The Student Room Group

My friend is having doubts about going to uni but she leaves in two weeks

So my best friend is set to go to the university of brighton, easttourne campus to study adult nursing, but she called me yesterday and told me she didnt want to go, ie she didnt want to leave home and her newish boyfriend and ofc her dogs..
i told her to not let those things stop her from moving on with her life, obviously she has to leave home at some point, but she also said she wasnt sure she even wanted to be a nurse? what do i do? do i tell her to to just go and if it doesnt work out, drop out and reapply for sept 17 entry for a different course, or do i tell her not to go at all? she has her house sorted and everything, just has dbs checks left
i dont want her to go and not enjoy herself but as shes starting in feb, she only gets 7 weeks of holiday a year and brighton is 6 hours away from where we live (im currently at UH in hatfield which is 3 hours away and although i miss home, i do love it here)
suggestions?? ty
Original post by mamaroach97
So my best friend is set to go to the university of brighton, easttourne campus to study adult nursing, but she called me yesterday and told me she didnt want to go, ie she didnt want to leave home and her newish boyfriend and ofc her dogs..
i told her to not let those things stop her from moving on with her life, obviously she has to leave home at some point, but she also said she wasnt sure she even wanted to be a nurse? what do i do? do i tell her to to just go and if it doesnt work out, drop out and reapply for sept 17 entry for a different course, or do i tell her not to go at all? she has her house sorted and everything, just has dbs checks left
i dont want her to go and not enjoy herself but as shes starting in feb, she only gets 7 weeks of holiday a year and brighton is 6 hours away from where we live (im currently at UH in hatfield which is 3 hours away and although i miss home, i do love it here)
suggestions?? ty

I don't think this is entirely unnatural to have about going away to uni, and I think more people than we all realise feel this way... I think it'd be worth urging her to give it a go and do it, because if she doesn't do it now, will this same problem happen in September if she re-applied and got in somewhere then...?

From my experience talking to people, once they've got there, get stuck in and make friends, many of their worries and nervousness about leaving home and going go, and they have an absolutely fantastic time, thinking back, wondering why they were even like that in the first place...!
Original post by mamaroach97
suggestions?? ty

Hello,

Going to university is an extremely challenging time and it's completely normal for people to have doubts when they are about to go. Especially if they are moving away from a routine they have had for many years - it's a time of adapting to a new surrounding and life style and it can be daunting.

My suggestion for you is to be supportive and reassuring. Tell her she just needs to take the plunge and try it. She can always drop out and there is no shame in that - she has to at least try and pursue this line and she may discover that it isn't for her and there is no shame in that - a lot of people go to university and find out what they are studying isn't what they want to do and there is no shame in dropping out. She is only young and has her whole life ahead of her to decide what and where she wants to go.

Just remind her that it's best to take the plunge and find out first hand after giving it ago as oppose to not going and then maybe later regretting it.

Quick Reply

Latest