MercrutioCaius
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How many hours of lectures, classes and seminars does an Economics degree have on average every week. How much self studying a week should you do aswell.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MercrutioCaius)
How many hours of lectures, classes and seminars does an Economics degree have on average every week. How much self studying a week should you do aswell.
So, bearing in mind that I do Business Finance & Economics, the economics side of things take up 80 credits, the accounting/finance 40 credits. (so 2:1 split)!

I have 2 hours Eco lecture, 1 hour seminar, 1 hour workshop per week.
2 hours Applied Eco lecture, 1 hour seminar per week.
1 hour Management accounting per week, 1 hour seminar per 2 weeks. (and again for financial accounting!)

My uni, at least, expect you to do 10 hours work per credit... So for a 40 credit module we're expected to do 400 hours worth of work over the year, and that includes seminars, lectures, reading, revision, etc... However, I do nowhere near that... how much you will do will entirely depend on your ability and understanding, and how much you care about a good result...

Self studying, including doing the seminar work prior to seminars, i would say about 1-2 hours per week per subject, but nearer exam times, and when I've got coursework, that goes up significantly, and I may be doing 5-10 hours a week for them...!
Speckle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I had 2 hours of lectures and a 1 hour seminar per module per week. We took 5 modules a semester, so 15 hours of contact time.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MercrutioCaius)
It depends a lot on the style of the university. Some will encourage you to self-study whilst others may provide more resources. For reference, in each semester I have 4 modules, with 2 hours of lecture time and 1 hour of tutorials per module. We're expected to contribute a lot of hours to self-study the material, probably at least the amount of contact hours every week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads