1-2 hours per week per subject, but nearer exam times, and when I've got coursework, that goes up significantly, and I may be doing 5-10 hours a week for them...!

ReputationRep:
    I had 2 hours of lectures and a 1 hour seminar per module per week. We took 5 modules a semester, so 15 hours of contact time.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MercrutioCaius)
    It depends a lot on the style of the university. Some will encourage you to self-study whilst others may provide more resources. For reference, in each semester I have 4 modules, with 2 hours of lecture time and 1 hour of tutorials per module. We're expected to contribute a lot of hours to self-study the material, probably at least the amount of contact hours every week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.