Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,

Recently in my geography lessons I have noticed I keep achieving around 7/10 in the ten markers and around 10-11/15 in fifteen markers. This is worrying because for my university choices I desperately need an A in geography in order to go onto my course.

If anyone has any advice on how to achieve the higher marks please help me out. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have a similar problem and what I found useful was looking at the teacher comments that was given after every essay I did for homework. I found that there was a pattern and based on that I tried to work on those small things I needed to improve.
    If you have any specific problems that you have with these questions, it would make it easier to tackle.

Generic advice on the essays:
    10 marker: be very analytical with the figure given to you - my teacher has always told me there is something specific they always want you to draw out from the resources they give you.

15 marker: structure and range is key!
    Structure will only come with a quick plan before you start writing, I've only started getting the hang of doing this and it makes a difference.

Always include introduction - define keywords and hint at the case studies and points you will make.

As well as an intro, always, always bring in a conclusion of your own opinion, perhaps on the most successful scheme for example (that is for a question that says 'evaluate' or 'assess'). In the conclusion, bring out other synoptic links such as climate change or technology for example. - only when it is relevant to the question.

Range - our teacher has got us stuck to a weird mnemonic to get in all the factors as possible. Use this to write the factors next to your point so you can see the balance of points you would be making in your essay.
    SPPEEDHCT - stands for Social, Physical,Political, Economic, Environment, Demographic, Historical, Cultural and Technological.

Hopefully this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxhashim)
    Hi,
    I have a similar problem and what I found useful was looking at the teacher comments that was given after every essay I did for homework. I found that there was a pattern and based on that I tried to work on those small things I needed to improve.
    If you have any specific problems that you have with these questions, it would make it easier to tackle.

Generic advice on the essays:
    10 marker: be very analytical with the figure given to you - my teacher has always told me there is something specific they always want you to draw out from the resources they give you.

15 marker: structure and range is key!
    Structure will only come with a quick plan before you start writing, I've only started getting the hang of doing this and it makes a difference.

Always include introduction - define keywords and hint at the case studies and points you will make.

As well as an intro, always, always bring in a conclusion of your own opinion, perhaps on the most successful scheme for example (that is for a question that says 'evaluate' or 'assess'. In the conclusion, bring out other synoptic links such as climate change or technology for example. - only when it is relevant to the question.

Range - our teacher has got us stuck to a weird mnemonic to get in all the factors as possible. Use this to write the factors next to your point so you can see the balance of points you would be making in your essay.
    SPPEEDHCT - stands for Social, Physical,Political, Economic, Environment, Demographic, Historical, Cultural and Technological.

Hopefully this helps
    Thank you very much really appreciate this. I will try and take this on board. Many thanks👌

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.