Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    l have a good offer from London Southbank for English and Creative Writing and my goal is to have a job in the media or publishing which I am aware big cities are central in this job area. If I chose to live in London I saw the halls and they're not too expensive, but will the second and third year be too much to handle? My other universities don't go over 140pw for accommodation, and I'm worried I'll end up too skint to continue and it would be a waste considering I'm only doing English.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to say that there's a an awful lot of people who want to work in the media or publishing, but a limited number of jobs. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world in which to live, and added to that extra cost must be added the £40,000 average debt of a new student.

You have to decide whether your desire to study this course at that university overrides any more practical financial or commercial decisions you might make.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly wouldn't rule out going to London if you like the uni and the course!
    I thought I wouldn't be able to afford the cost of living in London, but once I factored in the additional maintenance loan I could get for living in London, it pretty much balanced out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I'm just going to say that there's a an awful lot of people who want to work in the media or publishing, but a limited number of jobs. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world in which to live, and added to that extra cost must be added the £40,000 average debt of a new student.

You have to decide whether your desire to study this course at that university overrides any more practical financial or commercial decisions you might make.

I agree, thank you! I understand it will be difficult, and even if I go to a different university I can still try to get a job in cities like London or Cardiff after I graduate. It's just the thought of studying at London is exciting, but also can be dreadful financially. I think I'm going to an applicant visiting day there soon even though it's a five hour drive, just to I can be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianwilks)
    I agree, thank you! I understand it will be difficult, and even if I go to a different university I can still try to get a job in cities like London or Cardiff after I graduate. It's just the thought of studying at London is exciting, but also can be dreadful financially. I think I'm going to an applicant visiting day there soon even though it's a five hour drive, just to I can be sure.
    You're welcome. I think going to an open day is essentially, really: you can't make an informed decision on whether you might be happy there or not without at least seeing it up close. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemmaaa0853)
    I certainly wouldn't rule out going to London if you like the uni and the course!
    I thought I wouldn't be able to afford the cost of living in London, but once I factored in the additional maintenance loan I could get for living in London, it pretty much balanced out.
    Thanks, that's a relief and I saw that the maintenance loan is significantly bigger for living in London understandably... I do like the course, I'm going to try going to the uni soon to see if I like the place but I'll have to stay there for the night but it'll be worth it just to rule it out or decide for sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianwilks)
    l have a good offer from London Southbank for English and Creative Writing and my goal is to have a job in the media or publishing which I am aware big cities are central in this job area. If I chose to live in London I saw the halls and they're not too expensive, but will the second and third year be too much to handle? My other universities don't go over 140pw for accommodation, and I'm worried I'll end up too skint to continue and it would be a waste considering I'm only doing English.
    You can stay in halls throughout 2nd and 3rd year also, there are even Masters students still in halls.

Your expenses are pretty average tbh, and there are many student pubs with very good prices, a personal favourite is the Dover Castle, it offers a relaxed casual vibe with a active nightlife and pool table. There's a strong bar and always something interesting going on, for example i once witnessed a fellow student have his Rugby shorts pulled down whilst playing pool, unfazed he picked up the cue chalk and proceed to chalk his nob whilst lining it up for the next shot!... the pub was in hysterics as he was promptly removed from the bar!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.