Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe in God?

ReputationRep:
    why would anybody believe in god? I really don't understand it
    the only people who do happen to believe are people who've clearly been indoctrinated into it by their family
    and blatant indoctrination isn't what I'd call a credible source of a belief. it's sociological, not rational.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 7 months ago I was a strict Atheist.

In the last 7 months A LOT of life-changing things have happened that I'm not sharing but the answer is Yes, I actually do.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazon_Lover)
    Do you believe in God?
    I do indeed :jebus:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    why would anybody believe in god? I really don't understand it
    the only people who do happen to believe are people who've clearly been indoctrinated into it by their family
    and blatant indoctrination isn't what I'd call a credible source of a belief. it's sociological, not rational.
    Dude, literally over half of the population of the planet believe in a God, you are in the minority here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    If I was a delusional moron who believes in fanciful things without external evidence...yes.
    You literally just insulted over 3.5 billion people. You're a wonderful person.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, my life would be pointless if I didn't.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you mean by god, but certainly not the god of any of the religions I am aware of. I'm willing to concede the possibility that there are some god-like beings in the universe, so in that sense I'm agnostic.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I dance to this every night:jebus:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sawniku)
    Dude, literally over half of the population of the planet believe in a God, you are in the minority here.
    um buddy, reality isn't a democracy. if that were the case, it would have been a fact that the earth was flat only mere hundreds of years ago. but is it or was it ever? do you think that emotions and (wrong) opinions constitute reality as we can measure it? because that's pretty much the polar opposite of science. if a majority of people on an aeroplane disagreed with the pilot's manuvering, does that mean they ought to take over in the cockpit regardless of their huge lack of knowledge and qualification to do such a thing? because to me, most people in the world are idiots, either due to lack of education or despite it.

ReputationRep:
    um buddy, reality isn't a democracy. if that were the case, it would have been a fact that the earth was flat only mere hundreds of years ago. but is it or was it ever? do you think that emotions and (wrong) opinions constitute reality as we can measure it? because that's pretty much the polar opposite of science.
    I don't really care who is right or wrong, if people want to believe in God, let them be, no need to insult their beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    It is foolish to be a committed atheist since we cannot prove that God does not exist and the mysteries of nature are as yet beyond our comprehension. However, I see the concept as a quantum or metaphysical manifestation rather than the anthropomorphic God of classical theism.

My own specific belief is that God is dead and it is the driving force of civilisation ( the reason for its existence as the universe experiencing itself) to bring about the rebirth of God, completing the spiritual cycle of creation.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care who is right or wrong, if people want to believe in God, let them be, no need to insult their beliefs.
    so now you're changing the subject lol
    and what the ****, if they're allowed their beliefs, why on earth am I not allowed my own? their beliefs insult my very humanity (many of those religions would technically mandate that I be stoned, as a bisexual male), so I'll very happily insult theirs. and honestly, being offended doesn't make you right. being offended probably means more or less the opposite - if you were confident in the reality of your beliefs, how would you be offended by its opposition? sounds like terribly shakey foundations. do you ever hear scientists being "offended" by creationists? no - because they have evidence that creationists are retarded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazon_Lover)
    Do you believe in God?

ReputationRep:
    so now you're changing the subject lol
    and what the ****, if they're allowed their beliefs, why on earth am I not allowed my own? their beliefs insult my very humanity (many of those religions would technically mandate that I be stoned, as a bisexual male), so I'll very happily insult theirs. and honestly, being offended doesn't make you right. being offended probably means more or less the opposite - if you were confident in the reality of your beliefs, how would you be offended by its opposition? sounds like terribly shaky foundations. do you ever hear scientists being "offended" by creationists? no - because they have evidence that creationists are retarded
    I'll be honest, I hate some religious people as well. I hate extremists, I hate people that don't allow for certain human rights (e.g. homosexuality, transgender etc.), I hate people that try to shove religion down your throats. But judging all religious people on these assumptions isn't going to get anyone anywhere. Everyone has the right to express their own opinions, that's fine, but don't shove it down people's throats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I take that as a no?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, I hate some religious people as well. I hate extremists, I hate people that don't allow for certain human rights (e.g. homosexuality, transgender etc.), I hate people that try to shove religion down your throats. But judging all religious people on these assumptions isn't going to get anyone anywhere. Everyone has the right to express their own opinions, that's fine, but don't shove it down people's throats.
    do you not think it's a little different when these beliefs are derived from texts that command the death of me? surely it's in proportion? also, I understand that christians, for example, are mostly secular people and only believe in the religion to a very minimalist degree. muslims, on the other hand, take their religion "as gospel".

ReputationRep:
    I take that as a no?
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on how you ask the question.
    Also, they believe in many different gods. They cant all be right...but they can all be wrong.

Argumentum ad populum is not a good reason for accepting anything.
    More than half the population used to think that the sun orbited the earth. Did that make it true?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.